Corambis by Sarah Monette

Corambis

by Sarah Monette

Series: Doctrine of Labyrinths (4)

It's always a bit hard to finish a series that you've fallen in love with--and I do assume that this one is done, although it does feel that the door might have been left just slightly open, things are very satisfactorily concluded. The unwinding of the master plot in this last volume is masterful and interesting, and the parallel development of the two brothers--both their relationship and their inner selves--balances and complements. It's just great. I can accept the violence of the first book and a half because of where Monette goes with it. Highly recommended unless you really really loathe violence. **** 1/2 for the series as a whole. ( )
1 vote sibyx | Jan 4, 2016 |
  TheIdleWoman | Jul 29, 2014 |
well, I'm sad for sure that I've read the last book of the four. I must have gone through them in a little more than a week--and if that's slow, by my standards, that's with me reading some five other books at the same time.

What I really loved was the characters. Jeez, just the interactions and their inner lives were enough to suck me in, though of course it wouldn't have interested me so much without all the magic and shit, me being basically addicted the fantasy genre. You get a window into the characters' souls, pretty much. And what made this series stand out from, oh, many, many other books I've read was the character development--I mean, not the fact that there was character development, since plenty of other authors do that just fine; but, I guess, the way the characters got to know themselves and each other even as they became clearer to me. The emotions shine through wonderfully. As well, the way the theme of labyrinths and finding one's way--in both literal and metaphorical sense--carries through, along with a general continuity/unity between the books, just draws the reader along on the journey.

Also, Mildmay is fuckin' awesome. And apologies for my language, but I guess you probably wouldn't like him anyway, then. In which case you're not awesome, and I don't care if you're offended. XD

-sunny- | Jul 15, 2014 |

-sunny- | Jul 15, 2014 |
Took me awhile to get through this one, I got distracted by other books and I wasn't as invested in the story as I was for the previous 3; it's been a few years since I finished The Mirador and some of the details from that book are a bit fuzzy.
However, I still enjoyed this book and I'm very glad I finally finished this series and got closure. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |

Sarah Monetteprimary authorall editionscalculated
York, JudyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Joan D. Vinge and Ellen Kushner
One by one we walked the labyrinth beneath Summerdown, and one by one we came to the engine, dark and cold, at its heart.

"Exiled from Melusine for the crime of heresy, the once powerful Cabaline wizard Felix Harrowgate and his half-brother Mildmay, former cat-burglar and assassin, journey to Corambis to face judgment from a ruling body of wizards. Corambis, however, is a land plagued by civil strife. Kay Brightmore, the Margrave of Rothmarlin, is part of an insurrection to restore the monarchy in the southern half of the country. In desperation, Kay and his rebels seek out the engine of Summerdown, an ancient magical device rumored to have terrible powers. Once the engine is awakened, only a powerful wizard can stop its awesome potential for destruction. Felix and Mildmay arrive just in time for their greatest challenge - and ultimate destiny."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Sarah Monette is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,597,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible