Arctic Chill by Arnaldur Indriðason
Member:danhammang
Title:Arctic Chill
Authors:Arnaldur Indriðason
Other authors:Bernard Scudder, Victoria Cribb
Info:New York : Minotaur Books, 2009.
Rating:*
Tags:Iceland

Arctic Chill by Arnaldur Indriðason (2005)

English (47)  Dutch (8)  French (4)  Swedish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (69)
Not quite as impressive as Jar City, but keeps the interesting characters and depressing weather scenarios. Why anyone would want to live in Iceland in the winter -- especially someone from Thailand -- is beyond me.
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
Really liked this. It's very fragmented but somehow that just adds to the mood without causing confusion so I think it must have been well constructed. Yes a boy dies - and sets off cascades of actions and feelings in everyone - but otherwise an oddly gentle book. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Arctic Chill is the second of Indridason's Reykjavik mysteries I have read. In fact, the second one I read today. After finishing Silence of the Grave I was debating which of the many library books I have checked out I should read next. I decided to sample the first page of each before choosing; I was on page 80 before I came up for air. And I spent the rest of the day buried in the book.

I really like this series. Everyone of the characters in the two books I have read has become real. The plot flows effortlessly. In this book a young Thai boy is killed and it seems that there is no reason anyone would have to kill him, so the police suspect it is a racial crime. Finding the guilty party in a motiveless crime is one of the most difficult things a policeman faces and it is only by the sheer determination of the detectives that the truth is found out.

As well, each of the detectives has their own personal issues that they are dealing with. I'm glad I checked out four of these (in case I liked them). ( )
  mysterymax | May 16, 2014 |
"I am felled to the ground, frozen and cannot be freed ... " (Ch 1)

Ten year old Elias, stabbed on his way home from school, is found face down on the ice mere blocks from his Icelandic home. His mother, Thai immigrant Sunee, fears for her other son's life and sends Elias' half-brother, Niran, into hiding. Sunee is divorced from Elias’ father, Odinn, an Icelandic man whom she met and married in Thailand some years ago. But there were things the husband and wife did not know about one another: Odinn did not know that Sunee had Niran from a previous relationship; and Sunee was unaware that she was not Odinn's first Thai wife. Sunee decided to stay in Iceland with her sons, but they do not have an easy time of it. Odinn is unhelpful financially, and racism is a problem at Elias' school – a prominent problem, in fact, with at least one staff member. Erlendeur and his team, Oli and Elinborg, are leaving no stone unturned, but progress in the case is slow. What motive might one possibly have for murdering a ten-year-old?

Arctic Chill is the fifth novel in Indridason's Erlendur series, and I continue to enjoy these immensely. The mysteries are well written, and I like that a number of familiar characters reappear in each, allowing us a glimpse into the off-duty lives of the investigators. Here we meet Erlendur's children, Sindri and Eva, once again, as well as his love interest, Valgerdur. And Oli and his wife, Bergthora, have seemingly reached a crossroads.

“The cold had intensified by the time Erlendur drove away, his eyes reflecting the frozen grief at the morgue.” (Ch 20) ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Mar 24, 2014 |
Ordinary, mundane, no great drama. Sad people, lonely people, struggling people, annoying people, and thus rather like real life. A ten year old boy is stabbed, and in a stroke of very bad luck, instead of stitches and tetanus shots, he bleeds to death. Ordinary. The neighbors are shocked, the teachers are shocked, the schoolmates shocked, how very ordinary. Thus, I think of the author as a master of the mundane, a portraitist of a working class world where passions and sex exist, but are distinctly off the center stage. Ordinary tensions, cowardice, meanness, nosiness, and same old same old comments form most of the book. The inadvertent, unplanned, unexpected killing of a little boy changes whole courses of multiple lives, and exposes whispered undercurrents in Icelandic society. The murder which is the crux of this book is far more ordinary than one would like to believe. For me, the ordinariness of this killing, should be enough to make any parent cringe at how treacherous the world can be for children. ( )
  grheault | Jan 30, 2014 |
Is there such a thing as a perfect crime-fiction novel? Probably not, but if there were, this would surely be a strong contender. Arnaldur Indridason's latest novel in the Inspector Erlendur series continues the upward trend in quality, confidence and storytelling that I have come to hope for, even dare to expect, with each new outing. Tragically, Indridason's translator, Bernard Scudder died before he had completed work on ARCTIC CHILL, but Victoria Cribb has stepped in and the result seems to be a seamless one....This author is brilliant at speaking to the reader at the level at which the reader desires, so one can either ignore the economically presented character studies and get on with the plot, or revel in them and find further insight behind the sparse prose. For me, this author understands internal suffering all too well, and can convey the sadness of daily life in a dispassionate yet empathetic way.

The books of Icelandic crime writer Arnaldur Indridason may seem esoteric, but this is a situation that is fast changing. A film adaptation of his Jar City has won rave reviews, and UK bookselling chains are promoting crime in translation...An opaque Icelandic police procedural that's all shades of grey...

...may well be the most thoroughly depressing of all the gloomy police procedurals coming out of those cold lands near the Arctic Circle. But since the storyteller is Arnaldur Indridason, this Icelandic tale is delivered with exquisite sensitivity, in a moody translation...

Ben ik nu degene die nog leeft
of degene die gestorven is?

Steinn Steinnar, Op het kerkhof
Am I the one, who lives on, or the other who died? Steinn Steinnar, In A Cemetery
In memory of Bernard Scudder
They were able to guess his age, but had more trouble determining which part of the world he came from.
Erlendur stood over the grave in the freezing cold, searching for a purpose to the whole business of life and death. As usual he could find no answers . . . . Life was a random mass of unforseeable coincidencees that governed men's fates like a storm that strikes without warning, causing injury and death. (340)
Original title: Vetrarborgin

INSPECTOR ERLENDUR RETURNS IN THIS ICY, INTENSE REYKJAVIK THRILLER

On an icy January day, the Reykjavik police are called to a block of apartments where a body has been found in the garden: a young, dark-skinned boy is frozen to the ground in a pool of blood. Erlendur and his team embark on their investigation and soon unearth tensions simmering beneath the surface of Iceland’s outwardly liberal, multicultural society. Meanwhile, the boy’s murder forces Erlendur to confront the tragedy in his own past.

Master crime writer Arnaldur Indridason's Arctic Chill renders a vivid portrait of Iceland's brutal, little-known culture wars in a taut, fast-paced police procedural.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

On an icy January day, the Reykjavik police are called to a block of flats where a body has been found in the garden: a young, dark-skinned boy, frozen to the ground in a pool of his own blood. The discovery of a stab wound in his stomach extinguishes any hope that this was a tragic accident. Erlendur and his team embark on their investigation with little to go on but the news that the boy's Thai half-brother is missing. Is he implicated, or simply afraid for his own life? The investigation soon unearths tensions simmering beneath the surface of Iceland's outwardly liberal, multicultural society. The boy's murder forces Erlendur to confront a tragedy in his own past. Soon, facts are emerging from the snow-filled darkness that are more chilling even than the Arctic night.… (more)

194 wanted6 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Arctic Chill by Arnaldur Indriðason was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,111,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible