The Mind's Eye by Håkan Nesser

The Mind's Eye (1993)

by Håkan Nesser

Series: Inspector Van Veeteren (1)

Recently added byrena75, lelapin7, Gulachen, Ely.sium, private library

English (31)  Dutch (5)  Italian (1)  All languages (37)
The Mind’s Eye by Hakan Nesser is the first in this author’s series about Swedish Chief Inspector Van Veeteren and his team and unfortunately I was rather disappointed with this book. I have been assured that the next book is much better which is a relief as I have it on my shelves. As this book won the 1993 Swedish Crime Writers Academy Prize, I am wondering whether my disconnect was because of the writer’s style or if the translation was the problem but the book felt very segmented, uneven and remote.

One thing I do take away from this book is that I believe I am going to like getting to know Inspector Van Veeteren. He is grumpy, rather depressed and works intuitively much to the chagrin of his team. Personally, I would have liked to have had a little more access to his thought process as this would have connected me to the story. The actual plot felt a little familiar, but the real star of the book was Inspector Van Veeteren, and I look forward to more of his brusque manner and insensitivity.

Although this is the first book in the series, it was not the first book to be translated which leads me to believe it is not considered the strongest of his books. Hopefully that is still in my future. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Oct 15, 2018 |
I am not one for translated stories but gave it a shot because I really liked the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series, however I just couldn't stay with this book. It had a lot of larger words as well as language that was hard for me to follow. I sometimes was lost and felt it was unclear as to which character I was then reading about. I wasn't able to stay focused or really get into the book, I read about 2/3 and couldn't finish it. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Non e' proprio da buttare. Ma la caratterizzazione dei personaggi qui e' decisamente debole, l'ispettore protagonista e soprattutto i comprimari traspaiono troppo poco. Inoltre la prima parte e' una blanda descrizione processuale priva di qualsiasi tipo di elemento investigativo, mentre nella seconda l'assassino e la risoluzione della vicenda viene fuori quasi dal nulla. Vicenda che pero' e' comunque decentemente congegnata.
Potrebbe valere la pena sperare che nella seconda prova dell'autore si possa assistere a qualcosa di piu' solido ed entusiasmante. ( )
  Mlvtrglvn | Jan 5, 2018 |
Detective. Audible. Scandanavian. Not a straightforward path. A bit of back and forth before the path to the killer begins to emerge. Liked it. Pleasant. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
This is the first in the Van Vleeteren series. If I had started here I am not sure that I would be continuing with the series. The set up for this book is very good and I was hooked quickly; but once Van Vleeteren enters (in chapter four) things begin to go a bit downhill. It is difficult to follow what is essentially a police procedural when the lead investigator spends so much time thinking and not telling either his colleagues or us as readers either what he is thinking or what he is talking about. So we get a denouement without really understanding how he/we got there. I have two more books in the series to hand; whether I continue beyond them remains to be seen. ( )
  johnwbeha | Dec 10, 2015 |

Håkan Nesserprimary authorall editionscalculated
Luijten, ClementineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When we finally find what we have been looking for in the darkness, we nearly always discover that it was exactly that.
Darkness.

— C.G. Reinhart, police officer
He woke up and was unable to remember his name.

International Bestseller

Håkan Nesser is firmly established as one of the world's bestselling crime novelists. And now the novel that introduced Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is available for the first time in English.

The swift conviction left Van Veeteren uneasy: Janek Mitter woke one morning with a brutal hangover and his wife dead in the bathtub. With only the flimsiest defense, he is found guilty and imprisoned in a mental institution. But when Mitter is murdered in his bed, Van Veeteren regrets not following his gut and launches an investigation into the two murders. As the chief inspector delves deeper, the twisted root of these violent murders will shock even him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:48 -0400)

When Janek Mitter wakes up from a night of too much alcohol and sex, he must break into the locked bathroom, where he finds his wife dead in the bathtub. Suffering from amnesia as a result of his drinking, he falls into a lethargic state that lasts throughout his murder trial, conviction, and imprisonment in a mental hospital. Detective Chief Inspector Van Veeteren launches a new investigation when Mitter is murdered.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,621,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible