Unraveled Sleeve by Monica Ferris

Unraveled Sleeve (2001)

by Monica Ferris

This is the first book I've read by this author. I enjoyed the characters, but not being a needleworker I was not into the background of the story.
I did enjoy the basic plot of the person who was/wasn't there and the puzzle of solving it all.
I do plan to read other books she has written, to get a better taste of her style. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
Betsy Devonshire is having nightmares and decides she needs to take a break from her needlework shop. She and her police officer friend Jill travel to a stitch in in northern Minnesota. There Betsy discovers the body of a woman that no one else even remembers seeing at the hotel. A light mystery. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
This is the fourth book in the NeedleCraft Mystery series which currently number 18. I listen to these on audiobook, usually while working at my sewing machine as they are such a good accompaniment to crafting.

I have listened to the books completely out of sequence. This one being the earliest in the series I have heard so far, but going out of order has not spoilt my enjoyment at all.

Betsy Devonshire has inherited a needlework shop based in the town of Excelsior, Minnesota. As well as learning to run a small business she has become proficient in needlework. Betsy has also developed a knack for solving crime.

It is interesting to see the effect on Betsy of being involved in such adventures. At the start of this story Betsy is suffering from terrible nightmares. Nightmares that are so realistic she cannot always tell the difference between being awake and asleep. There is enough information so that I can empathise with Betsy’s situation and understand why she feels so upset.

The story quickly moves from the usual setting in Excelsior to a remote rustic lodge. The only one of the regular cast of characters to appear along with Betsy is her friend Jill. This device allows us to watch Betsy’s character grow and develop. Without the distraction of the usual set of people that surround her it is possible to focus on Betsy without distraction.

She has to decide if she wants to continue investigating when crime comes her way. Or if the effects on her psyche are just to much for her to cope with. She finds than when confronted with injustice she cannot walk away. And so when she finds a body she is compelled to solve the mystery.

By the end of the story Betsy has recognised that her compulsion to solve mysteries can bring peace to the innocent. The occasional bad dream is a small price to pay. ( )
  Prairieblossom | Feb 19, 2015 |
Addictive — I swear it! ( )
  dreamingbear | Feb 6, 2014 |
I love this series and can't get enough of it. It helps that I do counted crossstitch ( )
  suefitz1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Through a ring of uniformed police officers, Betsy glimpsed the body of a very fat man.

Betsy Deveonshire has settled into her new home in Excelsior, Minnestoa, as owner of the town's needle-craft shop, and soon-to-be millionaire following the completion of her sister's estate settlement. Friend Jill convinces her to get away to a "stich-in" at the remote, rustic lodge, Naniboujou, on the Shores of Lake Superior. She finds a dead woman no one else has seen, then the body disappears. The mystery needlework expert doesn't appear, the police begin the hunt and discover Betsy wasn't dreaming about a dead body. She then figures out where the body must be. The victim's life dealing with extreme allergies leads to possible murderers, and Betsy and Jill join the police in questioning the family and attendees of the stich-in.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042518045X, Mass Market Paperback)

The art of needlecraft requires patience, discipline, and creativity. So, too, does the art of detection. Just ask Betsy Devonshire—who’s learning that life in a small-town needlecraft shop can reveal an unexpected knack for knitting…and a hidden talent for unraveling crime.

Unraveled Sleeve

Betsy Devonshire has settled into her new home in Excelsior, Minnesota, as owner of the town’s needlecraft shop. So why is she suffering from terrifying nightmares? She hasn’t a clue—but she thinks maybe it would help to get away for a while. With her friend Jill in tow, she heads north for a “stitch-in” at a remote, rustic lodge. But her nightmares only get worse—especially after she finds a dead woman no one else had seen. Then the body disappears—and she knows she won’t get any rest until she untangles the mysterious threads of the crime….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:00 -0400)

"Betsy Devonshire has settled into her new home in Excelsior, Minnesota, as owner of the town's needlecraft shop. So why is she suffering from terrifying nightmares? She hasn't a clue, but thinks maybe it would help to get away for awhile. With her friend Jill in tow, she heads north for a 'stich-in' at a remote, rustic lodge. But her nightmares only get worse, especially after she finds a dead woman no one else had seen. Then the body disappears and she knows she won't get any rest until she untangles the mysterious threads of the crime."--P. [4] of publisher.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,097,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible