Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by…

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Fielding Helen

Member:mariejelis
Title:Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
Authors:Fielding Helen
Info:Picador (1999), Hardcover, 422 pages

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (1999)

Persuasion by Jane Austen (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
    Stately Pursuits by Katie Fforde (ashleylauren)
    Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro (ashleylauren)

English (91)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (96)
I loved Bridget Jones's Diary so much when I read it back in the 90s (before the movie). When Bridget Jones: the Edge of Reason was released though, I wasn't interested. I've been burned by low quality sequels in the past and just couldn't stand to read this book and be disappointed. About ten years ago a friend gave me a copy and told me it was pretty good. I didn't want to take the risk and so it sat in my basement without any thought of me ever reading it. In the meantime, the movie version of The Edge of Reason came out and it was the debacle that I expected. Although it was great to see all those lovely characters again, it was just embarrassing watching them try to make a film out of that script. My shunning of this novel was justified. Or so I thought.

After my recent reread of [Bridget Jones's Diary] I thought that maybe I should give this a try. Thankfully, it's very different from the film version. Maybe it was my low expectations, but I found it delightful. In some ways I think it was better, in a literary sense, than the original. Bridget shows more character growth by the end, and there is some clever use of the Kipling poem "If". At first I was greatly frustrated by her friends sabatoging of Bridget's relationship with Mark Darcy, but as events unfolded, they redeemed themselves. Sure, Bridget really needs to toss the self help books and actually TALK to Mark (and he to her), but then there wouldn't be a story. And there were lots of laugh out loud moments. Including the scene where Bridget gets to interview Colin Firth (which unfortunately they couldn't possibly put in the movie--but they did film a version of it as an extra. Go to YouTube and search "Bridget Jones interviews Colin Firth").

In the film version, Bridget is uncomfortably cringe inducing, and I can't figure out why Mark sees anything in her whatsoever. In the book version, you see her insecurities and vulnerabilities and also see more of what he is dealing with, and they actually seem like two people that you want to cheer for. As with the first book, Bridget Jones is more relatable than in the film where she's too over the top.

I read 7/8s of this in one sitting, which is almost unheard of for me, and it was a luxury I fully enjoyed.

Recommended for: literary snobs with no sense of humour should stay away from this. ( )
2 vote Nickelini | Feb 17, 2015 |
This book just wasn't as funny as I remember the first book. Is it the book? Or has my sense of humor really changed that much over the past 10 years? ( )
  megansbooklist | Nov 30, 2014 |
Cute. ( )
  jkgrage | Nov 24, 2014 |
At the beginning of Bridget Jones: the Edge of Reason, Bridget has been going out with Mark Darcy for four weeks, and she is getting used to being part of a couple. Enters Rebecca, a beautiful, successful and rich colleague of Mark who is determined to steal Bridget’s boyfriend. Seeking advice from her friends and her self-help books, Bridget becomes convinced that Mark has a lot more in common with Rebecca than with her, and she breaks it off with him. To make matters worse, her job is going nowhere thanks to her crazy, erratic boss, a renovation project in her apartment has gone horribly wrong, and her father has become an alcoholic.

While I enjoyed parts of the book, I believe that the Bridget Jones series has lost some of its appeal. Is it because I am older than the first time I read it? After all, I am married with one kid, while I was single when I first laid my hands on the books. Or is it because the series hasn’t aged well? And am I the only one who thinks that it was a little creepy that Mark was always lurking around her apartment (when she was babysitting Magda’s kids, or when she was looking for Tom’s cellphone, for example)? Luckily, there are some great comic scenes which redeem the book, such as Bridget’s interview with Colin Firth, or how she passes the time while in a Thailand prison. I wonder if the last book in the series, Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy, will be better though… I guess there is only one way to find out: I will need to read it.

To read the full review, please go to my blog (Cecile Sune - Book Obsessed). ( )
  cecile.sune | Apr 3, 2014 |
I tried... but the diary format drove me nuts. Maybe another time. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 8, 2014 |

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the other Bridgets
Monday 27 January
129 lbs. (total fat groove), boyfriends 1 (hurrah!), shags 3 (hurrah!), calories 2,100, calories used up by shags 600, so total calories 1,500 (exemplary).

The Wilderness Years are over! But not for long. At the end of Bridget Jone's Diary, Bridget hiccuped off into the sunset with man-of-her-dreams Mark Darcy. Now, in The Edge of Reason, she discovers what it is like when you have the man of your dreams actually in your flat and he hasn't done the washing up, not just the whole of this week, but ever.

Lurching through a morass of self-help-book theories and mad advice from Jude and Shazzer, struggling with a boyfriend-stealing ex-friend with thighs like a baby giraffe, an 8ft hole in the living-room wall, a mother obsessed with boiled-egg peelers, and a builder obsessed with large reservior fish, Bridget embarks on a spiritual epiphany, which takes her from the cappuccino queues of Notting Hill to the palm- and magic-mushroom-kissed shores of...

Bridget is back. V.g.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140298479, Paperback)

Fans of Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones's Diary will recall that at the end of that sly and funny version of Pride and Prejudice, singleton heroine Bridget landed her Mr. Darcy at last--Mark Darcy, that is. Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason picks up four weeks later, and already the honeymoon is over. In addition to discovering that the man of her dreams votes conservative, left-leaning Bridget is also feeling just a mite uncomfortable with the realities of sharing bed and board with another person:
V. complicated actually having man in house as cannot freely spend requisite amount of time in bathroom or turn into gas chamber as conscious of other person late for work, desperate for pee etc.; also disturbed by Mark folding up underpants at night, rendering it strangely embarrassing now simply to keep all own clothes in pile on floor.
But all of these problems pale to insignificance with the arrival on the scene of Rebecca, a beautiful, man-hunting arch-nemesis with "thighs like a baby giraffe" and absolutely no girlfriend code of ethics when it comes to poaching another woman's man. Before long, Rebecca's manipulations, Bridget's own insecurities, and a string of misunderstandings (starting with a naked Filipino boy in Mark Darcy's bed and ending with a suggestive valentine from Bridget's dry cleaner) result in "128 lbs. (good), alcohol units 0 (excellent), cigarettes 5 (a pleasant, healthy number), no. times driven past Mark Darcy's house 2 (v.g.), no. of times looked up Mark Darcy's name in phone book to prove still exists 18 (v.g.), 1471 calls 12 (better), no. of phone calls from Mark 0 (tragic).

Fortunately, Bridget has plenty of other problems to distract her. Her mother has returned from a trip to Kenya with a young Masai in tow--to her father's consternation; her best friends Jude, Shazzer, and Tom are all trapped in dating hell themselves; her apartment is in shambles thanks to a dotty carpenter; an unreliable ex-boyfriend has just reentered her life; and now someone is sending Bridget death threats--could it be Mark Darcy? If Bridget Jones's Diary was a modern riff on Pride and Prejudice, its sequel borrows several themes and devices (not to mention a section heading) from another Austen novel, Persuasion. And as in Austen's fiction, here the journey is the destination. A happy ending for Bridget and her pals is a foregone conclusion; how they get there, however, will have you on the edge of your chair--if you haven't already fallen off of it laughing. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

"Lurching from the cappuccino bars of Notting Hill to the blissed-out shores of Thailand, Bridget Jones searches for The Truth in spite of pathetically unevolved men, insane dating theories, and Smug Married advice...." From the bookjacket.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,229,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible