Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block

Weetzie Bat (1989)

by Francesca Lia Block

1,384None5,476 (3.65)17
3P (13) 566Spring2013Week2 (25) California (21) fairy tale (21) family (15) fantasy (93) fiction (158) friendship (48) gay (14) homosexuality (24) LA (22) LGBTQ (21) Los Angeles (81) love (28) magic (17) magical realism (93) punk (20) queer (18) read (33) relationships (18) romance (22) teen (33) to-read (14) weetzie bat (19) YA (124) YA566-4P (18) YA566-5Q (19) young adult (126) young adult fiction (19) young adult literature (23)

Review:

3Q, 4P

Recently I've heard a lot about this book and the "Dangerous Angels" books. To be honest though, I probably wouldn't have read it if it wasn't for this class. I was pleasantly surpassed, however, by how much I liked it! Although the story was a bit disorienting and hard to follow at times, it only added to the quirkiness of the book and Weetzie.

Booktalk:

What would you do if you were granted three wishes? For Weetzie, the possibilities are endless. Instead of asking for extravagance or world peace, she asks for something a little more unconventional. Her wish throws her into a life full of adventure and romance, all the while with her best friend Dirk by her side.

However, even with three wishes at her disposal, Weetzie must still overcome hardship and loss. With her friends by her side though,Weetzie can overcome anything. Come along with Weetzie’s and her friends as they attempt to navigate their fantastically chaotic world. ( )
  lmrayvon | Apr 15, 2014 |
5Q 4P

I liked the whimsical quirkiness of the novel (it often poked fun at itself) and enjoyed how each chapter felt like its own short story--it was complete, had tension, and involved a theme. The style of the prose was both engaging and rapid. It felt like dancing to an unfamiliar song and in an unfamiliar style complete with embarrassing trips, confused fumbling, and awkward rhythm.

However, the quirkiness of the story, while charming at moments, can at times be overwhelming and alienating. Scenes in the story where important, life-changing events occur are treated in a shallow rush as if the author is eager to get to the next scene, and Weetzie shrugs off the minor hiccup of trauma with elaborate jazz hands.

Nevertheless, Weetzie Bat appeals to readers looking for something different, a lifestyle and character both unique and whimsical with a wise and insightful take on life. A good read for those able to get past its surreal oddness to the gem of life lessons buried within. ( )
  Kimba512 | Apr 14, 2014 |
4Q 3P

This book took me by surprise. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting when I started reading it, but it wasn't what I got, and that wasn't even remotely a bad thing. I found the book to be engaging, magical, and surprisingly poignant. For a girl with whom I have little in common, (lives in LA, is outgoing, totally different life style) I really identified with Weetzie, which is a testimony to how well her growth as a young woman was written. Some things, I guess, are just universal. The book made me nostalgic for a place I have never been, and I cannot speak highly enough of it for that. My only complaint would be that the genie seemed out of place and broke some of my ability to remain immersed in the story. ( )
  ArynO | Apr 14, 2014 |
5Q, 4P (my VOYA codes)
A real day modern genie in sunny LA! But beware, all wishes come with a twist. Weetzie Bat and other characters in this novel are easily lovable and relatable. Teens will be able to relate to the feelings of love, grief, and friendships. Some subjects, however, are very mature and may be needed to be talked about with teens age 12-14. ( )
  sushiroll | Apr 13, 2014 |
4Q 4P (my VOYA codes). This brightly-painted view of Los Angeles through the eyes of a teenage girl and her friends that become her family reels you in with their earnest love for each other. This exploration of unconventional family systems and sexuality is an important one. This cast of characters created their own family and in the end it worked out for them. Weetzie Bat also touches on the AIDS epidemic, which is an important subject that rarely is shown in YA literature. All in all this book is a fantasy colored, glittering tale of fiction set in a magical Los Angeles with some heavy and important topics. ( )
  Crystalmiles | Apr 12, 2014 |
For my father, Irving Alexander Block
The reason Weetzie Bat hated high school was because no one understood.

Fifteen years ago Francesca Lia Block made a dazzling entrance into the literary scene with what would become one of the most talked-about books of the decade: Weetzie Bat. This poetic roller coaster swoop has a sleek new design to match its new sister and brother books, Goat Girls and Beautiful Boys. Rediscover the magic of Weetzie Bat, Ms. Blocks sophisticated, slinkster-cool love song to L.A.the book that shattered the standard, captivated readers of all generations, and made Francesca Lia Block one of the most heralded authors of the last decade.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:57 -0400)

Follows the wild adventures of Weetzie Bat and her Los Angeles friends, Dirk, Duck, and My-Secret-Agent-Lover-Man.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,498,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible