At Grave's End (Night Huntress, Book 3)…

At Grave's End (Night Huntress, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Jeaniene Frost

Member:LRitte
Title:At Grave's End (Night Huntress, Book 3)
Authors:Jeaniene Frost
Info:Avon (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Cat, Bones, Night Huntress, Series, Vampire

At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost

English (74)  Italian (1)  All languages (75)

What usually happens with a series I end up loving is that I seriously fall head over heels for it by the third book. That's happened more times than I can remember, that third time is a charm that really lures me in. Sadly that's not the case yet with the Night Huntress series - I'm still finding the series hard to put down once I've picked the book up, but not in love with what I'm reading. It must just be that call of a series, where I keep reading because I'm into some parts of it, hoping the parts that are lackluster start shining more.

This time we don't jump ahead by years, but we still jump forward a bit, to where Bones and Cat have been working on the team together for awhile. They're much more welcoming where vampires are involved, even to the tune where they're starting to turn team members. As with the other stories, there's a big bad danger out there, first to Cat, but now also to Bones, and they have to come together with both teams (Bone's allies and Cat's paranormal team) to combat the biggest villain they've fought so far.

Cat still isn't a character I dig. She's not the worst I've read, but I find little redeeming about her. Her attitude wasn't as abrasive as the second book when it comes to trashy dialogue and manners in groups, but she's still too bloodthirsty and stereotypical for me. Bones calls her compassionate, but I have no idea where he's drawing that from. Besides sweet moments with Bones in private, she's socially horrid and I find it surprising anyone can stand her outside of the supposed appearance allure she apparently has. Bones himself shows even darker sides, and I do have to say the book takes too light an indulgence in torture for my tastes. It's not shown in detail thankfully, but I can imagine.

Side characters are where the book shines - Ian is still likable enough, Mencheres rocks with his powerful old self, Vlad is a surprisingly humorous addition that totally worked, I still like Tate, Don remains boring the background. I still don't like Cat's mother, although for different reasons this time - before she was just a close-minded nub, but now she's a stereotypical, irritating inconvenience.

Plot-wise, the book actually works - there's tension, sad parts, a huge finale where there are major causalities, and vampire politics. I didn't enjoy the part where Cat took over for an interim, it's just too cheesy and unrealistic for me to swallow. Sure, she's a good fighter and Bones, the best, taught her - but that easily she takes down that many ancient vamps on the stage? I can't buy that.

I'll continue with the series, already own the rest, and I do want to see how everything turns out. I'm only hoping I start liking the series more by the fourth book. I like it, but I'm not sucked in yet.
  Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
At Grave's End
4 Stars

I'm obviously in the minority but Cat and Bones's relationship is still not appealing to me. What little chemistry they had in the first two installments has fizzled out completely and now it seems like they are simply going through the motions. Moreover, it is difficult to summon up any emotional engagement with either Cat or Bones during the more angst ridden section of the book.

In contrast, the secondary characters have far more personality. Mencheres, Ian and Vlad are fleshed out well and Vlad, in particular, is very intriguing. Tate, on the other hand, needs to be sent packing as soon as possible as his character has turned into a whinny whelp. Denise and Spade get very little page time and this is surprising given that they have their own book - one expect their characters to be better developed by now.

The plot revolving around the machinations of a powerful and vengeful Egyptian vampire from Mencheres and Bones's past is solid and the incorporation of magic and zombies make for some exciting action scenes.

All in all, although Cat and Bones are not really my cup of tea, the Night Huntress world building is compelling, Frost's writing style flows and the storylines are engaging enough to continue with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I'd forgotten how much I love reading about Cat and Bones! So glad I finally picked this back up. It was great, of course! Bones and Cat were funny as always. I got to meet Vlad whom I love! the end of it was a bit sad but just makes me want to read the next one even more. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Wow! Lots happened in this book and since Cat is planning to quit her job it should be interesting to see how they keep her co-workers part of the story and continue the story line. Looking forward to finding out! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
The third installment of the Night Huntress series. This one was action packed, but I thought things got a little muddled in the middle there - like why did we have to talk about Tate getting shipped off to interrogate for Homeland Security if it wasn't actually going to happen? Just as motivation to change over Juan? I was just confused. I also thought it was weird for Cat to talk about quitting her job and then to just leave that completely unmentioned for the remainder of the book. Despite the fact that this is a series, it felt like a loose end. Of course the sex scenes with Bones and Cat are HOT as always. I also LOVED the introduction of the character Vlad Tepesh! Holy hell, he was both hilarious AND badass, what a potent combo. Finding out more about Mencheres was very interesting, and seeing further into the world of the vampires was illuminating, if not slightly disturbing (the feudalism thing with the street kids kind of freaked me out - I mean, is it really a choice for them?) Cat didn't do too many dumb things that I wanted to scream at her for, so bonus there. And the Justina - Rodney hookup? Can I say I just about howled over that one. Wicked.

It ended a little too abruptly for my taste, but overall it was a solid installment of the series. Can't wait for the next one. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |

Frost, Jeanieneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband, for accepting without judging, loving without conditions, laughing instead of getting angry, and thinking of others before yourself, I'm the lucky one.
The man smiled and I let my gaze linger over his face.

Some things won't stay buried . . . at grave's end

It should be the best time of half-vampire Cat Crawfield's life. With her undead lover Bones at her side, she's successfully protected mortals from the rogue undead. But though Cat's worn disguise after disguise to keep her true identity a secret from the brazen bloodsuckers, her cover's finally been blown, placing her in terrible danger.As if that wasn't enough, a woman from Bones's past is determined to bury him once and for all. Caught in the crosshairs of a vengeful vamp, yet determined to help Bones stop a lethal magic from being unleashed, Cat's about to learn the true meaning of bad blood. And the tricks she's learned as a special agent won't help her. She will need to fully embrace her vampire instincts in order to save herself—and Bones—from a fate worse than the grave.
Some things just won’t stay buried… at grave’s end.
It should be the best time of half-vampire Cat Crawfield’s life. With her undead lover, Bones, at her side, she’s successfully protected mortals from the rogue undead. But though Cat’s worn disguise after disguise to keep her true identity a secret from the brazen bloodsuckers, her cover’s finally been blown, placing her in terrible danger.
As if that wasn’t enough, a woman from Bones’ past is determined to bury him once and for all. Caught in the crosshairs of a vengeful vamp, yet determined to help Bones stop a lethal magic from being unleashed, Cat’s about to learn the true meaning of bad blood. And the tricks she’s learned as a special agent won’t help her. She will need to fully embrace her vampire instincts in order to save herself—and Bones—from a fate worse than the grave.

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is in terrible danger when her true identity is revealed to her enemies, while her lover Bones confronts a vengeful woman out to destroy him, as they try to prevent lethal magic from being unleashed.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,730,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible