Elementary Differential Equations and…

Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems

by William E. Boyce

Another tried and true reference. My only regret is that I never owned a copy of it. (Managed to get through undergrad Diff-Eq by borrowing one from a friend.) ( )
  lemontwist | May 21, 2011 |
Definitely did not like using this book. I found it hard to extract the vital information from it for tests and HW problems. It was not too clear with it's presentation though it covered a lot of information. ( )
  zaz360 | Jun 16, 2009 |
From what I've seen when I tried to find an alternative book, this might be the best out there. For someone who isn't naturally mathematically intuitive, this book sure doesn't take it easy on me. I understand that Differential Equations is a higher level math course. But this book left a lot of questions unanswered. To get through my semester, I ended up purchasing the student solutions manual and two other differential equations books. I also made use of the free lectures on the MIT website. I couldn't have gone through this course (and this book) without the supplements!

It's sad to see that I couldn't find a more highly rated differential equations text on Amazon. If someone knows of one, let me know! I finished the course, but I really would like to have a better grasp. It really is an amazing and practical field of mathematics, and apparently lays the groundwork for a lot of application. It would be a shame if I never got to fully understand it because I couldn't get my brain wrapped around this book. Who knows? Maybe I'm just slow. ( )
  blackjack000 | May 13, 2008 |
This book is comprehensive and the concepts are well explained. I'm not sure if it's really a "mathemtatical" treatment of ODE's though. There's no proper proofs of existence and uniqueness, and also nothing on dependence on initial conditions and things like that.
  kreps | Jul 28, 2006 |

This book covers all the essential topics on differential equations, including series solutions, Laplace transforms, systems of equations, numerical methods and phase plane methods. Clear explanations are detailed with many current examples.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:06 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,836,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible