Dhampir 7: Vergessene Zeit by Barb J. C.…

Dhampir 7: Vergessene Zeit (edition 2011)

by Barb J. C. Hendee, Andreas Brandhorst (Übersetzer)

Member:Anthenia
Title:Dhampir 7: Vergessene Zeit
Authors:Barb J. C. Hendee
Other authors:Andreas Brandhorst (Übersetzer)
Info:Lyx (2011), Ausgabe: 1., Broschiert, 441 Seiten
Collections:Wishlist

In Shade and Shadow by Barb Hendee

The second Noble Dead series begins with a whimper. The books in the first series were enjoyable, if uneven in their pacing. The characters' interplay and unfolding personal histories kept my interest piqued and helped to support a gradually unfolding journey through the overall arc of the series.
In Shade and Shadow leaves most of the characters from the first series behind -- at least for now. The story focuses on Wynn, who was an integral part of the first series, but not a main character. I like her character a lot as a supporting player, but so far she isn't making a very interesting protagonist. This may be due to the fact that she spends much of the book feeling helpless, oppressed and confused, and hence not really doing anything about her situation. Also, the story itself moves along at a glacial pace, with detail upon detail piled upon not much actually happening for many pages. After 200 pages, the stakes finally become more immediate, and the arc of this second series starts to take form. But for me, it is too little, too late.
If you're going to write a series complete with building maps, multiple languages, detailed breakdowns of social organizations, and a lot of exposition to keep readers reminded of revelations from previous books in the series, then you need to support the weight of all that detail with a brisk, engaging story. Instead, In Shade and Shadow just plods along and, for great swaths, is just plain boring.
I'm sad to leave the world of this series behind, but I don't know that I'll want to dive in again when there is so much out there that am more likely to enjoy. ( )
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
Like all the previous books, good character development, plot so forth. It was nice to learn more a Wynn and the Sagecraft Guide. Looking forward to reading the next tow books, and of course, anything else the Hendee's write. ( )
  candidar | Aug 17, 2010 |
This is the Noble Dead Saga, series 2. It has Wynn and Chane, and Chap's daughter, Shade, but no one else we know.

Not bad, but I kept wondering when the good stuff was going to start. Seemed to start slow, and just didn't seem to really pick up the pace until more than half way through the book when Wynn finally grows a spine. Wynn still whines a lot, even after she grows a spine.

Chane is more sympathetic. I like Shade, but we don't get her POV at all.

New baddy, and we finally get to see dwarves. Woot! ( )
  SLHobbs | Jan 20, 2010 |
Returning to the guild Wynn finds herself the center of a dangerous new foe. A good read but lacks the action of the previous books. ( )
  dswaddell | Oct 30, 2009 |
Following her long journey with Magiere, Leesil, and Chap, Wynn finally returns to her guild. But instead of believing her stories and ancient texts that she has brought back, the guild acts like she is crazy and takes away the texts. When a couple of young sages are killed while carrying one of the folios, Wynn immediately believes it was an attack by a Noble Dead (vampire). But why would a Noble Dead be interested in old writings? What secrets do they hold?
I was glad to hear that the Noble Dead series was continuing in some form, as it was one of my favorites. Because she always seemed so helpless and dependant upon her friends, Wynn certainly wasn’t one of my favorite characters in prior books. But she has changed. And we see her grow up quite a bit in this latest novel, when faced with overbearing guild masters and frustrating circumstances. I’m hoping her character continues to evolve into a strong, independent young woman.
Many new characters are introduced in this story, as the series left most of the familiar behind. The most interesting ones are the most mysterious. And as before in this dark fantasy series, plenty of danger and suspense surround the mysterious as well.
The return of a former love interest, of sorts, to Wynn was the highlight for me. Their conflicting feelings and natures are tragic yet hopeful. And with a fantastic climactic ending, this new spinoff series is off to a great start. I can’t wait to see what else lies in store for Wynn and her companions. ( )
  scifichick | Feb 16, 2009 |

Barb Hendeeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hendee, J.C.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hendee, J.C.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Well past sunset, Elias hiked up the hem of his grat sage's robe and rounded the avenue's next corner.

Wynn Hygeorht has returned to the Guild of Sagecraft, bearing texts supposedly penned by vampires from the time of the Forgotten History and the Great War. Suspicious of the Guild, Wynn embarks on a quest to uncover the secrets of the texts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,408,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible