Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville…

Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville 1) (edition 2011)

by Carrie Vaughn

Member:atreic
Title:Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville 1)
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Gollancz (2011), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, Read 2012

Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, both first person narratives with shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (francescadefreitas)
    Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Kitty series isn't quite as good as Wilks's Lupi series (in my opinion) but if you enjoyed one I think you're likely to enjoy the other. Both are urban fantasies with a werewolf theme. The Lupi series is well written with engaging characters in an interesting urban fantasy world, quite fast paced with some romance too :o). The Kitty series is good fun despite the occasional daft plot premise and unexplainable actions by characters.
    ps Patricia Brigg's Mercy series - starting with Moon Called - outshines both of these, but someone's already recommended that here so I had to make do with second best!
    … (more)
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (shadiphoenix)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Similar themes of "woman finding her place among peers/friends as she grows into her skills/strengths".

Kitty is a werewolf with a late-night radio call-in talk show. The talk show is called "The Midnight Hour" and she answers questions, like a Dear Abby, for werewolves and vampires. She lives in Denver, and was turned maybe 3 years ago. She's the lowest in her pack, and content with that status.

But her radio show starts getting some traction, and she gets more attention than she really wants. And after a bit, she is outed as a werewolf. And then the police start talking to her about a series of wild dog attacks, or are they really grisly murders?

The plot keeps hopping, with uniquely lycanthropic problems to be faced, as well as real-world problems. There are good characters here, with well-set-up motivations. In the course of the book, Kitty grows up and changes. A satisfying, quick and interesting read. The major plot threads are tied up by the end of the book, but there are enough threads left to pull me to the next book. Recommended. ( )
  EowynA | Jul 2, 2015 |
Readable, but not worth reading. In fairness I don't normally read urban fantasy and picked this up on an impulse. Fans of early Anita Blake (before the series went to shit) might enjoy this. ( )
  EnsignRamsey | May 22, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed settling back into nascent Kitty. In the later books she gets all tuff 'n' stuff and takes on the world, here she decides who and what she wants to be.

First, I love Kitty's sense of humor as much as the very real, well, weakness she experiences. That isn't the precise word I'm looking for; I mean the feeling of writhing worthlessness, of unimportance she feels in the face of Carl and Meg's alpha-ness. I mean the deep seated driving need to please those she perceives as able and willing to protect her. When I went through these books originally, I felt that Kitty was kind of an unbelievable character because of this weakness contrasting with all she accomplishes. I think I see her valid reactions to her experiences as a different kind of strength these days.

The novel interrogates symbols of everything from LBGTQ rights to rape and abusive relationships; in short, hitting home for the socially disenfranchised.

In the wake of the Dresden Files, chock full of white horses, damsel saving, and peripherally questioning accepted constructs of masculinity, Kitty is indeed a breath of fresh feminist air.

A late night radio DJ who happens upon a talk show idea by accident, Kitty discusses topics revolving around the supernatural and how it intersects with, shall we say, "straight" reality. What exactly are vampirism and lycanthropy? Magic? The government has a study coding them as diseases. How should afflicted individuals be held/housed within the prison system? Should they be incorporated into police forces? What about licensing government officals to hunt down "rogue" paranormals?

Any of this sound familiar? Because it is the same issues faced by LGBTQ people, Hispanics, African Americans, the Japanese before them, the Chinese before the Japanese, and the Irish before that. For all our big talk about the wonderous melting pot that is the USA, we always seem to find some demographic to declare as unnatural, subhuman, "other," and not-as-important-as-we,-the-majority.

Urban fantasy takes this reality and runs with it.

Kitty learns about standing up for herself, on top of tackling all these identity questions about what it means to be different in a society that fears those it perceives as "different." After all, standing up to bullies abusing their power to get money and sex looks a scary lot like the real world some days.

Protection that demands the sacrifice of self isn't protection; it is abuse. Kitty even recognizes that when she says that if the interaction with Carl were on a purely human level, she would be expected to leave because it is abuse. And that is the kicker, isn't it. There is always an excuse, always a reason why *this* situation isn't abuse, but gosh, if it were a slightly different context it would be. The paranormal element is Kitty's rationalization in the beginning of the novel. Vaughn really captures the inner turmoil surrounding the process of recognizing abusive power dynamics and the extraordinary, bone wrenching difficulty in transcending such situations.

I wish I'd found these books earlier in my life. As it was, Mercedes Thompson saw me through my bad spots. Kitty would have been a good role model for me; she still is. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
I just started this series and already know I am going to be sad when I get to the last book! I hate waiting for the next book in a series I like! I have been cheating and listening to the audiobooks instead of reading but I have to say I love the narrator Margarite Gavin who also reads the Hollows series.

Kitty starts out as a bit of a doormat but she really develops throughout the book! I loved seeing her growth!

Kitty Rocks!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |

Urban fantasy takes this reality and runs with it.

raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first one's for Mom and Dad. Thanks for all the stamps.
I tossed my backpack in a corner of the studio and highfived Rodney on his way out.
I'd killed him. I'd killed my self-defense instructor. Shit.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446616419, Mass Market Paperback)

Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station?and a werewolf in the closet. Her new late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged is a raging success, but it?s Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:18 -0400)

When Kitty Norville, a DJ for a Denver radio station and a secret werewolf, accidentally launches a late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged, she becomes the target of a werewolf hunter and several homicidal undead.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,421,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible