The Children of Green Knowe by L. M. Boston

The Children of Green Knowe (original 1954; edition 2002)

by L. M. Boston, Peter Boston (Illustrator)

Tolly comes to live with his great-grandmother at the ancient house of Green Knowe and becomes friends with three children who lived there in the seventeenth century.
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:The Children of Green Knowe
Authors:L. M. Boston
Other authors:Peter Boston (Illustrator)
Info:Sandpiper (2002), Edition: 1, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Discard, Cover maybe done
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fic, Childrens, !Sale:YS, __check_cover, _Read2019

The Children of Green Knowe by L. M. Boston (1954)

I do love Children of Green Knowe - I like Tolly, and enjoy his adventures. The matter-of-fact way magic just sort of happens is lovely. I also love the descriptions - the everyday English countryside, and all the bits of secret around Green Knowe. And a lovely ending, after one very scary scene. I know how it ends - I've read it probably a dozen times over the years - and I still hold my breath and shiver in that dark night. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 3, 2019 |
The Children of Green Knowe - Boston
Audio performance by Simon Vance
5 stars

This is the wonderful first book of a children’s fantasy series. Green Knowe is an ancient manor house. When Tolly arrives for his school holidays, it’s only other inhabitant is his Great Grandmother. It’s only other living inhabitant. Green Knowe has an empty stable yard, topiary in the gardens, antiques in the dusty rooms, and ghosts of past residents. It’s the perfect place for a lonely child to spend his Christmas break.

It was the perfect book to reread at the end of a hectic season. ( )
  msjudy | Jan 1, 2019 |
A little boy goes to live with his grandmother in an ancient house. He eventually finds there are the ghosts of 3 children who had lived there in medieval times.
Very interesting piece of children's fiction -a pleasant but eerie ghost story. It has a kind of Turn of the Screw vibe to it, but there's nothing terribly sinister, at least in this volume, the first in a series of books.
It has great atmosphere and sense of place.There is a measure of thematic richness. The ending is a bit of a let down, feeling a bit too much like a celebration of class privilege. Prior to that it was cruising for a 4 star evaluation... ( )
  arthurfrayn | Nov 19, 2018 |
A boy comes to live with his great-grandmother in the ancestral family home and makes friends with the ghosts of three children who live there, too. I love this series (a re-read for me, and Charlie's first time - this was our bedtime read for the past few weeks); Tolly is such a great character, as is Mrs. Oldknow, and Boggis, and the children, and the story as a whole is so wonderfully, quietly magical. ( )
  scaifea | Nov 5, 2018 |
The Children of Green Knowe, the first of Boston's six books about the fictional manor house, Green Knowe, was a commended runner up for the 1954 Carnegie Medal.[7][a] The novel concerns the visit of a young boy, Toseland, to the magical house, Green Knowe. The house is tremendously old, dating from the Norman Conquest, and has been continually inhabited by Toseland's ancestors, the d'Aulneaux family, later called Oldknowe or Oldknow. Toseland crosses floodwaters by night to reach the house, to spend the Christmas holidays with his great-grandmother, Linnet Oldknow, who addresses him as "Tolly".

Over the course of the novel, Tolly explores the rich history of his family, which pervades the house like magic. He begins to encounter what appear to be the spirits of three of his forebears—an earlier Toseland (nicknamed Toby), Alexander, and an earlier Linnet—who lived in the reign of Charles II. These meetings are for the most part not frightening to Tolly; they continually reinforce his sense of belonging that the house engenders. In the evenings, Mrs. Oldknow (whom Tolly calls "Granny") entertains Tolly with stories about the house and those who lived there. Surrounded by the rivers and the floodwater, sealed within its ancient walls, Green Knowe is a sanctuary of peace and stability in a world of unnerving change. (Wikipedia)
  richard_dury | Sep 28, 2018 |

Boston, L. M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boston, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my son
A little boy was sitting in the corner of a railway carriage looking out at the rain, which was splashing against the windows and blotching downwards in an ugly, dirty way.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,340,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible