THE BLUE FAIRY BOOK-An Airmont Classi-Series…

THE BLUE FAIRY BOOK-An Airmont Classi-Series CL196 (original 1889; edition 1969)

by Andrew Lang, anonymous (Illustrator)

Member:Patsact
Title:THE BLUE FAIRY BOOK-An Airmont Classi-Series CL196
Authors:Andrew Lang (Editor)
Other authors:anonymous (Illustrator)
Info:Airmont (1969), Paperback
Tags:folklore, folk tales, fairy tales, children's stories

The Blue Fairy Book by Andrew Lang (1889)

great old illistrations. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
3 stars for the audiobook; 4 stars for the book itself.

A good mix of familiar and unfamiliar in this collection of fairy tales. I also liked the fact that fairy tales from different cultures were included (French, Norwegian, Arabic for example).

I was a bit surprised to discover one tale (The Terrible Head) which was basically the Greek myth of Perseus! And a few others were just versions of another fairy tale already in the collection (for example, Little Thumb & Hansel and Gretel).

While I thought that Angele Masters did some very good voices (and a very good Scots accent for the last two tales), there were recurring mouth sounds (mostly sounds of swallowing) that put me off. Glad that I picked up this audiobook as a free Whispersync deal, but that brings me to another problem I had with this audiobook. It didn't actually sync with the Kindle book properly -- it worked okay for a while but towards the end, I couldn't get it to play while reading the text. ( )
  leslie.98 | Nov 24, 2015 |
A tale of old about a boy, a giant,and a beanstalk. The tale is an example of how having courage and wisdom can get you through any ordeal. ( )
  ecmsms12 | Jun 23, 2013 |
I thought I would read this more quickly than I did and like it more. Perhaps it's because I chose to read it for class that it ended up feeling like a chore. I love the stories and was pleased to read some new ones I didn't recognize, but it felt like it took me forever to wade through the almost 400 pagss. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
A nice collection of fairy tales. We did not read it straight through but read selected stories. The kids kind of got a kick out of the grim nature of some of the tales. Fairy tales in their original form. ( )
  momma2 | Jul 14, 2011 |

Lang, Andrewprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aiken, JoanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gillon, EdmundCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Sandwyk, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to
ELSPETH ANGELA CAMPBELL
PREFACE
The Tales in this volume are intended for children, who will like, it is hoped, the old stories that have pleased so many generations.
THE BRONZE RING
Once upon a time in a certain country there lived a king whose palace was surrounded by a spacious garden.

The first volume in Lang's fairy tale series features some of the finest stories from around the world, most of them old favorites: 37 in all including "Sleeping Beauty," "Rumpelstiltskin," "Cinderella," "The Arabian Nights," "Beauty and the Beast," "Hansel and Gretel," "Jack the Giantkiller," and "Puss in Boots." Includes original 138 black-and-white illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:50 -0400)

A collection of thirty-seven fairy tales from the folklore of France, Germany, England and Arabia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,550,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible