Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville…

Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville Series, Book 1) (edition 2005)

by Carrie Vaughn

2,073None3,219 (3.7)98
Member:sidhevicious
Title:Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville Series, Book 1)
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:Keeper Shelf, Urban Fantasy, Werewolves, Vampire

Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

Carrie Vaughn (19) ebook (19) fantasy (192) fiction (130) horror (14) Kindle (13) kitty (19) Kitty Norville (75) kitty norville series (21) mystery (17) novel (11) own (16) paperback (14) paranormal (109) paranormal romance (23) radio (21) read (37) romance (23) science fiction (12) series (45) sf (10) sff (26) shapeshifters (39) supernatural (41) to-read (45) unread (14) urban (13) urban fantasy (231) vampires (159) werewolves (290)
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, both first person narratives with shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (francescadefreitas)
    Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Kitty series isn't quite as good as Wilks's Lupi series (in my opinion) but if you enjoyed one I think you're likely to enjoy the other. Both are urban fantasies with a werewolf theme. The Lupi series is well written with engaging characters in an interesting urban fantasy world, quite fast paced with some romance too :o). The Kitty series is good fun despite the occasional daft plot premise and unexplainable actions by characters.
    ps Patricia Brigg's Mercy series - starting with Moon Called - outshines both of these, but someone's already recommended that here so I had to make do with second best!
    … (more)
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (shadiphoenix)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Similar themes of "woman finding her place among peers/friends as she grows into her skills/strengths".

Not the most sophisticated writing in the world, but the characters and the story are cute and often poignant. She asks the hard questions about life as something more than human. A great paranormal series. ( )
  ClosetWryter | Mar 3, 2014 |
The first in the series. The main premise of the story, that she could host a call-in radio show as a widely-known werewolf, becomes increasingly difficult to sustain. The antagonists are almost ridiculously inept and awful at the climax, and I would guess that the author refined the art of characterization in later books. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |
I picked up an ARC of Kitty's Greatest Hits a while back, but decided to put off reading it until I'd at least read the first book in the series. When I spotted Kitty and the Midnight Hour at a used bookstore, I snatched it up. It was a quick read, and Kitty's “voice” was appealing enough, when she wasn't cringing around Carl. Unfortunately, it didn't really work for me.

The first thing that put me off was Carl, the alpha male of Kitty's pack. I could believe that he was physically strong, but he was in no way an alpha. He should never, ever have been anyone's leader. Ever.

Kitty became all whimpery and submissive around him, supposedly because low-status werewolves like her couldn't help but be that way around alphas. It annoyed me, at first, until I realized that the relationship was essentially an abusive one. Carl had sex with her both because he wanted to and because it was a way to prove his dominance over her. Part of the reason he didn't want Kitty to have her own radio show was because it was inspiring her to become more independent.

Their relationship became even more repugnant when, later in the book, Kitty explained to another character how she became a werewolf: after being raped by a human guy she'd gone out with, she was attacked by a werewolf named Zan. Carl and the rest of the pack took her in, figured out pretty quickly she'd been raped before she'd been attacked...and sometime between then and the beginning of the book, Kitty became one of the low-status werewolves Carl could have sex with anytime he wanted.

It's pretty much a given anymore that urban fantasy, particularly urban fantasy starring a female main character, will feature romance. Please, I said to myself, please don't let Carl be one of Kitty's love interests. He wasn't, thank goodness, but I wasn't much happier with the guy who was.

T.J. would have been perfect for Kitty. She was comfortable around him, and he did his best to watch out for her, even though this often put him in danger. Pretty much the only thing standing between them was the fact that T.J. was gay. I couldn't help but think that he was gay primarily to keep readers from mentally matching Kitty up with the “wrong” guy. So, who was the “right” guy? An assassin who specialized in killing supernatural beings and who first met Kitty shortly after she talked him out of killing her. Kitty continued to call him and visit him after that, because he made her feel safe. Right. That, there, was a good sign of just how dysfunctional Kitty's pack was.

Besides her incredibly dysfunctional pack, there were two main things Kitty had to deal with in this book. One, a request from a vampire to look into a man named Elijah Smith, who claimed he could heal vampirism but who was maybe operating some kind of cult. And two, various murders being committed by a rogue werewolf (I figured out who the rogue was less than halfway through).

The problem was that Kitty was a radio DJ. Here's a quote that best sums how I felt about the part she played much of the story: “I hadn't done anything. I couldn't do anything. I was trapped behind the mike.” (155) Kitty did a bit of research on Elijah Smith, but the real action happened elsewhere. Same with the murders, until the end – Detective Hardin was the one doing the investigating, and Kitty was called in from time to time because she was the only werewolf Hardin knew of. While other people were doing the more interesting stuff, Kitty was busy talking to callers at the radio station.

I'll finish up by talking about the world-building. This had to be the most blah “supernaturals coming out of the closet” story ever. Kitty admitted to being a werewolf while she was on the air, and then didn't even try to lie about it and shrug it off later. If everyone but her crazy (or supernatural) callers had just dismissed it as some kind of publicity stunt, it'd have been one thing, but then Detective Hardin started calling Kitty over to the scenes of murders potentially committed by werewolves and barely seemed fazed by the whole “werewolves are real” thing. And the various supernatural beings didn't seem nearly freaked out enough about Kitty revealing their existence on the radio (late-night radio, but still).

Now that I've read this book, I might finally read Kitty's Greatest Hits, but only because I already have it in my possession. I have no desire to hunt down any of the other books in this series.

(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Dec 16, 2013 |
Apparently my book picking instinct is seriously out of whack these days!
It isn't like I was expecting high literature here, but I was hoping for more then mary sue drabble. I only made it thirty pages in before deciding it was really not worth my time - a first. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
~3.5 ( )
  page.fault | Sep 21, 2013 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first one's for Mom and Dad. Thanks for all the stamps.
I tossed my backpack in a corner of the studio and highfived Rodney on his way out.
I'd killed him. I'd killed my self-defense instructor. Shit.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446616419, Mass Market Paperback)

Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station?and a werewolf in the closet. Her new late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged is a raging success, but it?s Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:11 -0400)

When Kitty Norville, a DJ for a Denver radio station and a secret werewolf, accidentally launches a late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged, she becomes the target of a werewolf hunter and several homicidal undead.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible