The Golem's Eye (The Bartimaeus…

The Golem's Eye (The Bartimaeus Sequence) (original 2004; edition 2010)

by Jonathan Stroud

Member:LyraSilvertongue
Title:The Golem's Eye (The Bartimaeus Sequence)
Authors:Jonathan Stroud
Info:Corgi Childrens (2010), Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy fiction, kids, young adult, magic, magicians, demons

The Golem's Eye by Jonathan Stroud (2004)

English (68)  German (6)  French (1)  All languages (75)
Again, these people are assholes -- even the heroes.

At first I was all excited because it seemed they'd fridged the girl-hero character's male best friend, but he recovered (if disfigured) and lived happily ever after. Gratuitous fridging is awful, but I thought a parallel would at least be *fair*. No such luck, though.

What *is* interesting is that the girl-hero is totally the mary sue of the book -- except that she's playing the role of the iconic curious, rebellious, brainy athlete, who goes into battle and risks her life to save people who totally don't deserve the favor.

However, Bartimaeus is still the only character who held my interest.

As a series aimed at junior high kids, these books are like lessons in misanthropy. I am trying to decide whether I'm invested enough to slog through book 3. I just don't know... ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
Secondo libro della Trilogia di Bartimeus, "L'occhio del Golem" continua a seguire le vicende del mago adolescente Nathaniel e del jinn Bartimeus, oltrechè di un personaggio non prorpio nuovo in quanto ripescato dal precedente libro. Si tratta di Kitty Jones, una rappresentante della resistenza (organo questo che trama la caduta del potere dei maghi). Dopo tre anni dagli avvenimenti del primo libro ritroviamo Nathaniel che - oltre ad aver cambiato mentore - lavora presso il Ministero degli Interni quale segretario del Ministro degli Interni stesso. A causa della popolarità ottenuta dopo aver salvato il Primo Ministro ne "L' Amuleto di Samarcanda", Nathaniel si ritrova ora al centro degli intrighi degli avidi maghi del Ministero invidiosi del potere che è arrivato ad ottenere. Nathaniel e Bartimeus saranno costretti ad indagare su strane distruzioni ai danni del Governo che per alcuni sono opera della resistenza...ma per Nath, per buona parte, sono causate da una forza diversa e minacciosa che si ammanta di una strana nube nera e viene diretta da un entità segreta. ...oltre a questo vi troverete di fronte afrit "scoppiati", bastoni magici, vecchi avidi, spie strambe, lupi mannari.....e tanto altro ancora. L'unica cosa che mi è dispiaciuta un pò è stato il cambiamento avvenuto nel carattere di Nathaniel...ma ve ne accorgerete leggendolo! ( )
  AzureStrawberry | Feb 5, 2014 |
Nathaniel (aka John Mandrake) and the djinni, Bartimaeus are back, in another action-packed, humour-filled, adventure. Two years have passed since Nathaniel dismissed the wise-cracking djin from his service, two years in which he has risen to a Minister of Internal Affairs in the English parliment, aged only 14. But these are not your amicable and noble witches and wizards - these are the ambitious, oft greedy, yet afraid to get their hands dirty (they send their demons to do the dirty work, and observe from afar) breed of magician. The sort that act amicable enough to each other's faces, but in the next breath would plot to destroy them. The sort to which deceit comes easy.

Nathaniel has been charged to track down and eliminate the Resistance, a group of commoners who, sick of having to be subordinate to the pompous magicians, have begun in small acts of terrorism. Stealing artifacts here, causing minor havoc, but nothing fatal, nothing deadly. So when a fearsome golem, shrouded in shadow carves a path of terror through London, can it really be them behind it?

I enjoyed this book for the dry humour, particularly surrounding the quick-witted, sharp-tongued djin, Bartimaeus. I found myself liking Nathaniel less and less, considering him something of a pretentious teenager, and instead found my affections directed towards Bartimaeus and Kitty Jones, a commoner and one of the Resistance. Her honour, quick-wits and indomitable attitude certainly called out to me. I cannot wait to see where Stroud takes her and Nathaniel in the next story, which I am going to guess will concern bringing about a drastic change to teh English government. All in all, plenty of excitement, twists and dry British humour make this an enjoyable and appealing read, even if you wish it were you that hit Nathaniel in the face.

One intensely annoying part of Stroud's technique, however, is to skip from first person to third within a few sentences, so that whilst one minute you're in Bartimaeus's head ("I" etc) the next you're watching him from afar ("...the blackbird hopped across the lawn...") which given Bartimaeus' tendency to change form frequently and me to read too fast, lead to me thinking for an entire passage that he was being helped by a cat, whereas he was in fact the cat. I'm not sure if this distracting tendency is intentional or not, and I cannot surmise what purpose it really serves to the narrative. I DO like the first person for the djin, but he could have kept it consistent!

Otherwise = good book, although perhaps not quite as fresh and original as its predecessor, it is certainly a rather different way of looking at magic-users! ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
Follow-up to the Amulet of Samarkand and in the style of the Harry Potter books, but somewhat darker. Well written and a good story about a young wizard dubbed a golden boy and his fall from grace followed by a resurgence. Very good detail, but lots to keep straight. Good on audio. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
I didn't like this book as much as the first one in the series. I still loved the main characters, and the plot was a good idea, if a bit predictable. But I feel that the author tried to make this book just as long as the first one when there wasn't enough content to do so. Especially when reading from the point of view of Nathaniel and Bartimaeus. Kitty's POV was good for the most part, as there was always something happening with her. And I enjoyed the new POV from this character and learning more about the beliefs of the resistance. But when it came to Nat and Barty, the story dragged on and not much happened. It was mostly filler. It became a chore to read and my mind kept wondering off. I ended up skipping pages and I felt like I didn't miss anything. If the book was shortened by about half, I think I would have enjoyed it much more. ( )
  Weirdology | Mar 31, 2013 |

Jonathan Stroudprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grant, MelvynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Philippa
At dusk, the enemy lit their campfires one by one, in greater profusion than on any night before. (Prologue)
London: a great and prosperous capital, two thousand years old, which in the hands of the magicians aspired to be the center of the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786836547, Paperback)

Due to the success of his first campaign involving the Amulet of Samarkand, Nathaniel, now fourteen, has been appointed the youngest representative ever to the Office of Internal Affairs, and has been devising traps to capture members of the Resistance--a secretive group of commoners who are determined to undermine the ruling class of magicians. When a magic-sapping Golem’s surprise first attack is labeled an act of Resistance terrorism, Nathaniel reluctantly summons Bartimaeus for help. Meanwhile, a zealous young member of the Resistance, Kitty Jones, is planning to rob the sacred tomb of the great magician Gladstone, and turn the power of his buried magical instruments against the spell makers. The towering clay Golem and its shadowy master unites the destinies of Nathaniel, Bartimaeus, and Kitty together in one fateful night--unfortunately, that night is much too slow in coming. Stroud’s second book is far too long and gloomy, focusing more on the priggish Nathaniel and wronged Kitty than the dijinni readers have come to adore. Fans of Jonathan Stroud’s breakout hit, The Amulet of Samarkand, may be a little disappointed to discover that Bartimaeus features so little his second book. While Stroud cleverly uses the class war between the ruling magicians and the disgruntled commoners as a metaphor for current political and social clashes, the text suffers overall from a lack of the dijinni’s famous facetious footnotes. Avid fans are left skimming the slow parts and hoping that when Bartimaeus escapes his servile bonds he will be given more space to make them laugh. --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:42 -0400)

In their continuing adventures, magician's apprentice Nathaniel, now fourteen years old, and the djinni Bartimaeus travel to Prague to locate the source of a golem's power before it destroys London.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,352,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible