The Library by Sarah Stewart

The Library (1995)

by Sarah Stewart

Other authors: David Small (Illustrator)

919409,547 (4.22)34

It is a great realistic fiction book in watercolor because it tells a story which could happen in our daily life and it will effect children. From the beginning the girl is an avid reader. With her constant companions at her side (a stuffed teddy bear and a continually serene housecat) we watch as Elizabeth Brown goes to school and breaks her own bunk bed with the weight of her books. She lends them to friends and eschews the lure of the opposite sex. Older still, she starts tutoring and lives on her own, reading all the while. Then one day there’s no denying it any longer. There are just too many books in the house. Without further ado her house becomes a library and she moves in with a female friend. To the end of their days they continue to read, ‘And turned page… after page… after page’. ( )
  SSilvia | Apr 10, 2017 |
Read this book in about 30 seconds... What a charming, lovely book. Written in verse, it's about a child who loves books and accumulates so many that her entire house is full of books! At the end she makes the perfect decision as to what to do w/them all. The illustrations are beautiful, w/whimsical cats here and there, running away from piles of falling books and such. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
The Library is simply delightful. Written by Sarah Stewart and illustrated by David Small, it tells the story of a little girl named Elizabeth Brown who was unlike everyone else her age. She was more interested in reading than going to parties. She was fascinated by books instead of boys. She'd prefer to curl up in a big armchair and immerse herself in other worlds than venture into the out-of-doors. In short, this book speaks to the bookworm in all of us. The story combined with the beautiful illustrations make this a picture book must for all ages. It reminds us that it is perfectly okay to be exactly who you are even if others don't quite understand. If you have a passion, then BE PASSIONATE. Elizabeth loves books to such an extent that they eventually overtake her home but rather than make it one of those "well what did you expect" moments that would heap shame on the character the creators of this book applaud her in an absolutely lovely way. (I don't want to spoil it.) I really can't recommend this one highly enough. It didn't receive the title of Outstanding Book of the year in 1995 for nothing. ;-) The title of this post says it all. I felt a connection to this book. I'm sure I wasn't the only one and I think that for children especially it sends a really great message. 10/10

AN: For kicks and giggles, I went onto Amazon to read some of the reviews for this book and started at the 2-star reviews (there were three of them). Two of them mentioned the end result of Elizabeth's life as being quite sad but funnily enough it was my favorite part. If you have read or read this book as a result of my post please comment below with your opinion of it. I'd love to hear from you! :-) ( )
  AliceaP | Oct 7, 2016 |
illustrated by David Small (Children’s picture book, Bibliophilic)

Elizabeth Brown loves to read and leaves her home as a library for the town. A charming story and delightful illustrations.

Read this if: you love books; or want to engender a love of books in a little person. 5 stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Jul 1, 2016 |
Absolutely in love with this. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |

Sarah Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Small, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To the memory of the real Mary Elizabeth Brown
Librarian, Reader, Friend
1920 - 1991
Elizabeth Brown
Entered the world
Dropping straight down from the sky.

Elizabeth Brown
Where will you put all your books?
Share them all with us!
(SylviaC)

Meet an unforgettable bibliophile

Elizabeth Brown doesn't like to play with dolls and she doesnt like to skate. What she does like to do is read books. Lots of books. The only problem is that her library has gotten so big she can't even use her front door anymore. What should Elizabeth Brown do? Start her own public library, of course! With charming verse and watercolors Sarah Stewart and David Small celebrate one of America's oldest and finest institutions.

The Library is a 1995 New York Times Book Review Notable Children's Book of the Year and Outstanding Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Elizabeth Brown loves to read more than anything else, but when her collection of books grows and grows, she must make a change in her life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,468,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible