Outsider in Amsterdm by Jan Van De Wetering

Outsider in Amsterdm (original 1975; edition 1986)

by Jan Van De Wetering

Member:bhowell
Title:Outsider in Amsterdm
Authors:Jan Van De Wetering
Info:Ballantine Books (1986), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:fiction, Crime Thriller & Mystery

Outsider in Amsterdam by Janwillem van de Wetering (1975)

Death of a Hawker by Janwillem van de Wetering (John_Vaughan)
    The Japanese Corpse by Janwillem van de Wetering (John_Vaughan)
    The Corpse on the Dike by Janwillem van de Wetering (John_Vaughan)
    The Streetbird by Janwillem van de Wetering (John_Vaughan)
    The Rattle-Rat by Janwillem van de Wetering (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: The mystifying addiction this series of far from simple mystery stories is puzzle; until you get to know the characters. Outsider has my favorite cover as it shows our two heroes!
    Black as He's Paintea by Ngaio Marsh (aulsmith)
    Amsterdam Cops: Collected Stories by Janwillem van de Wetering (John_Vaughan)
    Love in Amsterdam by Nicolas Freeling (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: Another great series set in Holland.
    Yellowthread Street by William Leonard Marshall (GeraniumCat)
    GeraniumCat: The Yellowthread Street Mysteries are also about quirky cops, in the wonderfully exotic setting of Hong Kong before its lease expired in 1999. Like the Amsterdam cops series, they are seriously addictive.

English (17)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
The formatting of the ebook I was given was so horrible that the book was essentially unreadable. I lasted through one chapter and then decided my life was too short for this kind of crap. If people want me to provide free reviews, the least they can do is provide readable copies.

I'm pretty sure I read a dead-tree version of this book a number of years ago and liked it. But this version, from Soho Press was unreadable, entirely due to myriad formatting flaws.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Well told story but very dark. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
I borrowed this 1970's novel, after enjoying 'Maine Massacre' (too long ago to fairly review). 'Outsider' was very much a philosophical novel, perhaps best approached as a tale of human foibles with surprising insights. But in 2017 (40+-years on), the 1970's story seemed socially jarring and the description of the investigation a little improbable. However, the setting and characters were well-described and the reader becomes very familiar with the persona of the 2 detectives (De Gier and Grijpstra). The story dragged in a number of places which disrupted my involvement with time and place. At times the plot and character-relatedness was confusing. Some of the stilted aspect may have derived from this novel originally being written in Dutch. I think the series improved as the theme developed over the years. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Nov 28, 2017 |
Grijpstra and de Gier are detectives with the Amsterdam Police. They are called to the Hindist Society because Piet Verboom, the society’s proprietor, has been found hanging in his room. Initially it appears to be a suicide. Sergeant de Gier and Detective-Adjudant Grijpstra are determined to perform a complete investigation nevertheless. The two detectives make a great team but they are very different. Senior officer, de Gier, is a married family man and very set in his ways. Grijpstra is younger bachelor who and practices Buddhism and shares his home with a quirky Siamese cat named Oliver. Their method of investigation compliments both their strengths.

This is not an action packed series but a very character driven investigation. Both detectives have a great sense of sardonic humor. I learned a lot about Amsterdam and the Dutch culture which was fascinating. I thought it was a very engaging and well written mystery with interesting and well developed characters. I definitely plan to read another book in this series soon.
1 vote Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Van de Wetering has written an intriguing who-done-it mystery that leaves the reader puzzling out the suspects and their roles until the end.
While this book has been around for some time, it still seems modern. I was shocked to hear this book had been published over four decades ago! References to gables and canals brings pictures of Amsterdam to minds. Its use of heroin and overdoses is very relevant to today's opioid epidemic. There are very few points in the books that reveal its 1970s setting. ( )
  Bibliophilly | Aug 8, 2017 |
FOR JUANITA
The Volkswagen was parked on the wide sidewalk of the Haarlemmer Houttuinen, opposite number 5, and it was parked the way it shouldn't be parked.

When Piet Verboom is found dangling from a beam in the Hindist Society he ran, Detective-Adjutant Grijpstra and Sergeant de Gier of the Amsterdam police are sent to investigate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,692,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible