Off to First Grade by Louise Borden

Off to First Grade (2008)

by Louise Borden

482242,697 (4)None

This story discusses the many different things that students could expect when going into the first grade. I think that it is written to appeal to the appropriate age of students (kindergarten/going into first grade). The style and page format is interesting in itself. The lines are broken up in a specific manner and there are multiple pictures on many of the pages. It is also written with students' perspectives and the names of these students are in alphabetical order. This is also a great resource for reviewing the alphabet by having students recognize that factor of the story ( )
  brborsen | Dec 12, 2011 |
I can still recall vividly a recommendation that was made when I attended my eldest son’s kindergarten orientation: make sure your child is not expecting to ride the school bus to school (unless he actually is going to climb aboard)! It was great advice. In those days he was captivated by large vehicles. Discovering at the last minute that he would not be riding the bus to school could have been terribly disappointing. The transition from kindergarten to grade one is explored thoroughly and with thoughtfulness in Off to First Grade. The author tells the story from a variety of perspectives. We discover some children will ride the bus and others will walk. Some are eager to begin grade one and a few think they would rather stay in kindergarten. Mrs. Miller is hoping to remember everyone’s name, the school bus driver is excited and the principal wonders which book to read aloud to the new grade one students.
  storytimestandouts | Aug 29, 2008 |
As old as I am, I still remember starting first grade and all the anxiety it brought on. To leave the lazy days of summer was both exciting and a bit scary. Communication between parent or grandparent and child is so important. A great way to open up dialogue is through books such as this one.

OFF TO FIRST GRADE centers around children who will be attending Mrs. Miller’s class. Each of the twenty three children will be preparing for their first day of school, including Mr. Zimmerman, the school’s principal. Young readers will be able to identify with one of the characters as well as their parents. This is a fun read-along book.

I don’t want to end this without commenting on the artwork. The book is illustrated masterfully by Joan Rankin. I fell in love with each page. It was hard to pick out my favorite. If forced, it would have to be Quinn and his dad, who listens to jazz on the radio with Nina and her grandpa, Pops as a close second. This is the type of book you could read again and again. ( )
  judithkaye | Aug 14, 2008 |
For Abigail, our sunshine - LB
Especially for Jade - JR
Anna: At last, it is August 26th on our calendar.

It's the first day of first grade, and everyone in Mrs. Miller's class is getting ready! Anna is excited about reading zillions of books, Ben's mom gives him a big off-to-first-grade hug, and Claire poses for a first-day picture. In Off to First Grade we hear from all twenty-three of Mrs. Miller's students - from Anna to Yoshi - and even the school principal, Mr. Zimmerman, as they prepare for a day that promises to be filled with fun, learning and laughs.

Every young reader will find someone to identify with as this class deals with the excitement, nerves and feelings of anticipation that go along with the first day of first grade.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

Each member of a first grade class, as well as their teacher, principal, and a bus driver, expresses excitement, worry, or hope as the first day of school begins.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,592,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible