The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

The Looking Glass Wars (edition 2007)

by Frank Beddor

3,6351772,076 (3.74)1 / 241
Member:wonderlandchick
Title:The Looking Glass Wars
Authors:Frank Beddor
Info:Speak (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Recently added byrena75, honzuki, nluoma, ErinDarby, private library, Scheherazade1001, over.the.edge, PWPlove
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (joyfulgirl, Kerian, elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (kaledrina)
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (joyfulgirl)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    Heartless by Marissa Meyer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A slightly twisted version of Alice in Wonderland, perhaps even more off beat than the Tim Burton movie version.
    Automated Alice by Jeff Noon (madmarch)
    madmarch: Surreal and whimsical, this is a must for all Alice fans!

So much potential...missed. ( )
  SadieBabie | Jun 23, 2018 |
I enjoyed it quite a bit. I wish the Looking Glass Maze bit was longer. The author did not develop that section enough in my opinion. But overall, I enjoyed the retelling and the world building. Redd's character was under developed but maybe will learn more in the sequel. ( )
  BefuddledPanda | Dec 4, 2017 |
Since I have that niggling obsession with all things Wonderland, I knew that I'd end up reading this series sooner or later. There was some good groundwork here, and some good integration of ideas, concepts, and facts from/about the original/real Alice in Wonderland, but the characters just fell really, REALLY flat for me. Many of the new ideas generated that were NOT a part of the original Alice in Wonderland were just lame sounding, like the AD52 (Auto-Dealer 52), which is an automatic "gun" that shoots 52 razor-sharp cards per second. Come on. COME ON. Really? Ugh. *sigh*

Also, Alyss starts out at this bratty, spoiled little girl which, ok, she's 7, I can accept that. That leaves lots of room for growth. Through the book she ages so we finally follow her at about age 20 or 21. I felt that the development of her character could have (and really SHOULD HAVE) been better explained, rather than just being "Traumatic event! Flip a switch! Complete character change!"

I'll probably get the rest of the books in this series on CD so I can listen to them at work, because they definitely don't take a lot of brain power to follow. There were times where I picked the book back up, sighing and saying "I suppose I'd better finish this thing." That's really not the emotion a good book inspires, so I have to give this 3 of 5 stars. ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
an alternate take" on Alice in Wonderland. Alyss is a young princess in Wonderland. Her parents, the King and Queen, are deposed by Alyss's Aunt Redd. Alyss escapes to our world, lives there for 13years, and then comes back and rescues Wonderland. Twists Alice in Wonderland into something completely different. A very cool idea. However, this book is a bit shallow. It was like looking at snapshots. Alyss at 7, Alyss at 14, Alyss at 20. No character development, even though Beddor does "try". It comes up VERY lacking when compared to the original, which is to bad. I think that a younger, less experienced mind would appreciate this story more. Wouldn't recommend this to anyone, too much glitter and glazz without the substance to make the g&g palatable." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I'm still not sure how I feel about this book, I will be reading the next one for a book challenge but I can't pinpoint love or hate. I think this was an interesting take on the classic tale of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Beddor quickly tells the reader how classic characters are transformed to tell this new story of what happened in Wonderland. I think that for what it is the story line works. The real Alyss of Wonderland after a war with her aunt Redd is forced to escape and ends up in reality-- England, where she lives and tells get tale to 'Lewis Carroll' who writes the wrong story, the book. Covers Alyss' return to take on her evil aunt Redd.

I think the ending needed more work, but it is also a lead up to the next book. I look forward to seeing where it goes from here. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |

Flora, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my niece

Sarah

for her sense of wonder
Everyone thought she had made it up, and she had tolerated more taunting and teasing from other children, more lectures and punishments from grown-ups, than any eleven-year-old should have to bear.

The Myth: Alice was an ordinary girl who stepped through the looking glass and entered a fairy-tale world invented by Lewis Carroll in his famous storybook. The Truth: Wonderland is real. Alyss Heart is the heir to the throne, until her murderous aunt Redd steals the crown and kills Alyss? parents. To escape Redd, Alyss and her bodyguard, Hatter Madigan, must flee to our world through the Pool of Tears. But in the pool Alyss and Hatter are separated. Lost and alone in Victorian London, Alyss is befriended by an aspiring author to whom she tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Yet he gets the story all wrong. Hatter Madigan knows the truth only too well, and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:12 -0400)

When her evil aunt Redd kills her parents and seizes the throne, young Alyss Heart is forced to flee Wonderland through the Pool of Tears. She finds herself living in Victorian Oxford as Alice Liddell and struggles to keep memories of her kingdom intact until she can return and claim her rightful throne.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,003,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible