Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block

Weetzie Bat (1989)

by Francesca Lia Block

VOYA Ratings: 3Q, 3P

Weetzie Bat is a strange and dream-like world where "love is a dangerous angel" and wishes comes true, mostly anyway. Addressing issues of sexuality and coming of age struggles, Block creates a unique and vivid scene that is beautiful and alien, yet very personal. Weetzie and Dirk are two young kids that simply do not fit in with most of the world around them yet them come to forge their own version of a happy existence amid the palm trees and sunshine of California.

At times, this book accurately captures the struggles and scenes for young adults as they make the pilgrimage from adolescence into adulthood while taking occasional forays into a surreal and upside down world. From witch babies, magic curses, and wish granting genies that tell it like it is, this book is a unique creation that is certainly worth the time. ( )
  abrial2433 | Jun 8, 2014 |
Reading Weetzie Bat felt like immersing oneself in someone else's daydream. There was an ethereal quality to the writing that made situation that might have been conflicting and traumatic easy and light. While I do understand that this would appeal to the YA genre and I enjoyed the story greatly I found myself desperate for more of a reaction. After all YA fiction often shapes the way teens view the world and there were never consequences.

For instance, when Weetzie magically decides to have a baby and it's as though it all happens on a cloud while angels feed her marshmallows I cringed to myself and wondered if perhaps this is the reality that has brought about the reality in which teens think to themselves having a baby is so easy and just so LOVELY.

There are moments in the book that were so beautifully written that I just smiled and let them linger in my mind. Overall I truly enjoyed the book as it is truly beautifully written and has such a unique perspective. However, it's much like a fairy tale. Realism is not the order of the day, and is not to be expect or found within this lovely book. ( )
  alicen3 | Apr 22, 2014 |
Voya Ratings: Q3, P2

I was not a huge fan of this book.

I'd give it a Q3 because it was an easy, quick read, easy to understand. However I felt like the story line was a little disjointed and it didn't really develop the characters that much. It was just kind of dreamy and disorienting, which may very well have been what the author was going for.

I would think this book would have a popularity rating of P2 because at this point, the material is kind of dated and there are a lot of books available that deal with this subject matter in a more interesting way. ( )
1 vote Johanna_Talbott | Apr 20, 2014 |
The VOYA popularity rating I assigned this book is 2P, or 'for the YA reader with a special interest in the subject.' I believe its quality is 3Q, 'readable, without serious defects. I found the novel to be fairly enjoyable and it was certainly an easy, brief read. I do not believe that it would have a mass appeal with youth audiences however, even if they were pushed into reading it. For teens who enjoy magical realism or quirky female protagonists this could be a great read. However, the magical realism may be a drawback for some teens. I found myself having a hard time connecting with the protagonist Weetzie because of the surreal quality of the novel. At an age where they are searching for concrete answers about life, the abstract, overly simplified style of the narrative may be dissatisfying. I felt the treatment of teen pregnancy in the novel was also overly casual and idealized. ( )
  Millerloo | Apr 19, 2014 |
3Q, 4P

Recently I've heard a lot about this book and the "Dangerous Angels" books. To be honest though, I probably wouldn't have read it if it wasn't for this class. I was pleasantly surpassed, however, by how much I liked it! Although the story was a bit disorienting and hard to follow at times, it only added to the quirkiness of the book and Weetzie.

Booktalk:

What would you do if you were granted three wishes? For Weetzie, the possibilities are endless. Instead of asking for extravagance or world peace, she asks for something a little more unconventional. Her wish throws her into a life full of adventure and romance, all the while with her best friend Dirk by her side.

However, even with three wishes at her disposal, Weetzie must still overcome hardship and loss. With her friends by her side though,Weetzie can overcome anything. Come along with Weetzie’s and her friends as they attempt to navigate their fantastically chaotic world. ( )
  lmrayvon | Apr 15, 2014 |
For my father, Irving Alexander Block
The reason Weetzie Bat hated high school was because no one understood.

Fifteen years ago Francesca Lia Block made a dazzling entrance into the literary scene with what would become one of the most talked-about books of the decade: Weetzie Bat. This poetic roller coaster swoop has a sleek new design to match its new sister and brother books, Goat Girls and Beautiful Boys. Rediscover the magic of Weetzie Bat, Ms. Blocks sophisticated, slinkster-cool love song to L.A.the book that shattered the standard, captivated readers of all generations, and made Francesca Lia Block one of the most heralded authors of the last decade.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:57 -0400)

Follows the wild adventures of Weetzie Bat and her Los Angeles friends, Dirk, Duck, and My-Secret-Agent-Lover-Man.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,498,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible