The Children of Green Knowe by L. M. Boston

The Children of Green Knowe (original 1954; edition 2002)

by L. M. Boston

Member:tewhalen
Title:The Children of Green Knowe
Authors:L. M. Boston
Info:Odyssey Classics (2002), Edition: 1st Harcou, Paperback
Tags:children, fiction, fantasy

The Children of Green Knowe by Lucy M. Boston (1954)

I dunno. For some reason this just didn't quite hit me. I guess because I didn't feel I got to really know Tolly as an individual, or any of the characters really. The stories were interesting, the writing was graceful, the concepts enchanting - but it just felt, erm, superficial? bland? I haven't decided yet whether I'll read the second - I own it, but I may register & release it through bookcrossing & swap unread. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I had forgotten how much I love this book! Revisiting it as an adult it holds just as much charm as I remember from childhood. It's haunting, beautiful and nostalgic and a wonderful Christmas read. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
It is a wonderful to share with our children book, I really liked what I had never read, it truly is a fantastic story for children and to have in our collection of books to share with my grandchildren.
  ana.j.diaz.1 | Jan 11, 2015 |
I liked it. I really liked the relationship between Tolly and his grandmother. Seems like a good first spooky book for kids. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I read most of this series as a kid and I know I loved them (even though I know I thought the one with the gorilla was really weird). I re-read this because it came up on Betsy Bird's Top 100 chapter book list. When I finished it last night, I thought it didn't hold up to my first reading: it didn't feel compelling. But now I'm coming back around to it! It has a marvelous sense of time(s) and place and the stories-within-the-story build nicely on each other. I think its true home is magical realism rather than spooky supernatural. It's a sense of wonder and discovery that dominates, rather than fear and suspense. I might give it to fans of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |

Lucy M. Bostonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boston, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my son
A little boy was sitting in the corner of a railway carriage looking out at the rain, which was splashing against the windows and blotching downwards in an ugly, dirty way.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152024689, Paperback)

This is not an easy book, and therein lies its charm. L.M. Boston's classic is a sophisticated mood piece disguised as a children's ghost story. As young Toseland goes to live with his grandmother in the family's ancestral home, the reader is plunged immediately into the world of Green Knowe. Like Toseland, who actually rows up to his new home in the midst of a flood, we have a hard time finding our bearings. Toseland discovers a funny kind of grandmother awaiting him--one who speaks elliptically of the children and animals she keeps around the house: they might be memories, they might be ghosts. It's never quite clear where real life leaves off and magic begins. Toseland admires a deer: "A deer seems more magic than a horse." His grandmother is quick to respond: "Very beautiful fairy-tale magic, but a horse that thinks the same thoughts that you do is like strong magic wine, a love philtre for boys."

With this meshing of the magical and the real, Boston evokes a childlike world of wonder. She compounds the effect by combining gorgeous images and eerily evocative writing. Toseland goes out on a snowy morning: "In front of him, the world was an unbroken dazzling cloud of crystal stars, except for the moat, which looked like a strip of night that had somehow sinned and had no stars in it." The loosely plotted story is given more resonance still through liberal use of biblical imagery and Anglo-Saxon mythology. For those willing to suspend their disbelief and read carefully, the world of Green Knowe offers a wondrous escape. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:20 -0400)

Tolly comes to live with his great-grandmother at the ancient house of Green Knowe and becomes friends with three children who lived there in the seventeenth century.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,257,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible