Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

Battle Royale (2003)

by Koushun Takami

2,915911,978 (4.13)1 / 89
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Kira)
    Kira: The Hunger Games is a shorter, less violent book, with a similar plotline of children forced to fight to the death.
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Panairjdde)
    Panairjdde: Two books that explore the survival instinct of people, even at youg age, as fueled by fear and lust for violence
    The Running Man by Stephen King (mniday)
    The Crimson Labyrinth by Yusuke Kishi (Jacey25)
    Hunters of the red moon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (Konran)
    Kung Fu High School by Ryan Gattis (slickdpdx)

English (90)  Italian (1)  All (91)
Bello bello bello. Crudele, cinico e duro, ma tanto tanto bello. ( )
  maxliscia | Aug 7, 2017 |
  cottageusedbooks | Jan 14, 2017 |
I bought this while stuck in America earlier this year, because I'd run out of things to read and that pesky volcano wasn't liable to behave anytime soon; I'm very glad I did, because the novel one very notorious film is based on has a lot more depth to it than I had ever imagined. You get know more about the schoolkchildren involved, and grow to like some of them a lot - this is all glossed over in the film in favour of the killing, which, while still central, also manages to make way for a more human aspect. The ending is also mildly different, with less of the teacher being creepy and more of him having an actual reason to agree with the games. ( )
  Arianwen16 | Jan 4, 2017 |
I think the little blurb aptly describes this, a Lord of the Flies for the 21st Century". Exploring ideas of trust, hate, free will, love, fear, etc, etc, Takami takes us for a ride into forced depravity. A look at a world where spirituality is dead and only the material matters.

That all being said, this WAS one of the most violent books I've read this year. And that is not a praise." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
What do you get when you take a bunch of government officials, give them a "justified cause" and bring unsuspecting teenagers in with a ruthless sense of self preservation and intelligence?

Yes, we've probably all read this plot before. But not many measure up to this one. Its not the storyline I was used to had been and it absolutely had a lot more....detail... than previous attempts. And it definitely used those attributes to single itself out.

I loved the culture and the references in this book. That's another reason why for me, this definitely is on my re-read lists and favorites! If you have a weak stomach, probably not the best way to go, but again, if that's what you're looking for, then this one is right up there on a must read for you! ( )
  Krista_Rainwater | Sep 10, 2016 |

Koushun Takamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Collins, NathanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oniki, YujiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"A student is not a tangerine." - Kinpachi Sakamoto, Third Tear Class B
"But tramps like us, baby we were born to run" - Bruce Springsteen, "Born to Run"
"It's so hard to love" - Motoharu Sano, "It's so hard to love"
"During all those last weeks I spent there, there was a peculiar evil feeling in the air - an atmosphere os suspicion, fear, uncertainty, and veiled hatred. You seemed to spend all your time holding whispered conversations in corners of cafes and wondering whether that person at the next table was a police spy. I do not know if I can bring home to you how deeply that action touched me. It sounds a small thing, but it was not. You have got to realize what was the feeling of the time - the horrible atmosphere of suspicion and hatred." - George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia
I dedicate this to everyone I love. Even though it might not be appreciated.
As the bus entered the prefectural capital of Takamatsu, garden suburbs transformed into city streets of multicolored neon, headlights of oncoming cars, and checkered lights of office buildings.
"Don't even think of raping me after beating me to a pulp. Look, little kid, you should worry more about your life than your dick." Takako Chigusa (female student NO. 13)
This is a novel, and should not be combined with Vol. 1 of the manga adaptation: http://www.librarything.com/work/5691...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 156931778X, Paperback)

Battle Royale, a high-octane thriller about senseless youth violence, is one of Japan's best-selling - and most controversial - novels. As part of a ruthless program by the totalitarian government, ninth-grade students are taken to a small isolated island with a map, food, and various weapons. Forced to wear special collars that explode when they break a rule, they must fight each other for three days until only one "winner" remains. The elimination contest becomes the ultimate in must-see reality television. A Japanese pulp classic available in English for the first time, Battle Royale is a potent allegory of what it means to be young and survive in today's dog-eat-dog world. The first novel by small-town journalist Koushun Takami, it went on to become an even more notorious film by 70-year-old gangster director Kinji Fukusaku.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:11 -0400)

In a country ruled by a ruthless totalitarian government, a group of ninth-grade students are confined to a small isolated island where they must fight each other for three days until only one survivor remains, as part of the ultimate in reality television.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,912,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible