Mr Galliano's Circus by Enid Blyton

Mr Galliano's Circus (original 1938; edition 1972)

by Enid Blyton

Member:LakshmiChaitanya
Title:Mr Galliano's Circus
Authors:Enid Blyton
Info:Dean Son Ltd (1972), Edition: New edition, Hardcover, 185 pages

Mr. Galliano's Circus by Enid Blyton (1938)

Mr Galliano's Circus is an adventure story for children. It has a slightly unlikely plot scenario at the beginning. Jimmy's Brown's father, a carpenter, is out of work. Jimmy - who, I suppose, is about ten - loves animals, and spends most of his after-school hours hanging out in a circus ground, helping where he can. When the odd-job man disappears, Jimmy's father is offered a week's work, and then invited with his family to join the circus full-time. It takes them a day to sort out their house and furniture, and set off.... leaving me (as an adult) wondering about house leases and neighbours and de-registering from school and utility bills... however, as a child these concerns didn't bother me.

Then most of the book is about life in the circus as the Browns settle in and make friends. I found myself sympathising rather more with Mrs Brown than I did as a child, having to struggle to cook and clean in a tiny caravan and deal with a life quite different from anything she had ever experienced before. Of course she copes magnificently, as the best of parents do in children's stories, and there's only a little hint of snobbery in her insistence on cleanliness and education!

There are some positive moral lessons interwoven in the book - about being kind, and not letting obstacles get in the way, and so on. All good stuff, and in my view one of the better-written of Enid Blyton's books. There are two sequels in the same vein. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This was one of my favourites as a child. My children love it too. Terribly dated though. The chimpanzee smoking a cigarette is the worst of it. ( )
  OldDani | Dec 16, 2008 |
Another EB book.
  woollymammoth | Nov 22, 2006 |
One morning, just as Jimmy Brown was putting away his books at the end of school, he heard a shout from outside: "Here comes the circus!"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,678,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible