The Romance Of The Forest by Ann Radcliffe

The Romance Of The Forest (original 1791; edition 2010)

by Ann Radcliffe

Member:AmeliaW09
Title:The Romance Of The Forest
Authors:Ann Radcliffe
Info:Kessinger Publishing, LLC (2010), Hardcover, 320 pages

The Romance of the Forest by Ann Radcliffe (1791)

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
'It is the first proof of a superior mind to liberate itself from prejudices of country, or of education.' (222)

I read this because it was suggested to me that in the works of Ann Radcliffe and Maria Edgeworth I might find those female scientists I often claim did not exist in fiction until the 1880s. Well, I don't think they're to be found in this Gothic novel, either. Adeline may be educated in what we now call sciences, and even in clear thinking, but she is by no means a scientist, or even a (wo)man of science, and her clear thinking isn't linked to any kind of scientific training.

Outside of the science stuff, I didn't find much to enjoy here. Some mildly atmospheric bits, but man much of the rest of it is tedious. Hurry up Victorian realism, make novels palatable.
  Stevil2001 | Sep 7, 2018 |
I can't say I was enthralled by this story, the heroine's constant fainting in the face of adversity annoyed me no end. It was ok but I far prefer other gothic authors. ( )
  jhullie | Mar 20, 2018 |
not able to get into it right now.
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
This novel was received to critical acclaim on publication, and it has certainly held up well; as an early example of the gothic style, it's excellent. Creepy abbey with dark mysterious chambers, a manuscript written by a secret prisoner, lots of mistaken identities, &c. Good stuff, and some really well-handled suspenseful moments and unexpected twists, too. ( )
  JBD1 | Dec 24, 2014 |
Read in the anthology "Three 18th Century Romances" where a two (?) chapters are edited out. ( )
  Georges_T._Dodds | Mar 30, 2013 |

Ann Radcliffeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chard, ChloeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192837133, Paperback)

This novel, although not as well-known as Radcliffe's later works, is thought to represent her work at its best. More than just a work of suspense and mystery, it is a work of ideas--a discussion of the contrasts between hedonistic doctrines and a system of education and values.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

This novel is the epitome of the Gothic novel - a beautiful, orphaned heiress, a dashing hero, a dissolute, aristocratic villain and a ruined abbey deep in a great forest are combined by the author in a tale of suspense where danger lurks behind every secret trap-door.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,835,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible