Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

Kitty and the Midnight Hour

by Carrie Vaughn

Series: Kitty Norville (1)

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, both first person narratives with shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (francescadefreitas)
    Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Kitty series isn't quite as good as Wilks's Lupi series (in my opinion) but if you enjoyed one I think you're likely to enjoy the other. Both are urban fantasies with a werewolf theme. The Lupi series is well written with engaging characters in an interesting urban fantasy world, quite fast paced with some romance too :o). The Kitty series is good fun despite the occasional daft plot premise and unexplainable actions by characters.
    ps Patricia Brigg's Mercy series - starting with Moon Called - outshines both of these, but someone's already recommended that here so I had to make do with second best!
    … (more)
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (shadiphoenix)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Similar themes of "woman finding her place among peers/friends as she grows into her skills/strengths".

It feels refreshing to have a book focusing on a werewolf instead of a vampire in urban fantasy. I'm liking the establishment of character in the first two chapters, plus revealing at least one antagonist. The author created a unique world, which is also nice. It was fun to watch her grow as her radio show grows, as the book progresses. So often the protagonist isn't the one changing in these books.

The first third felt strong. The next third of the book, the plot became very diffuse. I honestly had trouble finding anything more than her internal struggles. Pack politics seems rather understated, all things considered. The radio show, which was the big plot device, has fallen to a lesser position. And what's with Cormac the bounty hunter and our happy little wolf going vixen on him ? The addition of the vamps seems like an editorial suggestion of "if you have any super, you have to have them all." I hate editorial meddling of that nature.

This definitely felt like a story where the pack Omega becomes stronger than expected and throws the pack out of sorts. Which usually also creates more plot lines for future books.

Again I come across details placed too late in the book to make them not seem like "OMG! REALLY?!" type reveals. You didn't get a full sense of the character's animosity until past the half way point. Or even hints of her duplicitous nature. This doesn't work well when one wants to point the finger as the first book's main protagonist. In fact, it makes it feel like a sudden left turn. It might add a few pages but the extra plot hints would be worth it.

The last twenty five pages or so bring the focus back to the plot, moving us to a conclusion. It felt like a good, strong ending, with many possibles. With all this did, I'd love to give this more than three stars but it just doesn't get that high for me. Thankfully, this is book one. Can't wait to see where we go from here. ( )
  gilroy | Jun 16, 2017 |
Kitty is a radio DJ in Denver who just happens to be a werewolf. When someone calls in and she starts giving otherworldly advice, a late-night show for vampires, werewolves and the like becomes "The Midnight Hour." But Kitty's new show isn't popular with everyone - a bigwig vampire named Arturo talks her pack leader Karl into telling her to stop, and someone's out for Kitty's life.

I'm not sure quite what to make of this first book in the series, though I think much of my trouble comes from listening to it as an audiobook. I'm just not an aural learner, so it takes longer for me to "read" through and I miss more details. The premise was interesting, the story compelling, and explaining werewolf pack and vampire family dynamics was decent worldbuilding, though at the same time entirely messed up. I liked Kitty as a character and seeing her come into her own, though some of the scenes were too violent for my taste. A promising start for fans of urban paranormal fantasy series. ( )
  bell7 | Mar 27, 2017 |
Tried to like this one, but I just couldn’t grok it, sorry.

I get that we aren’t supposed to approve of the abusive and dysfunctional pack dynamics, which keep Kitty in a state of forced dependency on her abusers. I get that the whole point of the story is her growing, realizing how messed up things are, getting stronger, and getting out of this bad situation. But I still found those parts so uncomfortable/painful to read. Kitty is accustomed to being raped and beat up and humiliated by her pack’s alpha. She also has to give up half her pay check to him - very cult-like - and he tries to control her human life, job, etc. as well. And again, I get that this isn’t meant to be read as a good situation, but I still couldn’t stomach it.

Then we have some extremely weak characterization and world building. Kitty herself is a fairly complex character, with a significant struggle to overcome (learning to recognize abuse and stand up for herself) however everyone else in the book is one-dimensional and leaves no lasting impression. The world building is some of the most basic werewolf and vampire stuff that we’ve seen in a million other urban fantasy/paranormal romance titles. The part that really killed it for me was how, at the beginning of the novel most people aren’t supposed to know these creatures are real, but as soon as Kitty starts her midnight radio talk show people immediately take it seriously, and when she announces she’s a werewolf on the air everyone just believes it - not only her fans, but her parents and even the police! No one is skeptical or even asks for proof! I read a lot of fantasy/science fiction and I don’t normally complain about a book “ruining my suspension of disbelief” but yeah, that did it.

There’s also a ton of problems surrounding Kitty’s love interest, Cormac - a werewolf assassin who comes to the radio station while she is working to murder her. Yep, that’s the love interest. Attempted murder is. . . . sexy? Despite Cormac’s threats being recorded by the radio station the police let him go because Kitty - still far too passive and submissive - drops all charges. (I honestly don’t think that would be enough for the police to release him, given the circumstances, anyway, but whatever.) THEN, compounding the stupidity, Kitty is bombarded by callers on her radio show suggesting she hook up with her would-be assassin. This part really weirded me out. If you are a fan of a celebrity or whatever, and you heard about someone trying to murder them, would you tell them to hook up with that person?? WTF. ( )
  catfantastic | Dec 6, 2016 |
The writing style was choppy and it read like the first in a series... As in there were about a twenty unresolved plot lines. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Although I found a lot of the characters (excluding Kitty) to be a bit detached, I really enjoyed it. I found that I just didn't want to put it down. I hope the characters are a bit more interesting in the next one. I really liked Kitty. I like Cormac and all but just found him a bit bland, the sames goes for Carl, Meg and T.J. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McRee, Giorgettta BellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puckey,DonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first one's for Mom and Dad. Thanks for all the stamps.
I tossed my backpack in a corner of the studio and highfived Rodney on his way out.
I'd killed him. I'd killed my self-defense instructor. Shit.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446616419, Mass Market Paperback)

Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station?and a werewolf in the closet. Her new late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged is a raging success, but it?s Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:18 -0400)

When Kitty Norville, a DJ for a Denver radio station and a secret werewolf, accidentally launches a late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged, she becomes the target of a werewolf hunter and several homicidal undead.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,174,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible