Eyeshield 21, Volume 23 by Riichiro Inagaki

Eyeshield 21, Volume 23

by Riichiro Inagaki, Riichiro Inagaki

This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot,, Booklikes & Librarything and links at Goodreads & Mobileread by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: Then Came the Showdown!
Series: Eyeshield 21 #23
Author: Riichiro Inagaki
Artist: Yusuke Murata
Rating: 4.0 of 5 Stars
Genre: Sports Manga
Pages: 210
Format: Digital Scan

Synopsis:

The Devil Bats win against the Naga, at great physical cost to each player. Then we follow the other 3 games of the day and watch new teams and new techniques come to light.

The volume concludes with the Devil Bats taking a day off to rest,but they all end up at the clubhouse anyway, so obviously Hiruma uses that time to get some stuff in. The next battle is agains the White Knights and as things stand, the Devil Bats do not stand a chance against them.

My Thoughts:

After having drawn out the game against the Naga for 3 volumes, the last 4 seconds of the game, and the win, felt rather anti-climactic. It did come down to a battle between Hiruma and Agon and Hiruma's year of practice and 1/10th of a second paid dividends. Agon ate dirt and I was pretty happy. He was a scumbag and I wished he'd been broken instead of just beaten in the game. I wanted his soul crushed, his spirit destroyed, his very will to live extinguished. As you can tell, I didn't like him.

The short little episodes showing the highlights of the games by other teams just didn't work for me either. After a 3 book game, it felt very rushed and like it was a scheme for getting info to the readers without telling a good story. I know that Sena/Eyeshield 21 and the Devil Bats are the main characters, but for goodness sake, a little balance wouldn't hurt things.

There was nothing wrong with this volume at all beyond the imbalance, but it was noticable enough for me to ding a star off. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Mar 6, 2017 |
I hate Agon. That is all. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |

Riichiro Inagakiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Inagaki, Riichiromain authorall editionsconfirmed

The Deimon Devil Bats face the Shinryuji Nagas during the Kanto Tournament and try to rely on their speed, guts, and determination to win, but might need to resort to Hiruma's devilish tactics if they want to pull off a victory.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,619,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible