The Mind's Eye by Håkan Nesser

The Mind's Eye (1993)

by Håkan Nesser

Series: Inspector Van Veeteren (1)

English (26)  Dutch (4)  Italian (1)  All languages (31)
Excellent Nordic mystery. I thought that it being set in an unnamed country would drive me crazy-not so. I'm going to read the rest in the series... ( )
  erica471 | Jan 5, 2014 |
This Swedish mystery starts well. The victim is dead in a locked bathroom as her husband wakes up with a hangover and no memory of the previous evening. He is the obvious suspect. But the body of the book was too police procedural for my taste. Also, I didn't feel a very strong sense of place. I'll try another by this author since he is highly praised by others before I give up. ( )
  gbelik | Nov 15, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. Great style and even though I had figured out who did it pretty early on - I couldn't figure out how it all went together or if my guess was right because the author kept throwing curveballs out to throw me off the scent. Quite enjoyable - will definately try another in the series. ( )
  stuart10er | Sep 27, 2013 |
Good, although not stellar, mystery novel. I've only read one other book by this popular author (a stand-alone, something set in China) and I wasn't blown away by that one either. That said, this first in the Van Veeteren series is good enough to merit continuing on with the series. Of course, I listened to the audio version narrated by Simon Vance and that probably bumped this from 3 stars up to 4 right there. ;) ( )
  Readers_Respite | Sep 22, 2013 |
In the first of the Van veeteren series, our inspector hunts a killer, who murdered a woman and after the husband has been convicted for it, he kills him too... The trails leads the inspector to the past filled with secrets..... ( )
  TheCrow2 | Apr 1, 2013 |

Håkan Nesserprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Luijten, ClementineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
När vi äntligen hittar det vi letat efter i mörkret, upptäcker vi nästan alltid, att det var just vad det var. Mörker. C.G. Reinhart, kriminalintendent
He woke up and was unable to remember his name.

International Bestseller

Håkan Nesser is firmly established as one of the world's bestselling crime novelists. And now the novel that introduced Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is available for the first time in English.

The swift conviction left Van Veeteren uneasy: Janek Mitter woke one morning with a brutal hangover and his wife dead in the bathtub. With only the flimsiest defense, he is found guilty and imprisoned in a mental institution. But when Mitter is murdered in his bed, Van Veeteren regrets not following his gut and launches an investigation into the two murders. As the chief inspector delves deeper, the twisted root of these violent murders will shock even him.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:06 -0400)

When Janek Mitter wakes up from a night of too much alcohol and sex, he must break into the locked bathroom, where he finds his wife dead in the bathtub. Suffering from amnesia as a result of his drinking, he falls into a lethargic state that lasts throughout his murder trial, conviction, and imprisonment in a mental hospital. Detective Chief Inspector Van Veeteren launches a new investigation when Mitter is murdered.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,324,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible