Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley

Parnassus on Wheels (1917)

by Christopher Morley (Author)

Series: Roger Mifflin (1)

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: If you are charmed by Parnassus, you will also be charmed by this non-fiction account of the friendship between a New York writer and the manager of a London bookshop, begun in the years just after the war and carried on for 20 - 30 years through letters.… (more)
    Off in Zora: A Modern-Day Tale of a Traveling Bookseller by Alan Armstrong (benjclark)
    benjclark: "Because Parnassus on Wheels was read aloud to him as a boy, Alan Armstrong always imagined himself as a Merchant Adventurer dealing in books...." - back blurb.

English (55)  Spanish (9)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (69)
Fun, but not as good as the sequel, The Haunted Bookshop ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jan 24, 2015 |
Short and sweet, this little gem was everything I could have wanted. Miss McGill has spent her whole life keeping house for her brother. They run a farm together, but when he gets caught up in the world of literature and decides to write a book she’s more than a little miffed. The more successful he becomes, the less time he spends working on the farm.

Then one day a man with a traveling book mobile stops by in the hopes of selling his cart. She decides to buy it and travel the area selling books. She is feisty and brave. As she figures out what she wants in life you just can't help but cheer for her to get it!

BOTTOM LINE: One of the most charming novellas I’ve ever read. There isn’t too much original to say about it, just do yourself a favor and read it!

"When you sell a man a book you don't sell him just twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue—you sell him a whole new life. Love and friendship and humour and ships at sea by night—there's all heaven and earth in a book.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Jan 19, 2015 |
A charming novella about a farming "housewife" who purchases a travelling bookstore, leaves the life she's never questioned, and finds friendship, adventure, confidence, and even a little romance. A delightful lazy weekend or bedtime read. In the vein of Alan Bennett's "The Uncommon Reader" (although not _quite_ as good). ( )
  bkwurm | Jan 11, 2015 |
Wow, what an amazingly charming little book, one of the best I've read in awhile. This is a novella for book lovers. It's about the love of books and how this love can inspire people to reach for something better in life. It will have you fantasizing about life on Parnassus. No spoilers, but the ending was adorable and heart warming. ( )
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |
This novella is delightful! Quite frankly I'd never heard of Christopher Morley before I started reading The Art of the Novella series from Melville House Publishers. This one I received as a gift from Melody at Fingers and Prose. How fun to receive a surprise package in the mail from a fellow blogger!

This is the story of an enthusiastic book seller, Mr. Mifflin, peddling his wares by horse-drawn bookmobile. It is also the story of a bachelor farmer, Andrew, and his spinster sister, Miss McGill. The farmer decides his passion is writing, much to the chagrin of his sister. Mr. Mifflin reads the farmer's books and decides to try to sell his bookmobile. And the fun begins.

Melville House says, "The credo of the sprite-like book-peddler who sparks the story says it all: 'When you sell a man a book, you don't sell him just twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue--you sell him a whole new life.' Except the complicating factor here is that the protagonist of Parnassus on Wheels is not a man, but a woman, and she has come to believe something rather daring for a woman of her day: that her love of books can rescue her from a life of servitude. . . .[It] is not only a charming romantic comedy, but an inspiring ode to a life in books."

What do I think? I loved it. I'm going to buy the sequel the next time I order from Melville House. The setting is rural America in the early Twentieth Century, and it hails to a much simpler time. I laughed out loud several times while reading it, and I rarely do that. ( )
  heidip | Aug 26, 2014 |

Morley, ChristopherAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorsline, DonaldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H. B. F. and H. F. M.
"Trusty, dusky, vivid, true"
I wonder if there isn't a lot of bunkum in higher education?
"Lord!" he said, "when you sell a man a book you don't sell him just twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue—you sell him a whole new life. Love and friendship and humour and ships at sea by night—there's all heaven and earth in a book, a real book I mean. Jimmy! If I were the baker or the butcher or the broom huckster, people would run to the gate when I came by—just waiting for my stuff. And here I go loaded with everlasting salvation—yes, ma'am, salvation for their little, stunted minds—and it's hard to make 'em see it."

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally important and have elected to bring the book back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:05 -0400)

Parnassus on Wheels is a novel by Christopher Morley, published in 1917. The Parnassus of the title refers to the mountain that was the home of the Muses in Greek mythology. In the story, Roger Mifflin sells his traveling bookshop to Helen McGill, who tires of looking after Andrew, her ailing brother. Christopher Morley later continued the story of Roger Mifflin in his 1919 novel The Haunted Bookshop.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,112,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible