The New Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classical…

The New Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classical Guide to World Literature,…

by Clifton Fadiman, John S. Major (Author)

921914,432 (4.09)50

I am a dedicated reader of the NLRP for 25 years now. Love it, making progress, continuously consulting it.
  jburg | Aug 15, 2015 |
I have a "reading challenge" I've been working on for 22 years or so. It's the "Lifetime Reading Plan" compiled by scholar and author Clifton Fadiman. He wrote a book of that title around thirty years ago that's been revised a couple of times. It's kind of the original "Beowulf on the Beach", in that it takes over 100 authors who have contributed great writings over the past 3000 years or so, gives a profile, defines the flavor, and gives a rationale is to why it would behoove you to read it. This journey has benefited me over and above any formal education that I have received, and I'd advocate anyone else to take this journey. ( )
2 vote EricKibler | Apr 6, 2013 |
Jim (among others) swears by this book and he seems like a pretty sharp guy, so...okay fine, I'll get the thing.
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
Not quite what I was expecting but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Think of all those terrible 101 books you have to read in your life that you've seen. The boring mundane lists of classics no one wants to read or have heard you should read but don't want to tackle. But now take it to the next level with two intellectuals whose writing is just plain captivating to give not only a synopsis of specific author's literature but recommendations of how to read them, think about them, ingest them, or even view them. Each of the authors writes not purely academically but light heartedly with a sense of bookish humor that will have you mesmerized. Each little section talks about an authors life, a little about the era and about which books not to read or are must reads. It starts off chronologically with the story of Gilgamesh and Enkdu all the way to modern literature. I found in greatly enjoyable and informative and have made it a permanent addition to my collection. I got a kick out of learning more about authors I'd already known I'd loved and fell in love with a few more I thought I knew but had all wrong. I love both Clifton Fadiman's writings as well as his daughters Anne Fadiman and would recommend any of their books too - book on book enthusiasts or just plain book enthusiasts ( )
2 vote pagemasterZee | Feb 9, 2013 |
This is an engaging list of time-tested works, the "classics" of East and West. Authors from the southern hemisphere (Latin American and African) are sparse but not completely absent. For 133 authors, short blurbs are provided which describe a bit about the author and the primary recommended work. There is also a list of 100 20th century authors with a short paragraph for each, and this list is of course less canonical than the first, although most of the names will be familiar to many. I'll be the first to admit that many British authors are over-hyped by academia (and I find most tedious), but this global list seems more well-rounded than many I've seen. Books that last are in most cases books that actually have something to say, books that are timeless because they touch on those universal aspects of the human condition that do not change so much over the years. Having been sorely disappointed by many praised modern works, I have found myself far more frequently pleased with those works considered classics. I appreciate having a valuable guide, short descriptions I can use to select which works might just be worth my time.
  caffron | Dec 11, 2008 |

Clifton Fadimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Major, John S.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
A Preliminary Talk With The Reader:
The books here discussed may take you fifty years to finish. They can of course be read in a much shorter time. The point is that they are intended to occupy an important part of a whole life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062720732, Paperback)

In print for almost 40 years, The Lifetime Reading Plan has long been a worthy addition to any serious reader's bookshelf, providing entertaining and informative introductions to the great works of Western civilization. Now, this "classic about classics" has been updated to reflect more diverse traditions. The New Lifetime Reading Plan recommends great literature from around the globe, including writers and works from Confucius to Chinua Achebe, Gabriel García Márquez to the Koran. Also new is an appendix profiling books by 100 important 20th-century authors--or "temporary classics," as coauthor John S. Major calls them.

Readers may argue with some of the selections (or, more likely, the omissions). Others may quarrel with the editors' opinions; they routinely analyze artists' "characters,"with occasionally prissy or patronizing results. (Of Walt Whitman, for instance, coauthor Clifton Fadiman declares that "He had an original temperament, a certain peasant shrewdness, but only a moderate amount of brains.") But no one can argue with the book's mission: promoting the classics as "life companions." "Once part of you, they work in and on and with you until you die," Fadiman writes in the introduction. Anyone seeking a guide to the vast riches of world literature need look no further than the The New Lifetime Reading Plan; it provides a gateway to the greatest achievements of the human mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:49 -0400)

Works of high regard ranging from ancient writings to modern classics are noted as well as discussions of the writer's work as a whole, critical evaluations of each work, and suggested related readings

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,654,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible