The Silver Bear: A Novel by Derek Haas

The Silver Bear: A Novel

by Derek Haas

I was finally able to read this book while on vacation. I can't compare this to other books of the genre (like many of the reviews I've read) because I don't usually read these types of books--I read it because I'm a fan of Haas' writing for films such as 3:10 to Yuma and Wanted. All I know is this action/suspense thriller kept me turning the pages, with its present tense POV and straight-for-the-jugular action. It contains many of my favorite things from novels, movies, and TV shows: a dark story about a flawed anti-hero who somehow manages to keep us on his side (even when he's committing acts of atrocity), characters who are true-to-life gray rather than black-and-white, and conflict, conflict, and more conflict.

I can't wait to read the sequel. ( )
  cvalin | Jan 24, 2016 |
Columbus (called for his proficiency Silver Bear) is a professional hitman. Unlike Rain (another famous book character) he is not semi-official assassin (he is not extensively used by this or that government agency). He is a cold blooded professional working for whoever can pay him, made ruthless by his very occupation were trust means betrayal and where affection means Achilles ( )
  Zare | Dec 4, 2012 |
  Zare | Dec 4, 2012 |
A quick holiday read Christmas 2010. Not sure if it reflects true life but the least you could say that it reflects the vulnerability of children in (bad) care and that they can easily end up leading dysfunctional lives.
  SeanMulcahy | Dec 31, 2010 |
Decent, but I found myself unengaged and not wanting to pick it up, so I gave up about halfway through. I can't really say there's anything wrong with it in particular, but I tend to like the books I've read in this vein and this one just didn't grab me. ( )
  somegirl | Oct 14, 2009 |

"He wants you to know him, maybe even admire him, but only for his excellence in his craft. Perhaps he was even born for it. "A natural killer," his mentor - a middleman named Vespucci - said he was. He proved it with his first professional hit: a Fifth Circuit Court judge in Boston, executed with a sheet of Saran Wrap in the stairwell of her own courthouse. He's proved his merit often, usually with a Glock semiautomatic, but he's improvised too, with his bare hands, the heel of a shoe, knives, even a sewing machine. He is the consummate assassin, at the top of his form, immune to the psychological strains of his chosen profession. He is what the Russians call a Silver Bear." "He calls himself Columbus. It's the name Vespucci gave him ten years ago, when he discovered a dark, new world of fences, clients, marks, jobs, jack. Not that his real name meant much to him anyways. He never knew his father or his mother, a prostitute who became dangerously involved back in the seventies with an earnest young congressman named Abe Mann, then a rising star in the Democratic Party." "The magnetic Abe Mann has since become Speaker of the House. Currently a front-runner for the Democratic nomination in an exhausting presidential campaign, he's weaving his way across the country - with Columbus not far behind. But as the Silver Bear closes in on perhaps his most important mark, the underworld he has always ruled abruptly turns against him."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible