Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville…

Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville Series, Book 1) (edition 2005)

by Carrie Vaughn

Title:Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville Series, Book 1)
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:SFF, Series: Kitty Norville

Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, both first person narratives with shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Cry Wolf (Alpha and Omega, Book 1) by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (francescadefreitas)
    Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Kitty series isn't quite as good as Wilks's Lupi series (in my opinion) but if you enjoyed one I think you're likely to enjoy the other. Both are urban fantasies with a werewolf theme. The Lupi series is well written with engaging characters in an interesting urban fantasy world, quite fast paced with some romance too :o). The Kitty series is good fun despite the occasional daft plot premise and unexplainable actions by characters.
    ps Patricia Brigg's Mercy series - starting with Moon Called - outshines both of these, but someone's already recommended that here so I had to make do with second best!
    … (more)
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (shadiphoenix)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Similar themes of "woman finding her place among peers/friends as she grows into her skills/strengths".

The writing style was choppy and it read like the first in a series... As in there were about a twenty unresolved plot lines. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Although I found a lot of the characters (excluding Kitty) to be a bit detached, I really enjoyed it. I found that I just didn't want to put it down. I hope the characters are a bit more interesting in the next one. I really liked Kitty. I like Cormac and all but just found him a bit bland, the sames goes for Carl, Meg and T.J. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
This has been on my to-read list for a WHILE, but there’s only so much paranormal romance I can read at once, so between Jeaniene Frost, Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, and Kelley Armstrong, I’ve been pretty booked — so to speak. But, I’ve finally found the time to read this, and I am glad I did.

My favorite part is that the supernatural world is actually portrayed by Kitty as being weird. She doesn’t blindly accept werewolf rules and completely buy into the alpha/pack thing — it freaks her out and she’s constantly trying to reconcile what she knows as a human and how she feels as a wolf, which was interesting and unique, at least in terms of comparing to other paranormal books I’ve read. I also like that she starts off as the bottom of the pack and has that conflict between her human life and wolf life. Basically, Vaughn does a great job in contrasting Kitty’s wolf and human life and putting them in constant conflict. It makes for an engaging read.

I do think the “romance” between Kitty and the hunter was handled a little clumsily. I get that they need to have somewhat of an attraction for each other in order to move the story forward, but I think it was rather awkwardly fast, even with all of the drama going on. As a rule, I don’t particularly like how a lot of romance is done in books anyway, so I’m getting used to getting disappointed by strangely unrealistic portrayals of relationships.

Overall, this book surprised me quite a bit and I enjoyed the picture it painted of the supernatural world and how it interacts with the human world. In the future books, I’m hoping to see more consequences from Kitty openly admitting to being supernatural, and hopefully I get to see more of this world at work and how other packs/supernaturals interact with each other. We’ll see how quickly it’ll take me to get to book 2. :p

Originally posted on Going on to the Next. ( )
  sedelia | May 24, 2016 |
Kitty is a young werewolf trying to live her own life. Distressed by her new life as an otherworldly creature, she begins a radio talk show about manners, customs and sensible advice for nonhumans. In so doing, she begins to reclaim the confidence she lost when she was turned. The radio show is amusing, but the most interesting part of this book is its examination (from a formerly human perspective) of the power dynamics of a werewolf pack. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I picked this up as a random audiobook from the library. While nothing about it amazed me, I was amused throughout the entirety of it. Kitty's 'I've always been weak' bothered me, but it was also always in context of 'I'm not anymore,' so I dealt with it. I did feel like the book didn't really accomplish anything significant. The smaller mystery was solved, but the primary conflict wasn't and the book felt a little like a randomly selected period of time. But as a basic fluff read, the book did the job admirably. My library has the next two. I imagine I'll listen to them at some point. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McRee, Giorgettta BellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puckey,DonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first one's for Mom and Dad. Thanks for all the stamps.
I tossed my backpack in a corner of the studio and highfived Rodney on his way out.
I'd killed him. I'd killed my self-defense instructor. Shit.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446616419, Mass Market Paperback)

Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station?and a werewolf in the closet. Her new late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged is a raging success, but it?s Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:18 -0400)

When Kitty Norville, a DJ for a Denver radio station and a secret werewolf, accidentally launches a late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged, she becomes the target of a werewolf hunter and several homicidal undead.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,696,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible