Sudden Death by Allison Brennan

Sudden Death

by Allison Brennan

Series: FBI trilogy (Mar 2009 - book 1)

Started April 01st, 2014.
After reading the Novella [b:Maximum Exposure|18926466|Maximum Exposure (Max Revere, #0.5)|Allison Brennan|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1387579346s/18926466.jpg|26933212] I could not wait to read another book by this author.
And I was also reminded, that there is a better style in writing, than the non-stop-action of some of the books I struggled through in the past months.
While the ending was disappointing, being predictable and without a twist, which would have warranted a fifth star, I really liked most of the book.
One nice short sex-scene, not overly explicit and rather plain, nothing kinky.
A skimmed a few of the 3-4 star reviews before buying and reading this one, and some had bought the book on the preconception (from advertisement?) that it would be romance-thriller. For me the romance part was ok, just believable, and in small doses, but I would not describe the book as a romance-whatever. It is a thriller, and a page-turner.
Very detailed description of sadistic torture, so be warned, not for the squeamish reader.
The book takes no clear stand for or against self-justice and vigilantism, rather it shows both point-of-views. Also with soldiers following orders (or not) and rule-abiding.
Highly recommended, with hoping for a more realistic (and bloody?) ending in the other books in the series (which I will surely read and soon [b:Cutting Edge: A Novel of Suspense|5630213|Cutting Edge A Novel of Suspense|Allison Brennan|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320400330s/5630213.jpg|5801620] and [b:Fatal Secrets: A Novel of Suspense|4800696|Fatal Secrets A Novel of Suspense|Allison Brennan|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320400328s/4800696.jpg|4865809]) ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
The plot and action of this romantic suspense were very good but the hero and heroine didn't even meet in the first third of the book then it was love at first sight which really didn't fit the story. FBI agent Megan is investigating a serial killer when she meets Jack who is a close friend of one of the victims.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Megan Elliott is a very successful special agent in the FBI. She takes her cases personally and she never gives up. Never. Megan currently heads the Violent Crimes/Major Offender Squad for the FBI. She takes her job very seriously and runs everything by the book. She doesn’t even bend the rules.

Jack Kincaid is a soldier-for-hire. He only takes jobs that are for the greater good. He has a team he trusts and he knows they would never fail him on a job. He doesn’t play by the rules but rather follows his heart and the consequences be damned. Jack is still trying to put right something that happened so many years ago and was beyond his control. He hasn’t been home, except for weddings and funerals, for 20 years.

Now a vicious pair of killers are cutting a bloody path through the United States killing veterans of the elite Delta Force. If it wasn’t bad enough that they are killing these men who have served for their country, the men are being taped to a chair and brutally tortured before being shot execution style. Megan gets involved in the Sacramento murder and Jack becomes involved when someone near and dear is murdered by the pair.

Can Megan and Jack work together to stop these serial killers before they strike again? Both must make compromises if they want to catch and stop them.

Brennan delivers again. I have read most of her back list and I am always amazed by the plots she creates. She includes high drama and tension with a satisfying ending. Who could ask for more? With Sudden Death, I wasn’t scarred or terrified as I have been before. I was more grossed out. The killers’ particular brand of torture is a personal flip out factor for me. It is very effective and I have no doubt that it could truly be done, it just creeps me out.

Both Megan and Jack are strong characters are they know their own morals and values. They also know which ones they can let bend a little to get the end result that they want. Their attraction is instantaneous but neither wants to bring down that wall of professionalism to explore it….until that wall gets blown apart by desire. Overall this was a great book and one that I think most romantic suspense junkies will appreciate. ( )
  Once-Upon-a-Chapter | Nov 16, 2014 |
When a homeless veteran is found dead in a squalid Sacramento alley, FBI special agent Megan Elliott vows to find the murdered hero’s killer. Her investigation gets complicated fast, for the victim, a former Delta Force soldier, is just one link in a nationwide spree of torture and murder.

Straight off a job rescuing medical missionaries, soldier-for-hire Jack Kincaid returns to his home base in the Texas border town of Hidalgo only to receive the news that one of his closest colleagues–also ex-military–has been brutally murdered. Faced with an inept local police force, Jack takes matters into his own hands.

Now, as part of a national task force to stop the sadistic killings, by-the-book Megan and burn-the-book Jack form a tense alliance, sparked with conflict and temptation. But they struggle against more than passion, for a vicious pair of killers has only just begun a rampage of evil . . . and the primary target is much closer than Megan suspects. (Amazon Desc.)

Complex plot, suspenseful action, steamy romance . . . Brennan, as usual, delivers! ( )
  lrobe190 | Jan 3, 2014 |
I've downloaded this book to my Kindle twice (Ammie keeps recommending it to me) and I just can't hack it. It's both poorly written and so very needlessly violent. ( )
  dianaleez | Sep 24, 2013 |

Brennan, Allisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Ann MarieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice.
Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged."
--SAMUEL JOHNSON (1709-1784)
"If an injury has to be done to a man
it should be so severe
that his vengeance need not be feared."
--NICCOLÒ MACHIAVELLI (1469-1527)
For advice, guidance, and faith:

This book is for Kim Whalen.
PROLOGUE
They had debated killing Duane Johnson when he closed his restaurant, or outside the VFW Hall where he drank and played cards every week, but ultimately they decided that his house was the ideal place.

Renegade Jack Kincaid is forced to team up with "by the book" FBI agent Megan Elliott to stop a killer who is targeting soldiers with ties to Jack's mysterious past.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,466,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible