Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Chocolat (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Joanne Harris

Series: Chocolat (1)

Member:updo
Title:Chocolat
Authors:Joanne Harris
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2000), Edition: Other Printing, Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:relationships, occult, France

Chocolat by Joanne Harris (1999)

English (147)  Dutch (9)  Lithuanian (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (166)
So much better than the film!! ( )
  Bookoholic73 | Nov 1, 2016 |
Read this book prior to the film's debut; enjoyed it enormously! Much darker than the film, of course- the ending of the book was much more satisfying (to me, anyway). ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
I don't think I'd have normally picked this up. I never watched the movie, and I assumed the book would be a sappy romance plot with chocolate thrown into the mix as a shtick. Assumptions often make you miss out, she says now to herself.

I quite enjoyed the book, the characters, and the nearly edible descriptions of scenes given throughout. I think my focus fell most on Reynaud. Mainly because his anger veiled with piety piqued my curiosity early on in the book. I loved Anouk's name, spirit, and the wisps of tracks left behind by the loyal Pantoufle. Guillaume both cheered and broke my heart. Armande might just be my spirit character for when I'm 80 and I found myself very proud of the character Josephine at the end of things.

All-in-all, a very satisfying look into a small village and those the wind carries.

“Life is what you celebrate. All of it. Even its end.”

lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I saw the film before I read the book - the book was different. Deeper. I enjoyed it a lot, though it was a slower read than I thought. It was very descriptive. And it didn't help that I had chocolate cravings all throughout reading it! ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
I read this book many, many years ago - it was the first Joanne Harris book I read, and one of the few books I read when I was a teenager that I actually finished.

I found it really engrossing and absolutely loved it. I loved the way that Harris developed her characters and added such subtlety and depth. The mayor of the town sounds like a bit of a villain, in the blurb, but it's really not like that at all. I enjoyed reading the different chapters from different character's perspectives. I liked the richness of this novel, the texture of it and how atmospheric it was.

The only thing I didn't really like was the fact that it was sometimes slower in places. That said, the setting is a tiny, tiny little village in France, so I'm not sure how I would've written it, given the opportunity.

Overall, I loved it, I formed an attachment to the characters and was so impressed with how much Harris was able to convey while leaving so much unsaid.

4.5 stars. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |

Harris, Joanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roman over de smaak van liefde
In memory of my great-grandmother Marie Andre Sorin (1892-1968)
We came on the wind of the carnival.
There is a kind of alchemy in the tranformation of base chocolate into this wise fool's gold, a layman's magic which even my mother might have relished. As I work I clear my mind, breathing deeply. The windows are open, and the through draught would be cold if it were not for the heat of the stoves, the copper pans, the rising vapour from the melting couverture. The mingled scents of chocolate, vanilla, heated copper and cinnamon are intoxicating, powerfully suggestive; the raw and earthy tang of the Americas, the hot and resinous perfume of the rainforest. This is how I travel now, as the Aztecs did in their sacred rituals. The court of Montezuma. Cortez and Columbus. The food of the gods, bubbling and frothing in ceremonial goblets. The bitter elixir of life.

When beautiful, unmarried Vianne Rocher sweeps into the pinched little French town of Lansquenet on the heels of the carnival and opens a gem of a chocolate shop across the square from the church, she begins to wreak havoc with the town's Lenton vows. Her uncanny ability to preceive her customers' private discontents and alleviate them with just the right confection coaxes the villagers to abandon themselves to temptation and happiness, but enrages Pere Reynaud, the local priest. Certain only a witch could stir such sinful indulgence and devise such clever cures, Reynaud pits himself against Vianne and vows to block the chocolate festival she plans for Easter Sunday, and to run her out of town forever. Witch or not (she'll never tell), Vianne soon sparks a dramatic confrontation between those who prefer the cold comforts of the church and those who revel in their newly discovered taste for pleasure. (0-131-00018-X)

trade edition paperback, vg++

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynaund denounces the newcomer's wares as the ultimate sin.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,312,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible