Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Chocolat (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Joanne Harris

Series: Chocolat (1)

Member:updo
Title:Chocolat
Authors:Joanne Harris
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2000), Edition: Other Printing, Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:relationships, occult, France

Chocolat by Joanne Harris (1999)

English (146)  Dutch (9)  Lithuanian (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (164)
The only reason why i dind't give it 5 stars despite me loving it so so much, was because it didn't have the ending i wanted. I know its not fair, the book is really well written and deserves all the stars, but i am childish when it comes to my favorite couples. ( )
  LadyJoana | Apr 9, 2016 |
There are some major differences between the book and the movie and I had a hard time getting going because I was so busy comparing the two. But most the the major characters and events are the same and the feelings evoked are the same in each. Harris does a great job painting a picture, even to the point where you can swear you can smell and taste chocolate. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
This book reminds me of The Mistress of Spices (which, in turn, reminded me of Like Water for Chocolate).

Viane is so calm in the face of other's pettiness, so confident. And yet, haunted by her late mother's fears, and still running from "the Black Man." Reynaud is so damnably, arrogantly righteous. And yet I derive no happiness or satisfaction from his end.

Just a delicious book. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 8, 2016 |
This book was pleasant, well-written, and a bit different from most modern books - but having finished it, I'm not sure why so many people rave over it.

The story is about Vianne Rocher, a single mother with a six-year-old daughter. They've been travelling, but decide to settle down in a small town in France. Vianne opens a chocolate shop, and gradually makes friends - and also enemies. In many ways she's the catalyst for changes in this ultra-traditional town: she asks questions, challenges people's ideas, and generally tries to make life pleasant for them.

There's a strange sort of mystical element running through the book. Vianne perceives more than is there - spotting people's deep problems, seeing their thoughts - and although this is explained partly in terms of reading tarot cards and scrying in chocolate, I wanted there to be something more; yet that thread almost faded away.

All in all, an interesting book; worth reading, yet not gripping. The ending was dramatic in various ways, and mostly satisfactory, although it left the future somewhat open. ( )
1 vote SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Harris, Joanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roman over de smaak van liefde
In memory of my great-grandmother Marie Andre Sorin (1892-1968)
We came on the wind of the carnival.
There is a kind of alchemy in the tranformation of base chocolate into this wise fool's gold, a layman's magic which even my mother might have relished. As I work I clear my mind, breathing deeply. The windows are open, and the through draught would be cold if it were not for the heat of the stoves, the copper pans, the rising vapour from the melting couverture. The mingled scents of chocolate, vanilla, heated copper and cinnamon are intoxicating, powerfully suggestive; the raw and earthy tang of the Americas, the hot and resinous perfume of the rainforest. This is how I travel now, as the Aztecs did in their sacred rituals. The court of Montezuma. Cortez and Columbus. The food of the gods, bubbling and frothing in ceremonial goblets. The bitter elixir of life.

When beautiful, unmarried Vianne Rocher sweeps into the pinched little French town of Lansquenet on the heels of the carnival and opens a gem of a chocolate shop across the square from the church, she begins to wreak havoc with the town's Lenton vows. Her uncanny ability to preceive her customers' private discontents and alleviate them with just the right confection coaxes the villagers to abandon themselves to temptation and happiness, but enrages Pere Reynaud, the local priest. Certain only a witch could stir such sinful indulgence and devise such clever cures, Reynaud pits himself against Vianne and vows to block the chocolate festival she plans for Easter Sunday, and to run her out of town forever. Witch or not (she'll never tell), Vianne soon sparks a dramatic confrontation between those who prefer the cold comforts of the church and those who revel in their newly discovered taste for pleasure. (0-131-00018-X)

trade edition paperback, vg++

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynaund denounces the newcomer's wares as the ultimate sin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible