Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Chocolat (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Joanne Harris

Series: Chocolat (1)

Authors:Joanne Harris
Info:London ; New York : Doubleday, 1999.

Chocolat by Joanne Harris (Author) (1999)

English (136)  Dutch (8)  Lithuanian (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (153)
This was the book that inspired me to become a writer. Having only seen the movie, I didn't know what to expect when I picked up the book nearly a decade ago, but I instantly fell in love with it. It was like nothing I had ever read before and I have since re-read it many times.

I absolutely adore the whimsical world that Joanne Harris creates, the hints of magic, and especially the sweetness she sprinkles throughout.

Since reading Chocolat that very first time, I have since consumed every Joanne Harris book written, including her very first novels, The Evil Seed and Sleep Pale Sister. Her writing style varies from book to book; however, her stories remain well-written and imaginative with characters you don't forget. She remains one of my favorite authors of all time. ( )
  amieiwinters | Oct 22, 2015 |
I loved this book. The narrative is shared between Vianne and Father Reynaud, who's much more negative in the book than he is in the film. There is a big philosophical battle going on between the two of them. The blurb on the back of the book refers to it as a 'church versus chocolate' battle. The book is full of mouth-watering detail, I felt like I could really be in Vianne's shop tasting her lovely chocolate offerings. ( )
  AmiloFinn | Jun 13, 2015 |

The book is very good, but every one of its flaws and disappointments is corrected beautifully by the film. If you're a fan of the film, you may be shocked to learn that Roux ends up with Josephine at the end of the novel, even though Vianne is pregnant by him. The book is very heavy-handed with pro-pagan, anti-catholic sentiments, whereas the film makes the mayor rather than the priest the bad guy and shows how churches and small towns can embrace love and tolerance. The film preserves and sets down as fact the central hope of the novel, that Vianne and Anouk will stop their wanderings and find a home. This is one of those rare instances in which I prefer a film adaptation to the original novel; the book gets four stars and the film gets five. Besides, any film with both Judi Dench AND Johnny Depp in it is a treasure. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Mar 3, 2015 |
Very interesting book, full of colorful characters and passionate descriptions of love, indifferences and chocolate! A tasty read! ( )
  tippygirl | Feb 27, 2015 |
One of my favorite books. ( )
  sharoncville3579 | Jan 24, 2015 |
Roman over de smaak van liefde
In memory of my great-grandmother Marie Andre Sorin (1892-1968)
We came on the wind of the carnival.
There is a kind of alchemy in the tranformation of base chocolate into this wise fool's gold, a layman's magic which even my mother might have relished. As I work I clear my mind, breathing deeply. The windows are open, and the through draught would be cold if it were not for the heat of the stoves, the copper pans, the rising vapour from the melting couverture. The mingled scents of chocolate, vanilla, heated copper and cinnamon are intoxicating, powerfully suggestive; the raw and earthy tang of the Americas, the hot and resinous perfume of the rainforest. This is how I travel now, as the Aztecs did in their sacred rituals. The court of Montezuma. Cortez and Columbus. The food of the gods, bubbling and frothing in ceremonial goblets. The bitter elixir of life.

When beautiful, unmarried Vianne Rocher sweeps into the pinched little French town of Lansquenet on the heels of the carnival and opens a gem of a chocolate shop across the square from the church, she begins to wreak havoc with the town's Lenton vows. Her uncanny ability to preceive her customers' private discontents and alleviate them with just the right confection coaxes the villagers to abandon themselves to temptation and happiness, but enrages Pere Reynaud, the local priest. Certain only a witch could stir such sinful indulgence and devise such clever cures, Reynaud pits himself against Vianne and vows to block the chocolate festival she plans for Easter Sunday, and to run her out of town forever. Witch or not (she'll never tell), Vianne soon sparks a dramatic confrontation between those who prefer the cold comforts of the church and those who revel in their newly discovered taste for pleasure. (0-131-00018-X)

trade edition paperback, vg++

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynaund denounces the newcomer's wares as the ultimate sin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,870,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible