The Sweet Scent of Blood by Suzanne McLeod

The Sweet Scent of Blood

by Suzanne McLeod

The Sweet Scent Of Blood is the first in the Spellcrackers.com series and British author Suzanne McLeod's debut book. The story is jam packed with action, the plot is intricate and the world building complex; which keeps you guessing to the end.

The Sweet Scent Of Blood hooks you from the beginning and takes you on a wild ride through a modern London where supernaturals exist side by side with the mundane. Suzanne McLeod has written vampires the way they should be written, as well as a array of witches, trolls and other supernaturals.

As a long time book addict, it's not often I come across a book that that I absolutely adore; that leaves me excited for the next instalment without having a giant cliffhanger killing me with frustration. But what I loved most was reading an urban fantasy that takes place in familiar settings. To see these places the author describes, in a new light.

If you like Dark urban Fantasy which don't need explicit scenes or cliffhangers to keep you wanting more, you'll love this book. ( )
  yas4735 | May 1, 2018 |
This is a book that manages to hit all the tropes in the urban fantasy genre. We have a plucky heroine with a secret past that must remain hidden at all the times. There are handsome vampires that are dangerous. And, a magical mystery that must be solved.

Its fairly typical, hitting pretty much every stereotype out there, but it does manage to breath life into a genre that is overrun with the same plot and the same characters.

First - the world. Its quite amazing. The author manages to create something that integrates the magic with modern. The magic helped created the modern world, for example, cell phones. This world has cell phones that function as a cell phone should - but there is a magical component that makes it work. Its one of the best examples of this I've read in the urban fantasy genre.

But- it does have problems. Genny, as a character is a bit less cardboard than normal, but still suffers from girl set apart from the world trope. She has deep dark secrets that if it got out, would set half the world looking for her. Than there are the vampires. There are depicted as being beautiful, smart, hip (thanks to an image campaign) and scary. This book follows that trope, but actually makes vampires seem scary. Genny spends most of her time worrying about them, but of course, there is one good one, and while love doesn't happen, its hinted at.

The book also suffers from too many characters - I had problems keeping them all straight. Genny also spent too much time worrying about bloodsucking fiends - and the action was often confusing to follow. As the first book published by the author, there's enough good stuff in this book that I suspect the next book will have improved greatly.

Overall, its a fun read. It will never be great litrature, but a fun diversion for a slow weekend. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 29, 2016 |
Twenty pages into this book I decided that, starred reviews notwithstanding, paranormal urban fantasy is not for me. Did not finish.
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
I found it quite hard to get through the first half (or more) of this book, which I thought was too cluttered with background story and slighty confusing. Only the last few chapters were interesting and had some action.

The mystery story was usually overshadowed by the character development, resulting in a poorly constructed plot. It was really painful to read sometimes.

Still, overall, I liked the book (more the last part, of course) and the characters (especially the sexy, if cliche, vampire Malik), so I'll probably follow the story. Bear in mind that other than the setting (London) this is your run-of-the-mill urban fantasy.
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Extraordinary attention to detail! If I knew how to draw, I could totally draw all of the characters, plus all of the houses, parks, streets and offices as well. Very well written, with a lot of suspense, a little romance, some big-time scary vampires, and a huge betrayal. I loved this book, and for the first time ever, I really, really loved a fae! Gen is wonderful, strong and funny, and a little bit sneaky too, but she had to be in order to try to make it. Exciting read, and a page-turner through-out the whole book. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
For Norman with love now and always.
The vampire looked a beautiful, dangerous cliché.

'My name is Genny Taylor. I work for Spellcrackers.com. It’s a great job, pays the rent, lets me do the thing I’m good at – finding magic and cracking it – and the bonus is it’s run by witches, which stops the vamps from taking a bite out of me.
Not that vampires are the big bad any more, not since they launched a slick PR campaign – ­ oh, and they brought the goblins on board. Now the vamps are sought-after celebrities, and Getting Fanged and taking the Gift are the new height of all things cool. But only if you’re human.
And I’m not.
I’m Sidhe fae.
And I know firsthand just how deadly a vampire can be.’

When Mr October, a sexy calendar pin-up vamp, is accused of murdering his girlfriend, an old debt is called in and Genny is forced to help prove his innocence, risking her job and the protection it offers – and threatening to expose her own dark secrets. Searching for the killer plunges Genny deep into the hidden heart of vampire society. It’s not long before she realises that she and Mr October are both unwitting pawns in a centuries-old power struggle between London’s non-human communities . . . and it’s not just her own neck that’s at stake, but the lives of all London’s supernaturals.

Genevieve Taylor is a Sidhe, one of the noble fae, and she's unusual, even in present-day London where celebrity vampires, eccentric goblins and scheming lesser fae mix freely with the human population - Genny is a rising star at Spellcrackers.com.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,739,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible