Daughter of Deceit by Patricia Sprinkle

Daughter of Deceit (2008)

by Patricia Sprinkle

This is the first book I've read in the Family Tree series because I happened to see it at the bookstore the day I was there. I enjoyed the book once I got into it but the real action started too late in the book. About 100 pages in I was starting to wonder why I was still reading it and had vowed never to travel south of the Mason Dixon Line. The book seemed to be all about Bara and her relationship with Jack Daniels. But I liked Katharine, the amateur detective/genealogist character, enough to go back and read the first two books in the series if I come across them. ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |
Although she’s planning a gala party for dozens of people and finishing a massive home remodeling, Atlanta socialite Katharine Murray lets herself get roped into a research project for a woman she barely knows ... and doesn’t much like. Bara Holcomb Weidenauer is an aging, off-the-wagon alcoholic who is in the midst of a nasty divorce and still grieving the recent death of her beloved father Winnie. Bara asks Katharine, an amateur genealogist, to find out what Winnie did to earn several medals during World War II.

When Katharine discovers the story behind Winnie’s Congressional Medal of Honor, one fact in the citation rocks Bara’s already shaky world. Try as she might to extricate herself from Bara and her problems, Katharine winds up stepping into a murder investigation with Bara as suspect #1.

Although it is technically a mystery, Daughter of Deceit reads more like a family saga – much like the two earlier entries in this series, a favorite of mine. That’s not a criticism, merely a heads up to readers who like a mystery’s focus to be solely on a crime and its solution. (The main crime occurs more than 200 pages into Daughter of Deceit’s 365 pages.)

Patricia Sprinkle is a terrific writer, a marvelous storyteller; and she has created a first-rate heroine in Katharine Murray. I prefer a less-than-perfect heroine who is constantly challenging herself and growing stronger with every book. Katharine qualifies on both counts. Being a genealogist myself, I love plots that involve delving into the past. Patricia Sprinkle manages to give family historians just enough to keep us interested without overwhelming readers who could not care less about genealogy.

By Diana. First published in Mystery News, Dec ’08 - Jan ’09 issue. ( )
  NewsieQ | Mar 27, 2009 |
Monday
Bara Holcomb Weidenauer was on a mission to save her life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060819839, Mass Market Paperback)

Katharine Murray's elegant Atlanta home has been viciously vandalized! She's prepared to devote all her time to getting it back in tip-top shape—until she meets Bara Weidenauer. Once a picture-perfect socialite, Bara has fallen on some hard times. Her husband, Foley, has hightailed it out of their marriage, and she's convinced he'll try to take her for every penny she's got. While scouring her house for anything of value to hide from her greedy ex, Bara finds a box of military medals that once belonged to her father, a beloved war hero. Eager to know the story behind these precious trinkets, she enlists Katharine's help.

But as Katharine digs deeper into Weidenauer family history, she discovers that everything Bara believed about her father may have been a lie. And when Foley is found shot to death, Bara's world turns to complete chaos. It's up to Katharine to expose this family's secrets from the past and the present . . . or the future will be very grim indeed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:17 -0400)

Working hard to repair her Atlanta home after it is vandalized, Katherine Murray comes to the aid of Bara Weidenauer, a socialite who wants her to investigate the military medals that once belonged to her father, but Katherine's case is complicated by the murder of Bara's greedy, estranged husband and by the discovery that Bara's father had been hiding some profoundly disturbing secrets.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,417,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible