The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

The Looking Glass Wars (edition 2007)

by Frank Beddor

3,0781641,844 (3.76)1 / 234
Member:vkhowll
Title:The Looking Glass Wars
Authors:Frank Beddor
Info:Speak (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (joyfulgirl, Kerian, elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (kaledrina)
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (joyfulgirl)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A slightly twisted version of Alice in Wonderland, perhaps even more off beat than the Tim Burton movie version.
    Automated Alice by Jeff Noon (madmarch)
    madmarch: Surreal and whimsical, this is a must for all Alice fans!

What if Alice really was a native of Wonderland, and Lewis Carroll simply messed up the story? This was a good one. I loved the little changes from the original story, like the Hatter as a fearsome bodyguard and the looking glass as a network of portals. There's some vivid imagery and memorable characters, and I will definitely be picking up the rest of this trilogy. ( )
  melydia | Aug 18, 2015 |
It has been a very long time since I've sat down and read a thicker sized book with such intensity in such a short amount of time. It's been even longer that I've gone to bed thinking about the book and ended up dreaming about it.

These things are all good when it comes to books, for me. It means I was engrossed by it's story and liked the characters enough.

When I was a kid, there were two things that I really loved - The Wizard of Oz, and Alice in Wonderland. Sure, I liked lots of other things too, but those two have stuck with me and I haven't out grown them.

Alice in Wonderland is an amazing story and it's one that I don't mind having interpreted and re-done. There are so many fans of Alice in Wonderland that call themselves true to the story and thus hate interpretations like The Looking Glass Wars. I hardly find them true to the story then, because you have to have an imagination to like the story and that imagination can't be limited to keeping the story pure. That imagination can't be limited to shunning the creative works of other people.

That being said, I loved The Looking Glass Wars. The world was so intriguing, the characters so wonderful, and the story line so ingenious. The thing I love the most, were the little pieces of the story. The little things that were great interpretations of modern ideas or things from the original Alice in Wonderland.

Alyss Heart was the daughter of Queen Genevieve who ruled Wonderland at the beginning of the novel. Here we see the picture of the White Queen. Genevieve's sister, Redd, being the Red Queen. The chessmen and the cards are even the same to each side, mainly. Hatter Madigan, and obvious spin off of The Mad Hatter, was a very interesting character. Stoic in nature, I found him to be on of my favourites. His duty only is what kept the whole story going. In the end, I felt that he should have had more recognition, because without him there would be now Queen Alyss. There would only be Queen Redd which would have made for a rather boring book!

Now, for the vengeful and handsome, Dodge Anders. He was a royal bodyguard in the palace and star crossed lover to Alyss before the world was destroyed. Then he became the scarred vigilante, and begged the heart of every reader. Who didn't feel for the man? Of course, I was so eagerly awaiting Alyss' and his eventual relationship, but I'll have to wait for the sequel to see it.

As a whole, I loved the story. Yes, it had some downfalls, but nothing worth mentioning. It's a great book for fans of Alice or not, but only for those with a vivid imagination. You can even lend it to your Puritan friend to read and there shouldn't be any harm.(I have one of those friends...she refused to read The Iron King, so that should tell you how clean I remember this book to be.) Now, why are you still here reading this? You should be off reading the book now. ;] ( )
  SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |
Sadly, this one didn't click with me, and I am letting it go, unfinished, to find a new reader.
  bookczuk | Mar 23, 2015 |
This a great twist on Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland!" It is the darker tale of what really happened in Wonderland. It is full of danger, excitement, and even romance. It is a great read! ( )
  owinhofer | Nov 3, 2014 |
The Looking Glass Wars rediscovers the truth of Alice in Wonderland. The story that we know is quite different from the truth and Frank Beddor does an excellent job of telling that story. A captivating story I highly recommend. ( )
  shannanwithana | Oct 26, 2014 |

Flora, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my niece

Sarah

for her sense of wonder
Everyone thought she had made it up, and she had tolerated more taunting and teasing from other children, more lectures and punishments from grown-ups, than any eleven-year-old should have to bear.

The Myth: Alice was an ordinary girl who stepped through the looking glass and entered a fairy-tale world invented by Lewis Carroll in his famous storybook. The Truth: Wonderland is real. Alyss Heart is the heir to the throne, until her murderous aunt Redd steals the crown and kills Alyss? parents. To escape Redd, Alyss and her bodyguard, Hatter Madigan, must flee to our world through the Pool of Tears. But in the pool Alyss and Hatter are separated. Lost and alone in Victorian London, Alyss is befriended by an aspiring author to whom she tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Yet he gets the story all wrong. Hatter Madigan knows the truth only too well, and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:12 -0400)

When her evil aunt Redd kills her parents and seizes the throne, young Alyss Heart is forced to flee Wonderland through the Pool of Tears. She finds herself living in Victorian Oxford as Alice Liddell and struggles to keep memories of her kingdom intact until she can return and claim her rightful throne.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,019,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible