Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Chocolat (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Joanne Harris

Series: Chocolat (1)

Member:ColmGuerin
Title:Chocolat
Authors:Joanne Harris
Info:London ; New York : Doubleday, 1999.
Tags:Fiction, Read in 2012

Chocolat by Joanne Harris (Author) (1999)

English (128)  Dutch (7)  Lithuanian (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (144)
The beginning slowed me up a bit... But it was totally worth it. The descriptions in this book are fabulous. Absolutely entrancing. The characters are foreign, yet familiar somehow. The location so French, yet it could easily be any city. Beautiful. Love it. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
A wonderful summer read (fourth of the rereads) ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
A wonderful summer read (fourth of the rereads) ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
Hmmm. I had this book in my "TBR" pile when I read a mention in a Christian publication using this book (or the movie) as an example of media making the religious look stupid or evil or otherwise unappealing while glorifying those who ridiculed Christians. Now I felt too guilt to read it! But no book can stay at my house too very long, so I gave it a shot.

Well, certainly the criticism was truthful, in that the village priest is the "man in black" of the piece and the heroine was raised a witch. I hope this does not show a permanent bias on Harris' part, and that other works will balance this out. But I did enjoy the piece. I loved the mother and daughter, and found the descriptions of the chocolates seductive indeed. The sympathetic characters were all the underclass or the downtrodden and, while Harris made them non-Christian in most instances, it is unfortunate to note that many Christians could learn lessons in how to treat others in the actions of our chocolatier. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 16, 2014 |
"Chocolat" is an oddly moving and at times, painful story of hidden longings in a tiny, depressed and depressing village in France. Vianne and her young daughter drift into town on the wind and open a chocolate shop at the very beginning of Lenten abstinence in a town weighed down by a warped and self-righteous priest. ( )
  cfk | Feb 14, 2014 |
Roman over de smaak van liefde
In memory of my great-grandmother Marie Andre Sorin (1892-1968)
We came on the wind of the carnival.
There is a kind of alchemy in the tranformation of base chocolate into this wise fool's gold, a layman's magic which even my mother might have relished. As I work I clear my mind, breathing deeply. The windows are open, and the through draught would be cold if it were not for the heat of the stoves, the copper pans, the rising vapour from the melting couverture. The mingled scents of chocolate, vanilla, heated copper and cinnamon are intoxicating, powerfully suggestive; the raw and earthy tang of the Americas, the hot and resinous perfume of the rainforest. This is how I travel now, as the Aztecs did in their sacred rituals. The court of Montezuma. Cortez and Columbus. The food of the gods, bubbling and frothing in ceremonial goblets. The bitter elixir of life.

When beautiful, unmarried Vianne Rocher sweeps into the pinched little French town of Lansquenet on the heels of the carnival and opens a gem of a chocolate shop across the square from the church, she begins to wreak havoc with the town's Lenton vows. Her uncanny ability to preceive her customers' private discontents and alleviate them with just the right confection coaxes the villagers to abandon themselves to temptation and happiness, but enrages Pere Reynaud, the local priest. Certain only a witch could stir such sinful indulgence and devise such clever cures, Reynaud pits himself against Vianne and vows to block the chocolate festival she plans for Easter Sunday, and to run her out of town forever. Witch or not (she'll never tell), Vianne soon sparks a dramatic confrontation between those who prefer the cold comforts of the church and those who revel in their newly discovered taste for pleasure. (0-131-00018-X)

trade edition paperback, vg++

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:17 -0400)

When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynaund denounces the newcomer's wares as the ultimate sin.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible