Olive Farm by Carol Drinkwater

Olive Farm (edition 2001)

by Carol Drinkwater

Member:LisaMaria_C
Title:Olive Farm
Authors:Carol Drinkwater
Info:Overlook Hardcover (2001), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 330 pages
Collections:Reviewed, Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:ultimate reading list - travel, travel, Provence, autobiography, France, Cannes, farming, fiction, food, Italy, memoir, biography, olives, Southern France

The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Olive Oil in the South of France by Carol Drinkwater

Recently added byprivate library, M-M, 1Randal, ryaSilvia, Elcmae, GMGee, Dmtcer
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen

Liked it. Moves a bit slow in places but overall is a good rendering of life as an expat in the South of France. Interestingly, the author is known for acting in the UK tv series All Creatures Great and Small. ( )
  bead-nut | Jun 5, 2013 |
  bead-nut | Jun 5, 2013 |
I slowed right down reading this---I just did not want it to end so I am delighted that this is part of a series about the Olive Farm. Drinkwater is an amazing writer and who knew when I loved watching All Creatures Great and Small so many years ago. The book is just plain delightful because Drinkwater is so completely forthcoming about everything that is happening and in extraordinary detail. Truly a wonderful true story to read about and I am SO happy there is MORE! ( )
  nyiper | Apr 8, 2013 |
I read this book because it was recommended in The Ultimate Reading List under the Travel section. Unfortunately, I had read it after very similar books on the list: Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence, Frances Mayes Under the Tuscan Sun and Chris Stewart's Driving Over Lemons. Like Mayles, Drinkwater is a foreigner who decides to settle in Provence. Like Stewart, she plunges her life savings into land she tries to make into a working farm. And like Mayes, there's a romantic villa on the property. But I didn't find Drinkwater as engaging a writer as the others--and I have found this is by no means a favored genre. I didn't finish A Year in Provence and I didn't finish The Olive Farm, although I gave it longer than Mayles' book, over a hundred pages before admitting to myself I was bored. I thought Under the Tuscan Sun not only lyrical with sensuous sensory details, but more eloquent about the history and nature surrounding the villa. Drinkwater I often found more purple than lyrical, and writing in first person present does not by itself a literary style make. Chris Stewart was more down-to-earth and charming, and gave me more of a sense of the people and culture surrounding his Spanish farm. I found Drinkwater in comparison rather bland. In so much of this story I felt I'd been there, done that--and better done too. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Feb 26, 2013 |
I loved this book, my first from Drinkwater. Beautifully written, very descriptive of the region of France and its people. I loved the drama built into the story that made this memoir a real "page turner" for me. I have already reserved the second in the series at my Library for pick up this week. ( )
  mschoenhofer | Jan 12, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142001309, Paperback)

When Carol Drinkwater and her fiancé, Michel, are given the opportunity to purchase ten acres of an abandoned olive farm in the South of France, they find the region's splendor impossible to resist. Using their entire savings as a down payment, the couple embark on an adventure that brings them in contact with the charming countryside of Provence, its querulous personalities, petty bureaucracies, and extraordinary wildlife. From the glamour of Cannes and the Isles of Lérins to the charm of her own small plot of land-which she transforms from overgrown weeds into a thriving farm-Drinkwater triumphantly relates how she realized her dream of a peaceful, meaningful life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:41 -0400)

This is actress Carol Drinkwater's lyrical account of a new life in France: the trials and tribulations of acquiring an olive farm, restoring it and farming the olives; and the overcoming of the heartache in taking on a "new" French family and understanding the workings of a Provencal community.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,945,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible