Thin Is the New Happy by Valerie Frankel

Thin Is the New Happy

by Valerie Frankel

When Val was only 11 years old, her mother started in on her about dieting and losing weight. That has stayed with Val her entire life. This book tells of her struggle to stop the constant dieting.

I really enjoyed reading this. Val had a tough time, not only at home, but was teased at school, as well. Each chapter focuses on one main thing in her life (though there are a few chapters about her mother, with whom she does have a good relationship now) like school, her rebelling as a teenager, each of her two husbands, and more. There is a chapter where her friend and coworker, Stacy London (yes, from What Not to Wear) helps her with her wardrobe. It was really fast to read. I hadn't even realized that she has also written a number of fiction books, and I might take a look at some of those, too. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 10, 2014 |
It was fairly decent. ( )
  ekelly27 | Oct 23, 2011 |
I read this book for some perspective. Body image comes in many shapes and forms, literally and figuratively. I appreciate her candor and detail of a lifelong battle with her body.

The moral of the story resonates with my mission to spread the 'non-diet' mentality to everyone, regardless of weight management needs. I love to exercise. I love to eat. I love to feel hungry and make the connection between what I'm eating and how I use the food as energy. Val experienced this revelation after much digging into her past and current relationships and environments. Kudos to Val for preaching the most simple messages of all: Live life. Love yourself, and do so actively. Be who you are for you.

I suggest reading this book if you yourself are stuck in a diet rut and want a reality check. It doesn't matter what size you are, anyone who has ever struggled with wholly accepting his/her body will be able to relate to some aspect of Val's memoir. ( )
  wineisme | Aug 29, 2010 |
entertaining and moving memoir of a journalist learning to love her body and treat it well--not preachy, very relate-able.
  mochap | Jun 17, 2009 |
Frankel's life-long struggle with weight. Not too much that's original here. ( )
1 vote ilovebooksdlk | May 17, 2009 |

“Val Frankel is a woman of amazing insight. . . . Read this, weep, and heal.”

—Stacy London, cohost of What Not to Wear

You’ve heard the phrase “the mirror is not your friend.” For Valerie Frankel, the mirror was so much more than “not a friend.” It was the mean girl who stole her lunch money, bitch-slapped her in the ladies’ room, and cut the hair off her Barbie.

If you’re like 99.9 percent of women, the war you wage with yourself over your body image begins at the ripe age of eight, and the skirmishes are fought for the next eight decades. Sometimes you don’t even know when you’ve won. (How many of us have taken out a photo from high school and thought, “Hey! I looked great—why didn’t I know it?”) This book is for anyone who has spent most of her life on—or thinking about being on—a diet. It’s for anyone who ever wished for candlelight in dressing rooms. It’s for anyone who has ever owned a pair of “fat pants.” In short, this book is for anyone who ever felt good or bad about themselves based on how they look.

Valerie Frankel, like most women, has spent most of her conscious life on a diet, thinking about a diet, ignoring a diet, or failing on a diet. At age eleven, her mother put Val on her first weight-loss program. As a teen, she was enrolled in Weight Watchers (for which she invented creative ditching methods). As a young woman, her world felt right only when she was able to zip a certain pair of jeans. Not wanting to pass this legacy on to her own daughters, Valerie set out to cleanse herself of her obsession. Thin Is the New Happy is the true story of one woman’s quest to exorcise her bad body-image demons, to uncover the truths behind what put them there, and to learn how to truly love herself. It’s a poignant, hilarious, and all-out honest account of one woman’s struggle with body image—the filter through which she’s always seen the world—and the way she ultimately overcame it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:24 -0400)

Valerie Frankel, like most women, has spent most of her conscious life on a diet, thinking about a diet, ignoring a diet, or failing on a diet. At age eleven, her mother put Val on her first weight-loss program. As a teen, she was enrolled in Weight Watchers (for which she invented creative ditching methods). As a young woman, her world felt right only when she was able to zip a certain pair of jeans. Not wanting to pass this legacy on to her own daughters, Valerie set out to cleanse herself of her obsession. Thin Is the New Happy is the true story of one woman's quest to exorcise her bad body-image demons, to uncover the truths behind what put them there, and to learn how to truly love herself. It's a poignant, hilarious, and all-out honest account of one woman's struggle with body image--the filter through which she's always seen the world--and the way she ultimately overcame it.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,722,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible