Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Chocolat (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Joanne Harris

Series: Chocolat (1)

Member:kleinkacheltje
Title:Chocolat
Authors:Joanne Harris
Info:Penguin Books (2000), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:chocolade, rondtrekken, Frankrijk, religie, roddels, rebelie, vasten, zonde, onverdraagzaamheid

Chocolat by Joanne Harris (Author) (1999)

English (144)  Dutch (9)  Lithuanian (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (162)
This book reminds me of The Mistress of Spices (which, in turn, reminded me of Like Water for Chocolate).

Viane is so calm in the face of other's pettiness, so confident. And yet, haunted by her late mother's fears, and still running from "the Black Man." Reynaud is so damnably, arrogantly righteous. And yet I derive no happiness or satisfaction from his end.

Just a delicious book. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 8, 2016 |
This book was pleasant, well-written, and a bit different from most modern books - but having finished it, I'm not sure why so many people rave over it.

The story is about Vianne Rocher, a single mother with a six-year-old daughter. They've been travelling, but decide to settle down in a small town in France. Vianne opens a chocolate shop, and gradually makes friends - and also enemies. In many ways she's the catalyst for changes in this ultra-traditional town: she asks questions, challenges people's ideas, and generally tries to make life pleasant for them.

There's a strange sort of mystical element running through the book. Vianne perceives more than is there - spotting people's deep problems, seeing their thoughts - and although this is explained partly in terms of reading tarot cards and scrying in chocolate, I wanted there to be something more; yet that thread almost faded away.

All in all, an interesting book; worth reading, yet not gripping. The ending was dramatic in various ways, and mostly satisfactory, although it left the future somewhat open. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I couldn't put this book down; I liked everything about it, the characters, the story, the setting as well as the writing are all wonderful. The story of Vianne Rocher, who arrives with her little daughter in a small French town seemingly with the wind like a modern-day Mary Poppins, is fascinating and touching as she helps people discover happiness (and chocolate). Loved it! ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
I don't think I'd have normally picked this up. I never watched the movie, and I assumed the book would be a sappy romance plot with chocolate thrown into the mix as a shtick. Assumptions often make you miss out, she says now to herself.

I quite enjoyed the book, the characters, and the nearly edible descriptions of scenes given throughout. I think my focus fell most on Reynaud. Mainly because his anger veiled with piety piqued my curiosity early on in the book. I loved Anouk's name, spirit, and the wisps of tracks left behind by the loyal Pantoufle. Guillaume both cheered and broke my heart. Armande might just be my spirit character for when I'm 80 and I found myself very proud of the character Josephine at the end of things.

All-in-all, a very satisfying look into a small village and those the wind carries.

“Life is what you celebrate. All of it. Even its end.”

lemotamant898 | Jan 18, 2016 |

“Life is what you celebrate. All of it. Even its end.”

motavant | Jan 17, 2016 |
Roman over de smaak van liefde
In memory of my great-grandmother Marie Andre Sorin (1892-1968)
We came on the wind of the carnival.
There is a kind of alchemy in the tranformation of base chocolate into this wise fool's gold, a layman's magic which even my mother might have relished. As I work I clear my mind, breathing deeply. The windows are open, and the through draught would be cold if it were not for the heat of the stoves, the copper pans, the rising vapour from the melting couverture. The mingled scents of chocolate, vanilla, heated copper and cinnamon are intoxicating, powerfully suggestive; the raw and earthy tang of the Americas, the hot and resinous perfume of the rainforest. This is how I travel now, as the Aztecs did in their sacred rituals. The court of Montezuma. Cortez and Columbus. The food of the gods, bubbling and frothing in ceremonial goblets. The bitter elixir of life.

When beautiful, unmarried Vianne Rocher sweeps into the pinched little French town of Lansquenet on the heels of the carnival and opens a gem of a chocolate shop across the square from the church, she begins to wreak havoc with the town's Lenton vows. Her uncanny ability to preceive her customers' private discontents and alleviate them with just the right confection coaxes the villagers to abandon themselves to temptation and happiness, but enrages Pere Reynaud, the local priest. Certain only a witch could stir such sinful indulgence and devise such clever cures, Reynaud pits himself against Vianne and vows to block the chocolate festival she plans for Easter Sunday, and to run her out of town forever. Witch or not (she'll never tell), Vianne soon sparks a dramatic confrontation between those who prefer the cold comforts of the church and those who revel in their newly discovered taste for pleasure. (0-131-00018-X)

trade edition paperback, vg++

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynaund denounces the newcomer's wares as the ultimate sin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,147,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible