The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

The Looking Glass Wars (edition 2007)

by Frank Beddor

3,3131761,642 (3.74)1 / 236
Member:vkhowll
Title:The Looking Glass Wars
Authors:Frank Beddor
Info:Speak (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (joyfulgirl, Kerian, elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (kaledrina)
    Wicked by Gregory Maguire (joyfulgirl)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A slightly twisted version of Alice in Wonderland, perhaps even more off beat than the Tim Burton movie version.
    Automated Alice by Jeff Noon (madmarch)
    madmarch: Surreal and whimsical, this is a must for all Alice fans!

I'm still not sure how I feel about this book, I will be reading the next one for a book challenge but I can't pinpoint love or hate. I think this was an interesting take on the classic tale of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Beddor quickly tells the reader how classic characters are transformed to tell this new story of what happened in Wonderland. I think that for what it is the story line works. The real Alyss of Wonderland after a war with her aunt Redd is forced to escape and ends up in reality-- England, where she lives and tells get tale to 'Lewis Carroll' who writes the wrong story, the book. Covers Alyss' return to take on her evil aunt Redd.

I think the ending needed more work, but it is also a lead up to the next book. I look forward to seeing where it goes from here. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
I don't remember much about it, but I really liked his series when I was 8 or 9. ( )
  katcoviello | Sep 21, 2016 |
Cards which come to life as killer war machines, the epic battle between white and black imagination and a Hatter wielding wrist blades. Daring feats of Combine all these elements and you have touched the tip of the ice burg. The Looking Glass Wars was a very easy, quick paced lightning read filled with plenty of gimmicks to entertain, character development to satisfy and action to root for. What Wicked did for expanding the world OZ, TLGW broadens the Wonderland spectrum to fantastical edges not even Tim Burton's version attempted. Here is Alice's world turned up on its head with perhaps my favorite opening scene. Where the young Victorian Era Alice finds out that Lewis Carroll has turned her true, real life story into nothing better than a mushroom induced nursery rhyme. Alice couldn't be more hilariously angry and it is with this introduction the reader realizes just how grand the scope of the world Beddor has created intends. Without betraying plot points, trust that you will find a mad Heart Queen spouting plenty of "Off with their head's!" and a Cheshire Cat with some mad kung-fu skills. Of all the new characters Dodge Anders is delightful in his single-minded hellion purpose of revenge and it'll be curious to see if "Alyss" manages to crack his code later on.
With enough zanity to ensure you're reading about Wonderland and enough heart to trump the House of Hearts, The Looking Glass Wars is an imaginative new addition that might one day be considered a classic. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
As a hardcore Alice in Wonderland fan, this was irresistible: A little bit historical fiction, a lot of fantasy, even a touch of steampunk, it's the story of the "real" Alice in Wonderland. Unfortunately, it's pretty sketchy: A lot of ideas; but not nearly as well fleshed out as you might want it to be; and not nearly as dark or rich as say, Gregor the Overlander (by Suzanne Collins (a series about a boy who ends up having adventures in the subterranean world beneath his apartment complex.) 'The Looking Glass Wars' is geared for MG readers, and it doesn't really travel very well up the age groups. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Aug 21, 2016 |
I really liked this book. I found the first book in my library's book shop for 1$ and bought it. It was amazing. It took the story of Alice In Wonderland and made it MORE AWESOME. How is this possible? Read the friggin' book. ( )
  oxlabyrinthxo | Jul 10, 2016 |

Flora, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my niece

Sarah

for her sense of wonder
Everyone thought she had made it up, and she had tolerated more taunting and teasing from other children, more lectures and punishments from grown-ups, than any eleven-year-old should have to bear.

The Myth: Alice was an ordinary girl who stepped through the looking glass and entered a fairy-tale world invented by Lewis Carroll in his famous storybook. The Truth: Wonderland is real. Alyss Heart is the heir to the throne, until her murderous aunt Redd steals the crown and kills Alyss? parents. To escape Redd, Alyss and her bodyguard, Hatter Madigan, must flee to our world through the Pool of Tears. But in the pool Alyss and Hatter are separated. Lost and alone in Victorian London, Alyss is befriended by an aspiring author to whom she tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Yet he gets the story all wrong. Hatter Madigan knows the truth only too well, and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:12 -0400)

When her evil aunt Redd kills her parents and seizes the throne, young Alyss Heart is forced to flee Wonderland through the Pool of Tears. She finds herself living in Victorian Oxford as Alice Liddell and struggles to keep memories of her kingdom intact until she can return and claim her rightful throne.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,187,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible