Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on…

Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth, 15th Anniversary… (edition 2005)

by Grant Morrison, Dave McKean (Illustrator)

Member:wilsonknut
Title:Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth, 15th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Grant Morrison
Other authors:Dave McKean (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2005), Edition: Anniversary edition, Paperback, 216 pages
Collections:Your library, Graphic Novels
Rating:***
Tags:comics

Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison (Writer)

Arkham Asylum is where many of the criminals who fought Batman ended up. This story backs up and follows Amadeus Arkham, who took his family's home and used it to create the Asylum. A parallel story, set 80 years later, has Batman coming to the Asylum to face the Joker and others.

It was ok. My edition (15th anniversary edition) had the full script with notes from the author, Grant Morrison. I really appreciated that. I missed a heck of a lot of stuff as I read the man portion of the book! Yes, I expect to miss any symbolism/imagery and such, but I missed a lot more than that. It was nice to have the illustrations written out in text as Morrison envisioned them. It filled in a lot of the stuff I missed. There was also thumbnails drawn by Morrison to show how he pictured it before the eventual illustrator, Dave McKean did the final illustrations. I liked Morrison's thumbnails, as I thought they were clearer, and I wonder if I would have missed less had the actual illustrations been closer to Morrison's original vision of it. I also found some of the lettering difficult to read. So, overall: ok. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 19, 2014 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-nq
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-nq ( )
  Saretta.L | Jun 3, 2014 |
Batman is alerted that the inmates of Arkham Asylum have taken over the premises. If this isn't dangerous enough, they're threatening to murder everyone in the facility unless Batman agrees to a face to face meeting.

I understand that a lot of people can appreciate the style in which both Morrison and McKean approached Batman, however this just wasn't for me. Maybe I like my stuff a little more.. focused? I have no idea if that's the right word. I feel like I'm almost speaking a form of blasphemy here by not loving this book.

That being said, I certainly do not want to take anything away from Dave McKean - the guy is crazy talented. I just question whether or not this really works within the constraints of a comic book. I thought the scenes were unfocused and hard for me as a reader to follow. I guess when it came down to it, I had a lot of trouble grasping exactly what I was looking at. I'll give McKean credit for trying something outside-the-box but I feel like the whole presentation was lost on me. Also, a lot of the dialogue contained some strange choices. In particular, Morrison having Batman scream, "Jesus!" felt weird and awkward to me.

Before you jump down my throat, it wasn't all bad. I'll say that I liked the idea of giving each character their own specific font when they spoke. Joker's sharp words cutting through the atmosphere gave his madness that extra intensity. Apparently, this is something that is considered an industry standard today but it all began with Gaspar Saladino's superb lettering.

I guess I appreciate what was attempted but I'm not sure I could bring myself to read it again or who exactly I'd recommend this to.

Cross Posted @ Every Read Thing ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
This isn't your typical comic book - this is painterly beauty with one mind-fuck of a plot behind it.
  EMaree | Feb 11, 2014 |

Morrison, GrantWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, KarenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saladino, GasparLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the journals of Amadeus Arkham: In the years following my father's death, I think it's true to say that the house became my whole world.
I see now the virtue in madness, for this country knows no laws nor any boundary
I pity the poor shades confined to the Euclidean prison that is sanity
All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me
Whole
And complete
And free at last.
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Led by the Joker, the inmates have taken over Arkham Asylum, Gotham's mental illness detention center, and are holding the staff hostage. Their demands are many, but one stands out: they want Batman ... in there ... with them. Batman takes their challenge to save the hostages, but risks losing his own sanity in the process. Includes the annoted script for the comic and original page layouts.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible