The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

The Looking Glass Wars (edition 2007)

by Frank Beddor

2,944None1,949 (3.76)1 / 230
Member:vkhowll
Title:The Looking Glass Wars
Authors:Frank Beddor
Info:Speak (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

adventure (48) Alice (38) Alice in Wonderland (152) children's (20) England (22) fairy tales (24) fairy tales retold (15) fantasy (561) fiction (259) Frank Beddor (20) hardcover (15) imagination (22) Lewis Carroll (16) Looking Glass Wars (69) magic (47) own (26) read (38) retelling (52) science fiction (25) series (63) sff (24) signed (16) teen (32) to-read (68) unread (27) war (34) wonderland (58) YA (128) young adult (169) young adult fiction (30)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (joyfulgirl, Kerian, elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (joyfulgirl)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (kaledrina)
    Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A slightly twisted version of Alice in Wonderland, perhaps even more off beat than the Tim Burton movie version.
    Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Automated Alice by Jeff Noon (madmarch)
    madmarch: Surreal and whimsical, this is a must for all Alice fans!

An amazing and highly imaginative retelling of Alice in Wonderland. Filled with all the things Lewis got right and everything he thought the public wasn't ready for. The things he changed were really just as strange as the reality of Wonderland. The plot is exciting and fast, a pell mell rush to defeat the queen. I read the whole thing in about two days. I hope the next two books are just as good. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 7, 2014 |
I listened to this on audio tape during a 7 hour drive. I loved it. The twist on a childhood favorite was brilliant. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
This is a book that is based on Lewis Carroll's classics 'Alice in Wonderland' and 'Through the Looking Glass'; these I read last year and absolutely loved. 'The Looking Glass Wars' tells the story of Alyss, heir to the throne of Wonderland, who flees to our world when her parents are murdered but must return to save her lands seventeen years later.

I would say that although it definitely involves aspects of the classic stories, the world that Beddor creates is much more original and in-depth than I expected it to be. Being a huge fan of the original books, as well as the Disney film version and also the Time Burton film, I have to say that I was a bit skeptical at first about someone daring to tackle such a reknowned and loved classic tale, but having read this adaptation, I would say that this book would be great for Alice fans and non-fans alike.

Honestly, this book reads a lot like a film. The way things are described to such great lengths and the extent to which the action plays out really makes it come to life. Despite really enjoying this book, I have to admit that there were some points that I found irritating. The ending, although it fit the book well, was slightly annoying (for reasons I won't give.....spoilers!) but I think that this may be because Beddor has tried to keep it a bit open-ended so that it could flow into the next instalment in the trilogy. Also, I found some of the side characters to be a bit flat, but despite this, others were extremely well developed and through the descriptions and actions, they were brought to life on the page. I particularly like Hatter Madigan who was one of the most interesting takes on the original characters that I read in this book.

I think that Frank Beddor really brought Alice in Wonderland into the 21st century in this novel, adding more machinary elements and more of a subdued, yet still surreal, take on the world of Wonderland. Although you can't get away from the fact that this was obviously based on Carroll's works, I urge readers to not read this as a retelling, but as a book in its own right, as I believe that it is, in a lot of ways, entirely different. Having said that, I really enjoyed reading this and noticing little details that had been expanded on from the original stories.

I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars but would definitely recommend this to everyone, from teenages to adults, whether you like the original Lewis Carroll books or not. I found it intelligently written and witty, whilst being action-packed and, at some points, extremely heart-felt. A must-read! ( )
  charlottejones952 | Sep 2, 2013 |
This book was.. Amazing. I've also read the original Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and I have to say... I like this version much more. ;) ( )
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |

Flora, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my niece

Sarah

for her sense of wonder
Everyone thought she had made it up, and she had tolerated more taunting and teasing from other children, more lectures and punishments from grown-ups, than any eleven-year-old should have to bear.

The Myth: Alice was an ordinary girl who stepped through the looking glass and entered a fairy-tale world invented by Lewis Carroll in his famous storybook. The Truth: Wonderland is real. Alyss Heart is the heir to the throne, until her murderous aunt Redd steals the crown and kills Alyss? parents. To escape Redd, Alyss and her bodyguard, Hatter Madigan, must flee to our world through the Pool of Tears. But in the pool Alyss and Hatter are separated. Lost and alone in Victorian London, Alyss is befriended by an aspiring author to whom she tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Yet he gets the story all wrong. Hatter Madigan knows the truth only too well, and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

When her evil aunt Redd kills her parents and seizes the throne, young Alyss Heart is forced to flee Wonderland through the Pool of Tears. She finds herself living in Victorian Oxford as Alice Liddell and struggles to keep memories of her kingdom intact until she can return and claim her rightful throne.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,507,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible