The Children of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

The Children of Henry VIII (1996)

by Alison Weir

In this book, Weir tells us about King Henry VIII successors, beginning with his son Edward, Henry's great-niece Lady Jane Grey, his daughter Mary, and his daughter Elizabeth. This book focuses on the reigns of Edward, Jane, and Mary, and ends as Elizabeth is becoming queen. Weir is trying to show us more about the relationships between them, which I think is why she doesn't continue on to Elizabeth's reign.

I like reading the historical fiction about the Tudors, but reading this nonfiction account actually tells me what really happened; the fictional accounts always leave me wondering what was real and what wasn't. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 17, 2018 |
A good book about exactly what the title says - the children of King Henry VIII. As a teacher of A.P. European History, I knew the basic story of Edward, Mary, and Elizabeth but this book obviously contained a wealth of information that added to my knowledge. Weir writes her narrative in a way that mixes history and storytelling well.

I would probably have given this book five stars if it weren't for two things. First, following the names of English aristocrats at this time is very difficult. The men earn new titles and therefore new names, but it seemed as if this wasn't clearly explained and the names were interchanged when telling the story. This slowed the reading down for me a bit, but this is a minor complaint.

I would recommend this book for history lovers, but I think it might be a bit too in depth for someone coming to this story with no knowledge of the period. I will certainly be reading more of Weir's work in the future. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
It's non-fiction, but is much better than her Captive Queen. Also, mine is hardcover, not paperback. ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
A very engaging biography of Henry VIII's children. The title is somewhat misleading in that it doesn't talk about his illegitimate son, Henry FitzRoy, and includes another Tudor descendant, Lady Jane Grey. The book is not an individual biography of each child, but examines their relationships with each other.

It's a very interesting read that holds the reader's attention. The short reign of Edward VI is tragic, and that of the "Nine Days Queen" even more so. Queen Mary I comes off as a religious intolerant, and Queen Elizabeth I is the hope of the future.

Excellent reading! ( )
  briandrewz | May 13, 2016 |
Love Grandma Eleanor! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Alison Weirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Children of Henry VIII is dedicated to all the children in my family:  At Carshalton, John and Katherine Weir; at Chesterfield, David and Andrew Weir; at Edinburgh, Paul Masterton, Stephen and Susan Scott; at Kidderminster, David and Peter Marston; at Melbourne, Gemma and Kevin Cullen; at York, Agnes, Bruce, and Douglas Weir.
In his bedchamber in the Palace of Whitehall King Henry VIII lay dying.

blurb: At his death in 1547, Henry VIII left four heirs to the English throne: his only son, the nine year old Prince Edward: the Lady Mary, the adult daughter of his first wife, Katherine of Aragon: the Lady Elizabeth, the teenage daughter of his second wife Anne Boleyn: and his young great niece the Lady Jane Grey. In this riveting account Alison Weir paints a unique portrait of these extraordinary rulers, examining their intricate relationships to each other and to history. She traces the tumult that followed Henry’s death, from them brief intrigue filled reigns of the boy king Edward VI and the fragile Lady Jane Grey, to the savagery of ‘Bloody Mary’ and finally the accession of the politically adroit Elizabeth I.
As always, Weir offers a fresh perspective on a period that has spawned many of the most enduring myths in English history, combining the best of the historian’s and the biographer’s art.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345407865, Paperback)

The royal family may have its problems these days, but as Alison Weir reminds us in this cohesive and impeccably researched book, the nobility of old England could be both loveless and ruthless. Weir, an expert in the period and author of a book on Henry's VIII wives, focuses on the children of Henry VIII who reigned successively after his death in 1547: Edward VI, Mary I ("Bloody Mary") and Elizabeth I. The three shared little--living in separate homes--except for a familial legacy of blood and terror. This is exciting history and fascinating reading about a family of mythic proportions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:53 -0400)

At his death in 1547, King Henry VIII left four heirs to the English throne : his only son, the nine-year-old Prince Edward; the Lady Mary, the adult daughter of his first wife, Katherine of Aragon; the Lady Elizabeth, the teenage daughter of his second wife, Anne Boleyn; and his young great niece, the Lady Jane Grey. In this riveting account, Alison Weir paints a unique portrait of these extraordinary rulers, examining their intricate relationships to one another and to history. She traces the tumult that followed Henry's death, from the brief intrigue-filled reigns of the boy-king Edward VI and the fragile Lady Jane Grey, to the savagery of "Bloody Mary," and finally the accession of the politically adroit Elizabeth I.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,681,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible