My Love Affair with England: A Traveler's…

My Love Affair with England: A Traveler's Memoir

by Susan Allen Toth

Rambling book of memories. Lack of story--felt incoherent and babbling. ( )
  ShadowBarbara | Jan 27, 2017 |
With her first trip to London as a college student in 1960, American professor Toth was a confirmed Anglophile. Over the decades she kept returning, as a new teacher clumsily guiding a group of students on a literary course, through a short and rocky marriage, as a mother with a hectic schedule and an unhappy child, and many times with a new husband who learns to love England too. She hitchhikes, discusses food,sheepdog trials, English gardens and walking the countryside.

And all that sounds pretty unoriginal and sappy, doesn't it? The title alone is probably why I let it sit on the shelf for at four years even though it came with high recommendations. I'll say that Toth would likely have a bigger audience if her titles were more intriguing. For example, the essay title "1978: A Shady Patch" is about the seven month period when she, her daughter and a friend shared a London flat as Toth taught a course at a nearby college. Newly divorced, with little money and even less time, Toth ends up renting the flat belonging to the brother of the infamous Lord Lucan, a place Toth refers to as "The Murder Flat". The friend, brought along as a live-in babysitter, can't deal with Toth's six year-old and both women have brief flings with men who disappear. Now would you expect all that from the title? ( )
  mstrust | Jan 27, 2014 |
Lovely. How I would like to go on the leisurely walks along the cliff paths Toth describes so beautifully.
  KaterinaBead | Nov 11, 2011 |
Very nice indeed. Not quite Bill Bryson but still a nice addition to my own love affair with England. ( )
  Harrod | Feb 10, 2010 |
WARNING: Do not pick up this book unless you're ready to book a flight. My wife has promised me a trip in the Spring as a graduation present. But after getting into this book, I realize I can't wait that long. I pushing for a December trip. ( )
  horacewimsey | Aug 29, 2009 |

Journalist and memoirist Susan Allen Toth brings her special England vivdly to life as she recalls her many trips there over the years, where she explored the countryside, traveled both second-class and in luxury, theatre-hopped, hunted for ghosts, and honeymooned. Humorous, bittersweet, and wonderfully eccentric, this is a delightful remembrance to be savored by those who love to travel or just dream of it.
"I love MY LOVE AFFAIR WITH ENGLAND. It is written clearly and with a understanding that far supasses any feeling of condescension or superiority or general quaintness among the natives, all of which I detect in books about other countries."
M.F.K. Fisher

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:02 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,195,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible