The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

The Looking Glass Wars (edition 2007)

by Frank Beddor

3,2641721,691 (3.75)1 / 236
Member:vkhowll
Title:The Looking Glass Wars
Authors:Frank Beddor
Info:Speak (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (joyfulgirl, Kerian, elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (kaledrina)
    Wicked by Gregory Maguire (joyfulgirl)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A slightly twisted version of Alice in Wonderland, perhaps even more off beat than the Tim Burton movie version.
    Automated Alice by Jeff Noon (madmarch)
    madmarch: Surreal and whimsical, this is a must for all Alice fans!

I really liked this book. I found the first book in my library's book shop for 1$ and bought it. It was amazing. It took the story of Alice In Wonderland and made it MORE AWESOME. How is this possible? Read the friggin' book. ( )
  oxlabyrinthxo | Jul 10, 2016 |
Was an okay book. ( )
  Arkrayder | Apr 22, 2016 |
I love this re-telling of the Wonderland story. Alyce is a spoiled princess when we first meet her. Her mother is the queen of Wonderlandia, a place when imagination is basically magic. And just like magic there is white imagination (good and productive) and black imagination (bad and destructive.) White imagination rules the land since the elder sister of the queen, Redd, was banished. New and inventive creations are paraded through the streets and some are chosen to be sent into the Heart Crystal into the other realms (including earth.) Redd comes out of hiding with her army of card soldiers and her personal assassin, the Cat, and suddenly Alyce is on the run falling through the pool of tears into our world. ( )
  Rosenectur | Mar 19, 2016 |
Took me half a day to finish - it's that good! I liked this one even more than the Twilight series. It offers a unique take on an old classic ( )
  tmscott13 | Jan 23, 2016 |
I so very, very much wanted to love this book. I adore the Alice franchise, and I'm not a crazed fanatic of the exact words and chaos that comes from Carroll's tale as I am the possibilities it holds. I was thrilled when I discovered The Looking Glass Wars at my local Borders, and even more so thrilled when I learned that it wasn't a stand-alone book. I have seen more versions of Alice in Wonderland than I can count on one hand, and I even tend to enjoy the ones that impose a plot upon Alice's adventures.

This said, I had unfairly high hopes for Beddor's story. I will not lie and say it was an awful book, but nor will I give it more praise than it rightfully deserves. There were some moments in it that I loved. For example, the Inventor's Parade was a splendid idea (I particularly enjoyed the timeline at the end of the book which meshed real world events with those in Wonderland). There were things about Hatter Madigan I greatly enjoyed, and Alice as a child was delightful.

Then there were the things that were simply bad writing - rushing through scenes, Alice's transport back to Wonderland was far too quick a transition and completely unbelievable, even in a Wonderland-context. Sometimes the odds were far too impossible for Beddor's final conclusions to even be reached. Now, I know that attempting to look at Wonderland with a logical eye may seem foolish, but it isn't a matter of logic verses suspension of disbelief. It was simply bad writing, as though the author got bored and decided to simply skip to the point.

I give Beddor three stars, because the book was full of potential. Some of his ideas were nothing short of brilliant. On the other hand, though, I didn't see any characters that didn't appear in the Disney adaptation of the story save for the chessmen, which makes me wonder how much time Beddor spent with Carroll verses how much time he spent with media interpretations of Carroll. Nonetheless, The Looking Glass Wars is a worthy read for anyone interested in fairytales, in reflections of Lewis Carroll's work, or in a quick story that doesn't have too stringent of a plotline. Perhaps even a fan of steampunk fantasy would enjoy this, based on aspects like the Millinery and the Glass Eyes and other aspects like that. However, die-hard Carroll fans, stay away! This will only serve to enrage you. ( )
  Morteana | Jan 18, 2016 |

Flora, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my niece

Sarah

for her sense of wonder
Everyone thought she had made it up, and she had tolerated more taunting and teasing from other children, more lectures and punishments from grown-ups, than any eleven-year-old should have to bear.

The Myth: Alice was an ordinary girl who stepped through the looking glass and entered a fairy-tale world invented by Lewis Carroll in his famous storybook. The Truth: Wonderland is real. Alyss Heart is the heir to the throne, until her murderous aunt Redd steals the crown and kills Alyss? parents. To escape Redd, Alyss and her bodyguard, Hatter Madigan, must flee to our world through the Pool of Tears. But in the pool Alyss and Hatter are separated. Lost and alone in Victorian London, Alyss is befriended by an aspiring author to whom she tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Yet he gets the story all wrong. Hatter Madigan knows the truth only too well, and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:12 -0400)

When her evil aunt Redd kills her parents and seizes the throne, young Alyss Heart is forced to flee Wonderland through the Pool of Tears. She finds herself living in Victorian Oxford as Alice Liddell and struggles to keep memories of her kingdom intact until she can return and claim her rightful throne.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,506,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible