Bones of the Hills by Conn Iggulden

Bones of the Hills (2009)

by Conn Iggulden

English (13)  French (1)  All languages (14)
Iggulden further develops his series to paint Genghis and his followers in a mixed light - with the capability of greatness and destruction at the same time. Where the first two works painted Genghis' exploits as against a heavily armed and repressive enemy, this work instead shows how the Mongol Empire evolved into a destructive and terrifying force in its own right. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
The third book in the Conqueror series. An older and wiser Genghis Khan has nearly broken the Chin (China) when people to the West in the Persian society of Khorosan refuse to submit. He fights his was through Korea, all the way to the territory of Shah Ala-ud-din Mohammed in central Asia. There Genghis meets his match in the Shah's thousands of warriors and armed elephants.

Genghis is also dealing with the infighting amongst his son's and must make a decision on an heir before his nation is divided into factions. Revenge also burns for the murder of his younger sister until justice is finally served.

A well told conclusion to the series that provides an intriguing insight into the life of this important historical figure. ( )
  boppisces | Aug 31, 2013 |
Can't get enough. ( )
  oliver-kaye | Nov 3, 2011 |
I have read this book out of order. It is the first book of the series that I have read. Having said that the book seems to stand on its own. I would look up the earlier books and read them in order.

The book is focused on sibling rivalry and war. I wish there were more details of the battle scene climaxes. Conin Iggulden does not have Bernard Cornwell's talent of putting the reader in the battle. I wish there was more description of the everyday life of a Mongol warrior. Perhaps it is in the earlier books. I get a sense of the life but I do not get to "smell the grass". If I did these two points the book would be rated a 5 for sure.

It is a pretty good read but not a great read for me...but then I like details. ( )
  Lynxear | Mar 22, 2010 |
The third book in this series does not disappoint. Iggulden takes characters from the pages of history and breathes new life into them. Through his words, we see life for the Mongols as close to how they saw it as we can get. ( )
  ulfhjorr | Mar 8, 2010 |
To my son, Arthur
The fire roared at the center of the circle.

The mighty Mongol conqueror, Genghis Khan, wreaks a path of destruction along China's Great Wall.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,073,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible