Animalia by Graeme Base

Animalia (original 1986; edition 1988)

by Graeme Base

Authors:Graeme Base
Info:Stoddart, Toronto
Tags:Children's Lit., Art

Animalia by Graeme Base (1986)

Recently added byessicaanne, gibcat, davidgn, uufnn, private library, JennyKite, milliebeverly, hgoldsmith

Great for teaching alliteration. ( )
  nickietravis | Jul 9, 2015 |
This is one of my all time favorite Alphabet books. Each page has an alliterated sentence with the target letter and a rich illustration full of objects starting with that letter. Each page also has a small boy hiding somewhere on the page. It's a book that can be used with all ages. My kids pored over the pages as small kids. My middle school students found objects with more sophisticated vocabulary and so many hidden items/letters/clever visual puns on the pages. Adults are equally entranced. I can also see having it displayed one page at a time on the library counter for students to enjoy. It might even make a good contest book. His other books that Iove - The Water Hole, The Eleventh Hour, The Sign of the Seahorse, and The Enigma - are equally as clever and full of hidden puzzles,too. Each can be read simply to enjoy the text, or read over & over to discover all the secret things hidden in the illustrations.
  TeachrBkMom | Jul 8, 2015 |
Graeme Base's books make me smile. They make me feel like a kid again. The colors and drawings are so vibrant. Every time I look at them I see something I didn't see before. ( )
  bcrowl399 | Jun 26, 2015 |
This book has amazing pictures. This book is the alphabet and with each letter, it has words that begin with that letter of the alphabet along with a page full of pictures that begin with that letter. This is great for teaching the alphabet. ( )
  Kelsly93 | Apr 29, 2015 |
This is an ABC book but is a bit harder than most. Its a neat book!
  peyrobs | Apr 29, 2015 |
Withing the pages of this book
You may discover, if you look
Beyond the spell of written words,
A hidden land of beasts and birds.

For many things are 'of a kind',
And those with keenest eyes will find
A thousand things, or maybe more --
It's up to you to keep the score.

A final word before we go;
There's one more thing you ought to know:
In Animalia, you see,
It's possible you might find me.

For Robyn
An Armoured Armadillo Avoiding An Angry Alligator
Beautiful Blue Butterflies Basking by a Babbling Brook.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0810918684, Hardcover)

What's this elaborate illustration? "Horrible Hairy Hogs Hurrying Homewards on Heavily Harnessed Horses," of course. Graeme Base's astonishingly creative oeuvre begins with Animalia, the 1993 alphabet book that challenges the standard idea of how long reading a book for small kids ought to take. Animalia, like many of Base's books, is a vast puzzle, built with entrancing pictures that unfold into layers and layers of objects--all matched to each page's corresponding letter. Base leaves us stunned and amazed, painting reflections into the oddest surfaces and driving the urge to page-turn. This wonderful picture book works for 2-year-olds, 5-year-olds, and adults alike--something few other alphabet books can manage. --Andrew Bartlett

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:01 -0400)

An alphabet book with fantastic and detailed pictures, bearing such labels as "Lazy lions lounging in the local library."

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670815365, 0140541128

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,782,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible