My Index of Slightly Horrifying Knowledge by…

My Index of Slightly Horrifying Knowledge

by Paul Guest

It's a good book. I like Guest's dense, linked, writing style, although it took a few poems to get used to it.

This book has been recommended to me many times, I often see it at bookstores and I've even seen people I don't know reading it.

Almost every poem is one stanza, and there were some times I really could have used a stanza break to catch my breath. Overall, one stanza suits the dense, waterfalling words.

Although I like Guest's poem titles when they are specific: "User's Guide to Physical Debilitation" and "Elegy for the Lumbering Monster," I don't like the titles that could be exchanged for other titles: "Poem Written to Replace Another" and "Poem Written Outside Wintry Mix."

My favorites in this book:

Bad Mood: This poem really captures the bad mood. Some days just feel like everything is wrong.

Valentine: There are stanzas in this poem! I like the dreaminess of the poem, and love how he describes himself on the ocean floor with a shell and claws.

My Crush: The description of pain in the body as shimmering, and the "spines full of wire" were beautiful. There is a gorgeous longing in this.

Job: This poem is really funny, and sad. I love poems about working in an office. ( )
  valerieloveland | Jan 11, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006168516X, Hardcover)

My Index of Slightly Horrifying Knowledge is a fierce and original collection—its generosity of voice and emotional range announce the arrival of a major new poet.

At the age of twelve, Paul Guest suffered a bicycle accident that left him paralyzed for life. But out of sudden disaster evolved a fierce poetic sensibility—one that blossomed into a refuge for all the grief, fury, and wonder at life forever altered. Although its legacy lies in tragedy, the voice of these brilliant poems cuts a broad swath of emotions: whether he is lamenting the potentiality of physical experience or imagining the electric temptations of sexuality, Guest offers us a worldview that is unshakable in its humanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:33 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,704,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible