Not Wanted on the Voyage by Timothy Findley

Not Wanted on the Voyage (1984)

by Timothy Findley

The Preservationist by David Maine (calvert-oak)
    calvert-oak: Another retelling of the Noah story
    Little, Big by John Crowley (chrisharpe)
    A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes (mountebank)
    mountebank: This collection of short stories includes another irreverent take on the Noah's Ark story.

bought in Hamilton over Christmas 2007

I loved this book! The writing is great, the story is one we think we know - that of Noah's Ark, and the characters (especially the animals) are wonderful. ( )
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
I did enjoy this book quite a bit. Basically it is a non-religious retelling of the Noah's ark story in which the flood was caused by god, but a god who appears all to human (but wizard like?), being elderly, smelly, and mad at not being worshiped. Noah and his family are one of his last followers, so are entrusted with building an ark and taking on animals, etc.

Add to this the fact that Noah himself is not at all a likeable character (and quite sexist!), and some of his sons become tyrants on the ark (Locking others down in darkness to look after the animals) and you have a re-telling that may not sit well with those who take the bible literally. But a fascinating story nonetheless.

Findley is a marvelous story-teller and takes us back to a time when animals could talk, and unicorns, demons, and angels were not unusual sightings. The descriptions of the flood itself, and the 'many types of rain' (Pine cone rain, black rain, etc) was fascinating. Highly recommended. ( )
  Bcteagirl | Jul 7, 2012 |
A very good book, very powerful. The unicorn horn scene was extremely disturbing though. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Mar 19, 2011 |
I will have to give this one another try pretty soon, because I have a hard time enjoying anything alternative fiction-alternate universe-allegory-fable-speculative fiction-goofy send-up of historical events. I am not sure what my problem is; I should just go along with the author and not indulge in my hang-ups so much. I guess every Biblical character could benefit from a come-down from the lofty status that the Bible and posterity have given them. It is almost impossible for anybody from the Bible to be more or less like a normal human being. It is good that Findley is helping Noah and his family out with this problem. It scared me a bit to try to figure out a style so radically different from any of the other Timothy Findley books that I have ever read. Yes, must read again, after about 15 years or so from the first time before, and give it another chance.
  libraryhermit | Apr 24, 2010 |
Parts of this story are wickedly funny, but it’s also a powerful portrait of the fragility of family, of doubt, temptation, greed, and the power relations between men and women. The scene where Mrs N nearly drowns in the raging waters when she goes to the rescue of Emma’s intellectually disabled sister (who is most definitely not wanted on the voyage) is extraordinary: I can almost feel the cold water trickling down the back of my neck as I write this.
For the rest of this review see http://anzlitlovers.wordpress.com/2008/11/08/not-wanted-on-the-voyage-by-timothy... ( )
1 vote anzlitlovers | Dec 31, 2008 |
For these especially:
Mottle and Boy; Maggie and Hooker --
and the horses who
shared the days.

And for
The Two Hundred.

Against Despair
Everyone knows it wasn't like that.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,237,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible