Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville…

Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville Series, Book 1) (edition 2005)

by Carrie Vaughn

Member:quetitia
Title:Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville Series, Book 1)
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:SFF, Series: Kitty Norville

Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, both first person narratives with shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (francescadefreitas)
    Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Kitty series isn't quite as good as Wilks's Lupi series (in my opinion) but if you enjoyed one I think you're likely to enjoy the other. Both are urban fantasies with a werewolf theme. The Lupi series is well written with engaging characters in an interesting urban fantasy world, quite fast paced with some romance too :o). The Kitty series is good fun despite the occasional daft plot premise and unexplainable actions by characters.
    ps Patricia Brigg's Mercy series - starting with Moon Called - outshines both of these, but someone's already recommended that here so I had to make do with second best!
    … (more)
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (shadiphoenix)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Similar themes of "woman finding her place among peers/friends as she grows into her skills/strengths".

I thoroughly enjoyed settling back into nascent Kitty. In the later books she gets all tuff 'n' stuff and takes on the world, here she decides who and what she wants to be.

First, I love Kitty's sense of humor as much as the very real, well, weakness she experiences. That isn't the precise word I'm looking for; I mean the feeling of writhing worthlessness, of unimportance she feels in the face of Carl and Meg's alpha-ness. I mean the deep seated driving need to please those she perceives as able and willing to protect her. When I went through these books originally, I felt that Kitty was kind of an unbelievable character because of this weakness contrasting with all she accomplishes. I think I see her valid reactions to her experiences as a different kind of strength these days.

The novel interrogates symbols of everything from LBGTQ rights to rape and abusive relationships; in short, hitting home for the socially disenfranchised.

In the wake of the Dresden Files, chock full of white horses, damsel saving, and peripherally questioning accepted constructs of masculinity, Kitty is indeed a breath of fresh feminist air.

A late night radio DJ who happens upon a talk show idea by accident, Kitty discusses topics revolving around the supernatural and how it intersects with, shall we say, "straight" reality. What exactly are vampirism and lycanthropy? Magic? The government has a study coding them as diseases. How should afflicted individuals be held/housed within the prison system? Should they be incorporated into police forces? What about licensing government officals to hunt down "rogue" paranormals?

Any of this sound familiar? Because it is the same issues faced by LGBTQ people, Hispanics, African Americans, the Japanese before them, the Chinese before the Japanese, and the Irish before that. For all our big talk about the wonderous melting pot that is the USA, we always seem to find some demographic to declare as unnatural, subhuman, "other," and not-as-important-as-we,-the-majority.

Urban fantasy takes this reality and runs with it.

Kitty learns about standing up for herself, on top of tackling all these identity questions about what it means to be different in a society that fears those it perceives as "different." After all, standing up to bullies abusing their power to get money and sex looks a scary lot like the real world some days.

Protection that demands the sacrifice of self isn't protection; it is abuse. Kitty even recognizes that when she says that if the interaction with Carl were on a purely human level, she would be expected to leave because it is abuse. And that is the kicker, isn't it. There is always an excuse, always a reason why *this* situation isn't abuse, but gosh, if it were a slightly different context it would be. The paranormal element is Kitty's rationalization in the beginning of the novel. Vaughn really captures the inner turmoil surrounding the process of recognizing abusive power dynamics and the extraordinary, bone wrenching difficulty in transcending such situations.

I wish I'd found these books earlier in my life. As it was, Mercedes Thompson saw me through my bad spots. Kitty would have been a good role model for me; she still is. ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
I was quite surprised; I really liked this book. I thought it would just be something mindless until I could figure out what I REALLY wanted to read next, but it wasn't. It was just a generally good book. I wouldn't necessarily read it again, but I'd definitely recommend it to others.

It was different approach to your typical werewolf/vampire/supernatural novel. As usual, there's the uncomfortable feud between vampires and werewolves. I enjoyed, however, that though strained, there could be a friendship and mutual respect between these two groups, which the author displays several times. This is best exemplified in Kitty's interactions with Rick and Arturo, both of whom I wish I'd known more about, although I must admit that it wouldn't really fit into the story line. The vampire Family is basically just there to cause a little bit of trouble and create drama. They do their job perfectly.

The author, in my opinion, did an excellent job diving into an area of the werewolf's story that we don't really see much of. She incorporates the idea of a pack mentality and hierarchy, just like other wolves. I enjoy how this plays out through out the novel, and it really makes the end mildly shocking and equally disappointing. It's not that it's a bad ending, it's just... It's not what I was hoping for, I guess, although I suppose what I wanted the ending to be would have made it predictable.

After reading the sample from the next installment, and considering the topic of it, I wouldn't say I'd go out of my way to read it, but if I should stumble across a copy in my adventures I definitely wouldn't rid myself of it without reading it first. Once Kitty finally grows a backbone, she's a very likable character and I would enjoy hearing more about her escapades, I only wish that certain characters would be with her, and I know they won't be. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. Kitty is a different kind of character for me. A few scenes were jarring and quite graphic which was fine but caught me off guard. I'll definitely be listening to another book in the future. 3.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 10, 2014 |
Not the most sophisticated writing in the world, but the characters and the story are cute and often poignant. She asks the hard questions about life as something more than human. A great paranormal series. ( )
  ClosetWryter | Mar 3, 2014 |
The first in the series. The main premise of the story, that she could host a call-in radio show as a widely-known werewolf, becomes increasingly difficult to sustain. The antagonists are almost ridiculously inept and awful at the climax, and I would guess that the author refined the art of characterization in later books. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first one's for Mom and Dad. Thanks for all the stamps.
I tossed my backpack in a corner of the studio and highfived Rodney on his way out.
I'd killed him. I'd killed my self-defense instructor. Shit.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446616419, Mass Market Paperback)

Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station?and a werewolf in the closet. Her new late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged is a raging success, but it?s Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:11 -0400)

When Kitty Norville, a DJ for a Denver radio station and a secret werewolf, accidentally launches a late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged, she becomes the target of a werewolf hunter and several homicidal undead.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible