Burr by Gore Vidal

An interesting tale about one of American history's most conflicting figures. The stories and intrigues about Burr are almost too fantastical to believe, but a surprising amount of them are based on historical fact. ( )
1 vote | flag HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
  antiqueart | Jan 9, 2014 |
One of my top ten books. ( )
  Elpaca | Oct 1, 2013 |
Surviving the gloomy, gothically unhumorous Cloudsplitter has left me with little patience for “true historical fiction,” but Burr is all right, I guess. His character is never really fleshed out, mostly used as a foil for the impressionable, melodramatic Charlie, or as a conduit for an unusual portrayal of the founding fathers and whatnot. I suppose said portrayal is meant to be in character, since Vidal's afterword disclaims any personal espousal of Charlie's and Burr's stances. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
1 vote HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
I loved Gore Vidal's Justin, but did not so much love this book. At times i got deeply involved in the political intrigue Vidal masterfully pens, and so it is great insight into Vidal's real-life political criticisms, but could not muster the interest for escapist/novelist reading. I will always think of Burr though, when thinking of our founding fathers--it's difficult not to once you have read Vidal's historical fiction. ( )
  kbullfrog | Dec 20, 2012 |
For my nephews Ivan, Hugh and Burr
A Special Despatch to the New York Evening Post:
Shortly before midnight, July 1, 1833, Colonel Aaron Burr, aged seventy-seven, married Eliza Jumel, born Bowen fifty-eight years ago (more likely sixty-five but remember: she is prone to litigation!).
We do not want the old to be sharper than we. It’s bad enough that they were there first, and got the best things.

Gore Vidal's Narratives of Empire series spans the history of the United States from the Revolution to the post-World War II years. With their broad canvas and large cast of fictional and historical characters, the novels in this series present a panorama of the American political and imperial experience as interpreted by one of its most worldly, knowing, and ironic observers.

Burr is a portrait of perhaps the most complex and misunderstood of the Founding Fathers. In 1804, while serving as vice president, Aaron Burr fought a duel with his political nemesis, Alexander Hamilton, and killed him. In 1807, he was arrested, tried, and acquitted of treason. In 1833, Burr is newly married, an aging statesman considered a monster by many. Burr retains much of his political influence if not the respect of all. And he is determined to tell his own story. As his amanuensis, he chooses Charles Schermerhorn Schuyler, a young New York City journalist, and together they explore both Burr's past and the continuing political intrigues of the still young United States.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:10 -0400)

A fictional memoir illuminating Aaron Burr's life and times, highlighting his political accomplishments and fatal duel with Alexander Hamilton.

1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible