Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville,…

Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, Book 1) (edition 2005)

by Carrie Vaughn

Member:joykenn
Title:Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, Book 1)
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:shifter, Kindle book

Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, both first person narratives with shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (francescadefreitas)
    Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Kitty series isn't quite as good as Wilks's Lupi series (in my opinion) but if you enjoyed one I think you're likely to enjoy the other. Both are urban fantasies with a werewolf theme. The Lupi series is well written with engaging characters in an interesting urban fantasy world, quite fast paced with some romance too :o). The Kitty series is good fun despite the occasional daft plot premise and unexplainable actions by characters.
    ps Patricia Brigg's Mercy series - starting with Moon Called - outshines both of these, but someone's already recommended that here so I had to make do with second best!
    … (more)
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (shadiphoenix)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Similar themes of "woman finding her place among peers/friends as she grows into her skills/strengths".

5/2016 1 Star - So I started reading this book and really couldn't get over how weak Kitty is... I only made it through a couple of chapters before I had to stop. I like strong women characters, I also don't like the whole Alpha can do whatever with whomever whenever type of romantic story line (not really romantic)
I just can't get into it. so I won't probably finish.

6/2018 3.5 Stars - so I reread this book at the urging of a friend I still didn’t like how the alphas treated kitty. Not teaching someone how to defend themselves is a poor way to protect someone. I did enjoy how she grew but I still wanted her to kick everyone’s butt and not be so submissive. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
This is a recommendation if you enjoy the Kate Daniels books. To which I would reply, nope.
  alljson | Jan 21, 2019 |
Blasted through this thing in a single sitting--I had no interest in putting it down. I really loved the excerpts from Kitty's radio show; they never felt trite and they never got old. I love the balance Kitty learned to strike between fight and flight/making yourself small and hoping "they" don't go after you.

The whole story is a wonderful, speculative take on a young woman growing up, learning to take care of herself, and leaving behind bad relationships and situations. I love that her independence stems from her radio show, how her job was dead-end until she had some fun with it and then it basically saved her life, financially and emotionally. Every woman needs that, and I love seeing it reflected in fiction. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
And now we talk about me and my thoughts. As I do. We're going to start with what I really did not like. Kitty herself says it when she says that if she and Carl (her pack alpha) were human she'd be encouraged to leave him because his behavior toward her is abuse. She's the youngest werewolf in the pack, she eats last, she has no standing, she's at the bottom of the hierarchy. It's... squicky. It's okay for wolves in the wild, I've watched the documentaries, I get all that, but Kitty is a human, at least until she changes into a wolf, and it really is abuse. Carl tells her what to do, who to see, slaps her around, and ends it with sex. I can't tell you how not okay with that I am, and how happy I am that by the end Kitty had learned to stand up to him and left the pack, because I would not have been coming back for more if that was going to continue.

It bothered me that with all the emphasis on wolf behavior that in the end Meg, the alpha's wife and the alpha female, used very human means to get what she wanted. Very unwolflike. She didn't fight, she didn't even respect her mate. It is wolves that mate for life, isn't it? I think it is. If you want your werewolves to act like wolves, then fine, but you really should not use that excuse to make with the sex and humiliation for Kitty (it smacks of plot device, btw, not kinky sex because it isn't overly detailed) and then throw aside the wolf behaviors when it suits your plot to do that. It works to a degree for Kitty while she attempts to reconcile her human and werewolf sides, but it does not work for the alpha female who has long since reconciled these sides.

I ended up liking Kitty very much. She's got some things to deal with and she knows that. Her current strengths become even more obvious when you learn the story of how she became a werewolf and how she wasn't truly adult or independent at that time. She then went straight to the pack and depended upon them for everything. She's got a hard road now and I'm interested in seeing how she makes out with that.

I'm torn about Cormac. He could end up being a great character, he could end up being cheesetastic and lame. He and Kitty are right now on the same side, and that's good, they have some sexual tension which could be played on, but he's also a supernatural executioner and they met because he was hired to kill her. Problematic. They got over it awfully easily, and I'm not so sure that's great. Iffy, as I said.

Love the radio show idea. I kept waiting for Kitty's revelation to backfire or to just be more than it was. I would have thought people would have doubted her or wanted to kill the mutie freak, but neither happened. I didn't feel as if I had enough from the book to have that make sense to me. Right now the universe is aware of supernatural beings and seems to be accepting them, but it happened so fast.

The interview with the author of the vampire books cracked me right the fuck up. OH HAI THAR ANNE RICE. Bwah! Vaughn did this great thing at the end of that interview and turned a skewering of a popular author into a touching moment and I think that might have been when I started to like this book.

Kitty's producer and her sound guy--Ozzy and Tom???--could have been fleshed out more, but I liked them because Kitty liked them and because she thinks of them as "the pack you make." Yep, that's my thing, that's what gets me. I'll be continuing with the series. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I didn't get it. Kitty is a whiny and weak character. The attraction between her and Cormac and is forced and unresolved. ( )
  SevenAcreBooks | Jul 11, 2018 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McRee, Giorgettta BellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puckey,DonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first one's for Mom and Dad. Thanks for all the stamps.
I tossed my backpack in a corner of the studio and highfived Rodney on his way out.
I'd killed him. I'd killed my self-defense instructor. Shit.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446616419, Mass Market Paperback)

Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station?and a werewolf in the closet. Her new late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged is a raging success, but it?s Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:18 -0400)

When Kitty Norville, a DJ for a Denver radio station and a secret werewolf, accidentally launches a late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged, she becomes the target of a werewolf hunter and several homicidal undead.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,491,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible