Arranged

Arranged

Anne Blythe is thirty-something, successful in everything except her love life and questioning her choice in men. She always falls for dark haired, blue-eyed muscles. On the eve of her latest breakup she comes across a business card lying in the street that, coincidentally, bears her name. She pockets it assuming it is advertising for a dating service. In reality, it is a service that arranges marriages. Under the guise of only trying to get a story for her newspaper column Anne signs up for the service and a few months later she finds herself at a resort in Mexico marrying a virtual stranger. Will this be her “happily ever after” or will things go horribly wrong?

The premise of this book sounded so good. Although it was entertaining it really didn’t go to the places I expected so I was a little let down. It does raise a few interesting questions about love and marriage and had my expectations not been for something else I probably would have enjoyed this book more than I did.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
After reading some reviews for this book, I put it in my "to read" list, because I thought it sounded interesting. One of the most endearing things about the book is that the main character is named Anne Blythe (and yes, her middle name was Shirley - AND she had a brother named Gilbert). After a long line of failed relationships, Anne stumbles upon, quite by accident, a service that arranges marriages. To make a long story short, she follows through and takes the plunge.

It's a quick, amusing read. I enjoyed the characters and the story. Even though marriages have been arranged for centuries, the subject matter actually came across as a fresh twist on the old romantic comedy when set in modern day. It brings up some interesting thoughts on compatibility, friendship and romance within the institution of marriage. I gave it three out of five stars on Goodreads. I liked the book, but again, wasn't too keen on the language used, and going my entire life without reading it again wouldn't hurt my feelings. The original Anne Shirley certainly didn't have quite the potty mouth on her that this Anne did. Maybe I should just stick to my beloved Jane Austen. ( )
  lauraodom | Feb 17, 2014 |
If you're a fan of Anne of Green Gables (& I mean obsessed, like me) this is a great book! I laughed, was moved & had those truly girly "Oh! That's just perfect!" moments. Anne Shirley Blythe is looking for her Gilbert (not to be confused with her brother named Gil, btw) & the journey she embarks on is a winding & surprising one. I cannot give any of the twists away but this will make even the most sensible & serious holding their breath & hoping against hope that it'll all work out in the end.

There's a nice mention of Amber Sheppard (who was a character in Spin) that I thought was a neat nod to readers of the first book. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing, I suppose. Anne was easy to like & feel for as was her family. I didn't feel very connected to her BFF Sarah but she served her purpose very well in the story. Jack was worth every word & even when his transgression is revealed, I wanted to cheer for him. Even in the confusion & jumble of what's going on, the importance of trust & friendship being instrumental in the equation of love is clear to see. Simply put, I found it quite beautiful a testament.

Having read Spin, it was interesting to me to read Arranged & have a much deeper delve into similar territory (a writer clandestinely writing about something highly personal involving people who trust them but are unaware) but in much more depth & from a different perspective. Well done, altogether. It should likely go without saying that I'll be reading the author's next book, Forgotten when it comes out. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,902,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible