Milton's Teeth and Ovid's Umbrella:…

by Michael Olmert

Member:moomin
Title:Milton's Teeth and Ovid's Umbrella: Curiouser and Curiouser Adventures in History
Authors:Michael Olmert
Info:Touchstone (1996), Paperback, 256 pages

Milton's Teeth and Ovid's Umbrella: Curiouser and Curiouser Adventures in History by Michael Olmert

This book is a book of essays - mostly about the daily objects and rituals that are found in the modern world. Some are more interesting than others (I skipped most of the chapter about baseball) but for the most part, these are all entertaining. I initially found the article to bounce around too much from age and and topic, but once I became accustomed to this, I could easily imagine each essay on NPR, maybe with the announcer using an English, friendly know it all type accent.

You will not find hardcore history in this book - each essay ends with a "For more Information" which lists sources and books/articles pertaining to the topic. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jan 5, 2013 |

We've been taught that history is the story of great events and important people -- but is it? In Milton's Teeth and Ovid's Umbrella, Michael Olmert shows how the most ordinary artifacts of everyday life can also be important sources of information. For the modern historian it's the little things that count, and these intriguing essays force us to take another look at the odds and ends of life we so often take for granted, including:
-- Toothbrushes -- how they eased civilization into the Industrial Revolution
-- Graffiti -- why they became a feature of our public "decoration"
-- Playing cards -- how the technology of printing cards led to Gutenberg's Bible
-- Keys -- why these little metal objects have been a symbol of power and authority throughout the ages
-- Horse racing -- how the rage for racing played an important role in the development of fashion and journalism

Whimsical, witty, and highly informative, Milton's Teeth and Ovid's Umbrella leads us through the back door and into the kitchen of history -- where people really lived.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:09 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,418,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible