Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Chocolat (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Joanne Harris

Series: Chocolat (1)

Member:updo
Title:Chocolat
Authors:Joanne Harris
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2000), Edition: Other Printing, Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:relationships, occult, France

Chocolat by Joanne Harris (1999)

English (146)  Dutch (9)  Lithuanian (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (164)
Review can also be found in Chill and read:

Vianne Rocher and her daughter Anouk, arrive in the French village of Lansquenet after having traveled in many places. They open a chocolate boutique directly opposite the village’s church and they intent to stay. They are as exotic as any stranger can be to the villagers, not accustomed to tourists or visitors. Father Reynaud denounces Vianne as a serious danger to his flock and chocolate as a sin, especially as Easter is approaching and people should be abstinent. War is declared between church and chocolate,Father Reynaud and Vianne.

The book is about many things that feed our minds with thoughts. It is about making new friends and fitting in to a new environment, so different than you. It is about embracing new things and different cultures. It is about racism. It is about the right to live your own life, no matter what others say. It is about the strength needed to oppose to your people when what you believe is not what they want from you. it is about making new starts and be strong against old bad habits and even worse men. It is about believing in children and trusting them, allowing them fly away from the nest into the real world. It is about life and death, spiritual and human, Christianity and paganism, God and magic, right and wrong.

One of the fasinating things of this book is the chocolate itself. “La Celeste Praline”, the chocolaterie that Vianne Rocher opened in the French village, is somewhat extravagant. I don’t know if this is a characteristic of the French, but every little sweet thing had a name that would call for you to taste it. The descriptions of the brews and the candy in the store are so vivid, that the reader would easily imagine having one or two along with the book. This is not an easy task! ( )
  GeorgiaKo | Jun 24, 2016 |
I don't think I'd have normally picked this up. I never watched the movie, and I assumed the book would be a sappy romance plot with chocolate thrown into the mix as a shtick. Assumptions often make you miss out, she says now to herself.

I quite enjoyed the book, the characters, and the nearly edible descriptions of scenes given throughout. I think my focus fell most on Reynaud. Mainly because his anger veiled with piety piqued my curiosity early on in the book. I loved Anouk's name, spirit, and the wisps of tracks left behind by the loyal Pantoufle. Guillaume both cheered and broke my heart. Armande might just be my spirit character for when I'm 80 and I found myself very proud of the character Josephine at the end of things.

All-in-all, a very satisfying look into a small village and those the wind carries.

“Life is what you celebrate. All of it. Even its end.”

lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
The only reason why i dind't give it 5 stars despite me loving it so so much, was because it didn't have the ending i wanted. I know its not fair, the book is really well written and deserves all the stars, but i am childish when it comes to my favorite couples. ( )
  LadyJoana | Apr 9, 2016 |
There are some major differences between the book and the movie and I had a hard time getting going because I was so busy comparing the two. But most the the major characters and events are the same and the feelings evoked are the same in each. Harris does a great job painting a picture, even to the point where you can swear you can smell and taste chocolate. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |

Harris, Joanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roman over de smaak van liefde
In memory of my great-grandmother Marie Andre Sorin (1892-1968)
We came on the wind of the carnival.
There is a kind of alchemy in the tranformation of base chocolate into this wise fool's gold, a layman's magic which even my mother might have relished. As I work I clear my mind, breathing deeply. The windows are open, and the through draught would be cold if it were not for the heat of the stoves, the copper pans, the rising vapour from the melting couverture. The mingled scents of chocolate, vanilla, heated copper and cinnamon are intoxicating, powerfully suggestive; the raw and earthy tang of the Americas, the hot and resinous perfume of the rainforest. This is how I travel now, as the Aztecs did in their sacred rituals. The court of Montezuma. Cortez and Columbus. The food of the gods, bubbling and frothing in ceremonial goblets. The bitter elixir of life.

When beautiful, unmarried Vianne Rocher sweeps into the pinched little French town of Lansquenet on the heels of the carnival and opens a gem of a chocolate shop across the square from the church, she begins to wreak havoc with the town's Lenton vows. Her uncanny ability to preceive her customers' private discontents and alleviate them with just the right confection coaxes the villagers to abandon themselves to temptation and happiness, but enrages Pere Reynaud, the local priest. Certain only a witch could stir such sinful indulgence and devise such clever cures, Reynaud pits himself against Vianne and vows to block the chocolate festival she plans for Easter Sunday, and to run her out of town forever. Witch or not (she'll never tell), Vianne soon sparks a dramatic confrontation between those who prefer the cold comforts of the church and those who revel in their newly discovered taste for pleasure. (0-131-00018-X)

trade edition paperback, vg++

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynaund denounces the newcomer's wares as the ultimate sin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,720,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible