The Best of James Herriot: The Favorite…

The Best of James Herriot: The Favorite Stories of One of the Most Beloved… (1982)

by James Herriot

I haven't read James Herriot since I was a child, but I have fond memories of his compassion for animals. As I have an impending visit to Yorkshire and the Dales, I was delighted to find this old collection of his at a thrift store. I really wanted to get an intimate view of the people and the place, and wow, this did that. Herriot's stories are a joy. Cozy, touching, and full of humanity. Sometimes that humanity is frustrating and selfish, other times sad (this book did make me cry a couple times), and also laugh out loud funny.

This particular edition was especially wonderful because it included far more than his stories. This dictionary-sized hardcover has illustrations throughout, and marginalia that provides insights on life in the Dales during the Victorian era up though the '50s. This includes factoids on animals, peat harvesting, and farm and veterinary equipment, and even some traditional recipes. There are also color photo sections sporadically throughout the book that discuss things like Yorkshire castles, pubs, and the native flora and fauna. As a research geek, this thrilled me. I was left with a comprehensive overview of the region and life the way it used to be.

If you're of this same mindset, it's well worth seeking out this particular edition. I intend to keep it on my shelf as a reference book for my writing. ( )
  ladycato | Apr 22, 2019 |
James Herroit recounts his favourite memories, often humerous, as a young vet in Yorkshire around the 1940s-1950s. This volume is also interspersed with interesting facts and photo's of local scenery, history, customs, animals and plants. ( )
  TheWasp | Jan 31, 2019 |
Took my time with this old-fashioned, sweet and gentle gem. The book itself is stunning; the photos top-notch, and the stories are so well-written I felt I was right there in fictional Darrowby (based on real locations) with Herriot. His respectful description of the folks he meets is touching and refreshing, and his natural love and care of the many animals he treats is heart-warming and inspiring.

This book is bursting with the beauty of Yorkshire's countryside, as well as with the charm and strength of character of its farmers, their innate goodness, their dialect, mannerisms and humor.

Read this from cover to cover or pick out stories at random. You'll get to meet Gyp, the non-barking dog, John the farmer without wife or children who dotes on 2 elderly horses, and one about the Christmas kitten, and many other special and moving stories.

This is the perfect time to read a steadying book like this. Its a reminder of simpler times, the meaning of hard work, devotion and love of family, land and country, respect for others, and decency.

This phenomenal book is not going anywhere; it has a home in my home. ( )
  Bookish59 | Jul 10, 2017 |
Endearing stories of a country vet. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
This was a reread from my younger days. It's an unwieldy book to read, being a big fat hardcover, but the stories contained within are worth the odd bit of physical discomfort. This is a best-of collection, featuring Herriot's favourite stories and the ones his family particularly enjoys too. It is divided into four sections that are interspersed with glossy photo sections showcasing various aspects of life in the Yorkshire Dales: for example, the landscape, or pubs, or particular cities or towns. The placement of these sections was a bit awkward, because they would often interrupt a chapter, forcing the reader to slip in a bookmark to go back to that section later or risk losing the thread of the story in order to look at the photos. These photos are probably a bit dated, given that the book was published in the 1980s, but they are still pretty, especially the ones of the landscape.

The book is also dotted with information -- nearly every page has a sidebar containing an interesting fact about such things as medical devices, animals native to the Dales, or food. Sometimes the facts relate directly to the story they are positioned beside, but other times they seem less relevant.

The stories themselves are comforting if you've read them before. I couldn't have told you what any of them were about before my reread, but as I read, they all came back: the tales of Tricki Woo, the calamities involving cow birth, and the antics of Jimmy and Rosie, not to mention Siegfried's shocking memory and the adventure of Tristan and the pigs. Now I want to go hunt up the compilation volumes and read the rest of these stories. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Apr 20, 2016 |
ISBN 0312077165: James Herriot's own selections from his original books, with additional material from Reader's Digest editions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312077165, Hardcover)

A beautifully illustrated collection of favorite stories from all four of James Herriot's volumes of memoirs. Full-color photography and fascinating marginal notes in a one-of-a-kind gift book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:11 -0400)

James Herriot's own selection from his original books, with additional material by Reader's Digest editors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,533,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible