Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Chocolat (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Joanne Harris

Series: Chocolat (1)

Member:kleinkacheltje
Title:Chocolat
Authors:Joanne Harris
Info:Penguin Books (2000), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:chocolade, rondtrekken, Frankrijk, religie, roddels, rebelie, vasten, zonde, onverdraagzaamheid

Chocolat by Joanne Harris (Author) (1999)

English (131)  Dutch (7)  Lithuanian (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (147)
I never saw the film, just read the book. I enjoyed this book with its almost magical tale of a woman and her daughter starting a new life in a small village in France. An excellent read. ( )
  greatbookescapes | Nov 20, 2014 |
The beginning slowed me up a bit... But it was totally worth it. The descriptions in this book are fabulous. Absolutely entrancing. The characters are foreign, yet familiar somehow. The location so French, yet it could easily be any city. Beautiful. Love it. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Roman over de smaak van liefde
In memory of my great-grandmother Marie Andre Sorin (1892-1968)
We came on the wind of the carnival.
There is a kind of alchemy in the tranformation of base chocolate into this wise fool's gold, a layman's magic which even my mother might have relished. As I work I clear my mind, breathing deeply. The windows are open, and the through draught would be cold if it were not for the heat of the stoves, the copper pans, the rising vapour from the melting couverture. The mingled scents of chocolate, vanilla, heated copper and cinnamon are intoxicating, powerfully suggestive; the raw and earthy tang of the Americas, the hot and resinous perfume of the rainforest. This is how I travel now, as the Aztecs did in their sacred rituals. The court of Montezuma. Cortez and Columbus. The food of the gods, bubbling and frothing in ceremonial goblets. The bitter elixir of life.

When beautiful, unmarried Vianne Rocher sweeps into the pinched little French town of Lansquenet on the heels of the carnival and opens a gem of a chocolate shop across the square from the church, she begins to wreak havoc with the town's Lenton vows. Her uncanny ability to preceive her customers' private discontents and alleviate them with just the right confection coaxes the villagers to abandon themselves to temptation and happiness, but enrages Pere Reynaud, the local priest. Certain only a witch could stir such sinful indulgence and devise such clever cures, Reynaud pits himself against Vianne and vows to block the chocolate festival she plans for Easter Sunday, and to run her out of town forever. Witch or not (she'll never tell), Vianne soon sparks a dramatic confrontation between those who prefer the cold comforts of the church and those who revel in their newly discovered taste for pleasure. (0-131-00018-X)

trade edition paperback, vg++

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:17 -0400)

When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynaund denounces the newcomer's wares as the ultimate sin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,464,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible