Empires of Trust: How Rome Built—and…

Empires of Trust: How Rome Built—and America is Building—a New World (2008)

by Thomas F. Madden

An interesting and important read for any student of the modern world and future of America. Not only was America modeled upon the ancient Roman Republic, we seem doomed to repeat its failures into collapse. Perhaps we can learn the lessons of history and change course. ( )
1 vote kurvanas | Dec 20, 2011 |
It's rare and wonderful when I discover an author who can make my perception of the world change with the flick of a turning page. For one, I'll never think of Romans, Jews, and Americans in the same way again! Madden takes the past and lays it out in a comprehensible and highly engaging manner...almost tangible. He shows how the past provides insight into to current events that affect us all - like terrorism and the war in Iraq. It seems quite the du jour pass time to trash America ---Madden not only refrains he does quite the opposite. I felt enervated by his view of our country ... hopeful. ( )
  AlmaB | Jul 2, 2010 |
The Roman Republic sought to avoid war and foreign conflict, but tht impossible (after the sack of Rome by the Gauls in 390 B.C.) and so contructed an Empire of Trust (compared to one of Conquest (e.g. Mongols) or Trade (e.g. Britain). An alliance with Rome was sought by all states facing threats, since Rome's Republican government ensuurd fair and honorable treatment of allies (and defeated enemies). Most controversially, the author see America's growth as a world power as the near mirror image of that of the early Roman Republic. ( )
1 vote DanelMaddison | Feb 27, 2010 |
For Helena and Melinda
By historical standards, the United States is a young country.

An acclaimed historian offers an optimistic view of the future of the United States in the light of Roman history

Maybe the end of the American ascendancy is not upon us. Maybe the U.S. will continue to dominate the world for centuries. Now award-winning historian Thomas Madden delivers an optimistic view of our nation's future.

Madden shows that the power of the ancient Roman republic and the U.S. was built on trust between allies, not the conquest of enemies. The far-reaching implications of this fact are essential reading for anyone who cares about the challenges we face now and in the years ahead.

Packed with stories from Roman history that offer amazingly obvious and explicitly stated parallels to our recent history, Empires of Trust is a narrative pleasure and a hopeful inspiration.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:22 -0400)

Madden explores surprising parallels between the Roman and American republics. By making friends of enemies and demonstrating a commitment to fairness, the two republics--both "reluctant" yet unquestioned super-powers--built empires based on trust. Madden also includes vital lessons from the Roman Republic's 100-year struggle with "terrorism."… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,054,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible